Smitefire logo

Join the leading SMITE community.
Create and share God Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Isis Mage Help

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on SmiteFire.

Forum » Mentoring » Isis Mage Help 10 posts - page 1 of 1
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by NighthawkL06 » September 14, 2015 9:53pm | Report
Hello I'm not new to smite nor to mages but I am Having a huge issue while using Isis, I die way to often with her and almost never make kills, even tho i manage to play better with Anubis which is arguably more frail than Isis. I want to keep a high damage output while being able to play her well, I dunno if I am playing her wrongly, any tips on how to play her?

My current Build is in order of purchase

Shoes of the Magi
Book of Thoth
Warlock's Sash
Chrono's Pendant
Rod of Tahuti
Soul Reaver

Please if you suggest another build justify why it is better than mine. BTW this is XBOX ONE

I'm open to all recommendations and tips

Thanks in advance

NighthawkL06

Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Zilby » September 14, 2015 10:12pm | Report
well for one penetration matters hugely in terms of damage, like more so than just additional damage items, especially late game. This includes against squishy characters as well, not just against tanks and such. On Eset, I'd definitely recommend grabbing Spear of the Magus around 4th item for the damage boost. Aside from that, two stacking items is a bit overkill, I'd recommend either Book of Thoth or warlock's sash, not both (I personally like warlock's sash on Eset for the extra survivability). Aside from that, your build is fine really, maybe just look into some gameplay tips and practice with her.
Smite Account: Zilby__________Steam Account: Zilby
Blizzard: Zilby#11991_________Twitch: TheZilb

I am the most foul, cruel and bad tempered rodent you've ever set eyes upon!.. Oh, her? Yes, well... she's with me.

Feel free to PM me with any questions or comments. I can offer feedback on gameplay and BBcoding tips, as well as moderation help if needed.

Zilby
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (132)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by NighthawkL06 » September 14, 2015 10:19pm | Report
Yeah i noticed after i posted this that i forgot the penetration

I was thinking on replacing Book for Gem of Isolation and I have another question

Can you pleas explain me the difference between Spear of the Magus and Obsidian Shard? I know one gives you 15 magical penetration and the other one ignores 33% of enemies magical protection, but which one is better and why?

NighthawkL06

Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Zilby » September 15, 2015 12:34am | Report
The passive on Spear of the Magus is better against 90% of enemies as long as you have some way to get its stacks. Abilities with tick damage or multiple hits like Wing Gust are great for stacking its passive, making it usually superior on those gods. However some gods like Janus and Ra have more trouble getting these stacks since they rely on one or two abilities primarily for their damage (and have high power single hit ultimates). Thus in this scenario Obsidian Shard is a better option.

(Also if you have more questions like this, i made a guide on when and why to use/build smite's items which already contains everything I said here and more. There's a link on my signature)
Smite Account: Zilby__________Steam Account: Zilby
Blizzard: Zilby#11991_________Twitch: TheZilb

I am the most foul, cruel and bad tempered rodent you've ever set eyes upon!.. Oh, her? Yes, well... she's with me.

Feel free to PM me with any questions or comments. I can offer feedback on gameplay and BBcoding tips, as well as moderation help if needed.

Zilby
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (132)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Devampi » September 15, 2015 1:53am | Report
it's also a bit your playstyle Eset doesn't fall under the glass cannons she is partly more an utility mage (as her ult heals also heals and gives protection (I'm not sure about the protections but I believe they where))

also taking obsidian or spear depends on the enemy team as well. as most gods start with 30 MP and no scalings (all hunters and mages) or have low scalings (all other classes end at ~48 protections at lvl 20 without items)

meaning spear reduces 50% of mages and adc protections (as they don't buy magical prot) and obsidian only ~10

however against 48 obsidian removes a bit more (2 protections or something but those classes normally build protections too)

still if you can easily get those 2 stacks (which most mages can) spear is better as it removes 20 flat with 20% and 15 flat pen meaning on a target with 150 protections you will reduce it with (according to the order of armor pen/reduction):

1. 150*0.8=120 mprot (after the % reduction).
2. 120-20=100 mprot (after the 20 flat reduction)
3. (no % pen so to step 4)
4. 100-15= 85 mprot (after the flat pen)
total reduction of 65 protections

and obsidian gives your oppponent
150*0.67=100.5 mprot only a reduction of 49.5

Devampi
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (105)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Greenevers » September 15, 2015 5:53am | Report
Obsidian Shard's penetration is only better above 270 protections. And nobody builds into that much magical protection pretty much ever because of physical protections being more valuable. Mathematically, Spear of the Magus is better in almost every single way, the only difference is the extra MP that Obsidian Shard gives you. Here's a chart that shows how each item fares against different numbers of magical protection.

x = protections
Spear of the Magus - [(.8*x)-35]
Obsidian Shard - .67*x

Greenevers
<Retired Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (105)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Devampi » September 15, 2015 7:40am | Report
(psst green there is a mistake in one of your formula's 15+20 is 35 not 25. and also no one has 0 protections)

Devampi
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (105)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Greenevers » September 15, 2015 8:07am | Report
Ignore my incapability of simple addition :>. Yeah, nobody has 0 protections, just for the sake of the table I guess.

Greenevers
<Retired Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (105)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by NighthawkL06 » September 16, 2015 2:13am | Report
So I should always use spear over shard? Unless my opponent is building massive protection?

NighthawkL06

Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Devampi » September 16, 2015 6:43am | Report
Not always it really depends on the god you are playing too because some gods can't combo abilities as fast to make good use of spear.

spear is best for gods that have DoT (or something like Wing Gust) however for certain gods I would sooner use shard (low number of damage abilties and no DoT ( Janus is the best example here as his damage comes from Portal and Unstable Vortex)

Devampi
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (105)
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

SMITEFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new god, or fine tune your favorite SMITE gods’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 SMITEFire | All Rights Reserved

} } } } }