Smitefire logo

Join the leading SMITE community.
Create and share God Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

So Artio?

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on SmiteFire.

Forum » General Discussion » So Artio? 9 posts - page 1 of 1
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Authorize » October 8, 2017 2:09am | Report
So Artio's obviously a top level pick, and I can count on my one hand the amount of times I've seen her go through in ranked. That said, is she really that good?

I'm looking at this week's pro league and noticed an interesting fact. She has a terrible win/lose ratio and ban rate not as high as I thought it'd be.

*Disclaimer: This is based on Artio's pick/ban and win/lose ratio. There are tons of other variables that have to be taken into account such as which teams are facing off, the team comp etc*

Thursday:

Obey vs Elevate Game 1: Obey - Lost
Obey vs Elevate Game 2: Banned
Burrito vs Rival Game 1: Burrito - Lost
Burrito vs Rival Game 2: Burrito - Lost
Vigilant vs EUnited Game 1: Vigilant - Lost
Vigilant vs EUnited Game 2: Banned
Allegiance vs Trifecta Game 1: Allegiance - Lost
Allegiance vs Trifecta Game 2: Banned

Saturday:

Elevate vs Valance Squad Game 1: Banned
Elevate vs Valance Squad Game 2: Elevate - Win
NRG vs Rival Game 1: Banned
NRG:Rival G2: NRG - Lost
Papis vs Burrito Game 1: Banned
Papis vs Burrito Game 2: Banned
Papis vs Burrito Game 3: Banned
Dignitas vs Obey Game 1: Dignitas - Lost
Dignitas vs Obey Game 2: Banned

Sunday:

Noble vs Allegiance Game 1: Banned
Noble vs Allegiance Game 2: Banned
EUnited vs Luminosity Game 1: EUnited - Lost
EUnited vs Luminosity Game 2: Luminosity - Lost
Cryptik vs Vigilant Game 1: Banned
Cryptik vs Vigilant Game 2: Banned
Cryptik vs Allegiance Game 1: Banned
Spacestation Gaming vs Trifecta Game 1: Trifecta - Won
Spacestation Gaming vs Trifecta Game 1: Trifecta - Lost

So with this, we see the following:

(Updated)

Lost: 10
Banned: 14
Win: 2

That's a 16.7% win rate, with a 35% ban rate.

What do you think? Is she over hyped or are the stats not a true reflect of her ability?

Authorize

Notable (1)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by DV-8 » October 8, 2017 12:18pm | Report
I can only guess as to why this is.

Last week in the SPL, Artio was the most banned god by a landslide (21 bans, with Fafnir coming in second at 12 bans).

Her lower ban rate this week means 1 of 2 things:
  1. Other gods pose more of a threat, and therefore took ban priority

2. More teams have a counter-Artio strategy that they are confident in

I'm sort of leaning towards the latter. I think she is still a really strong god (top tier easily, considering how bs her kit is), but she does have weaknesses that pros can exploit.

I feel like teams are okay facing against a support Artio. She has the ability to be a solid support, but not as threatening as she is in the solo lane, which is most likely what teams have been working to counter in their strategies.

Not wanting to play into their opponents hand, it isn't very likely that a team is going to take her into the solo lane, which is why we are seeing support Artio more often now. Which is where she should be, as she is more balanced there.

That's my guess at least...

DV-8
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Prominent (35)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by SkyPirateShini » October 8, 2017 4:17pm | Report
Kinda with DV-8 here. I don't have any ranked experience and have a very basic understanding of what's meta, but I imagine her performance does boil down to the fact that with her being such a prevalent pick, most of the pros know how to fight against Artio. Teams that didn't want to deal with her either way, banned her. Those that didn't mind let her stay and knew what to do when she was picked.

SkyPirateShini

Notable (4)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Authorize » October 9, 2017 1:21am | Report
So I've updated it with Sunday's results. She ended with a 16.7% win rate, which is horrible. With only 2 wins throughout the entire weekend, I personally think she's over hyped. I agree, she is an excellent god but not the the extent that people are making her out to be. With a bit of CC she's easily shut down and even a the slightest amount of antihealing makes her heals seem non existent.

So I think you hit it pretty much on the head DV

Authorize

Notable (1)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Wayne3100 » October 9, 2017 2:10am | Report
How many games were played in total? The fact that you mention her having a 35% ban rate with 14 bans would suggest 40, just making sure.

Thing is, while win rate is definitely an indication of a God's strength, I'm not sure that a low win rate alone warrants a conclusion like that. If competitive play in SMITE is anything like I know it from League, there can be gaps in the skill level of individual teams which heavily influence (or in some cases even solely decide) this win rate regardless of the God's actual strength. In other words, if a bottom tier team were to play a top tier team 10 times and they picked the best God in the game - whoever that is - every time, there's still a good chance they'd lose 9 out of 10 games due to their inferiority as a team. That wouldn't say much about the strength of the actual God though, would it :P

I think a combined pick-ban rate (i.e. in how many games was the God picked or banned) is a better general indication of how strong a God is deemed to be by competitive players. In this case - assuming there were 40 games - her pick-ban rate would be 65%, which I will assume is pretty high among the support options.

Thanks to Janitsu for the signature!

Wayne3100
<Retired Admin>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Prominent (45)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Authorize » October 9, 2017 5:49am | Report
Wayne3100 wrote:

How many games were played in total? The fact that you mention her having a 35% ban rate with 14 bans would suggest 40, just making sure.

It is early morning and I need more coffee, but 14 bans out of 26 games this week make 35% according to this calculator. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Wayne3100 wrote:
Thing is, while win rate is definitely an indication of a God's strength, I'm not sure that a low win rate alone warrants a conclusion like that. If competitive play in SMITE is anything like I know it from League, there can be gaps in the skill level of individual teams which heavily influence (or in some cases even solely decide) this win rate regardless of the God's actual strength. In other words, if a bottom tier team were to play a top tier team 10 times and they picked the best God in the game - whoever that is - every time, there's still a good chance they'd lose 9 out of 10 games due to their inferiority as a team. That wouldn't say much about the strength of the actual God though, would it :P

Oh yes I completely agree that's why I put that disclaimer there: "*Disclaimer: This is based on Artio's pick/ban and win/lose ratio. There are tons of other variables that have to be taken into account such as which teams are facing off, the team comp etc*"

She could be the best god and still lose if piloted by someone who doesn't understand her fully or if countered or out played. A lot of the teams that did play her though ended up splitting, so there wasn't a lot of low vs high / unwinnable no matter what situations.

I was just super interested to see how high a priority she is in almost all levels of ranked, from bronze to masters, but in pro matches she can only pull out 2 wins, and most teams who split won when they didn't pick her opposed to the lose when they did pick her. Pro teams can't be compared obviously, but yeah it does interest me to see and I honestly do think she's over hyped.

Authorize

Notable (1)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by xZeroStrike » October 9, 2017 6:53am | Report
@Authorize you made the wrong calculations, then.
14 out of 26 is more than half, which would equal to over 50% (26/2 = 13), so that's a dead giveaway you made some mistakes in your calculations. If 14 bans = 35% then the result Wayne gave is correct.
If you want to recalculate that: 40/100 * 35 = 14, so 14 bans = 35% would mean 40 matches were played.

xZeroStrike
<Hunter Master>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Prominent (46)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Authorize » October 9, 2017 9:43am | Report
xZeroStrike wrote:

@Authorize you made the wrong calculations, then.
14 out of 26 is more than half, which would equal to over 50% (26/2 = 13), so that's a dead giveaway you made some mistakes in your calculations. If 14 bans = 35% then the result Wayne gave is correct.
If you want to recalculate that: 40/100 * 35 = 14, so 14 bans = 35% would mean 40 matches were played.

Now you see, this is why I shouldn't math late at night or early in the morning. Or ever...

Thanks for the correction o/ I'll edit the thread when I get home

Authorize

Notable (1)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by boogiebass » October 9, 2017 11:51am | Report
Authorize wrote:

Now you see, this is why I shouldn't math late at night or early in the morning. Or ever...

Thanks for the correction o/ I'll edit the thread when I get home

i feel ya man. i failed multiple exams because i coudlnt multiply or add.

excuse the grammatical errora. smite fire needs anandroid app :/

boogiebass
<World Serpent>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Prominent (46)
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

SMITEFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new god, or fine tune your favorite SMITE gods’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 SMITEFire | All Rights Reserved

} } } } }