Smitefire logo

Join the leading SMITE community.
Create and share God Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Is Arachne Overpowered?

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on SmiteFire.

Forum » General Discussion » Is Arachne Overpowered? 23 posts - page 1 of 3
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Subzero008 » December 14, 2013 5:43pm | Report
Exactly what the title says.

I heard she is the most powerful jungler in solo queue right now, since she is unbeatable early game 1 v 1 and even 2 v 1, and with a lack of communication she is going to destroy teams.

Subzero008

Renowned (112)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by alphacar » December 14, 2013 6:12pm | Report
Early game she wrecks face but late game she will turn into the bug that she is. If you place your wards correctly and have vision on her early game then she can't do anything.

alphacar

Memorable (13)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Raventhor » December 14, 2013 6:40pm | Report
Arachne is 'overpowered', or more accurately, strong, in soloqueue and 1v1, because of her insane ability to duel and her strength against uncoordinated teams. She's arguably THEE best assassin at picking a solo person off, because the web is very good at slowing someone, into a cocoon, into a drain life (which silences someone, guaranteeing a full duration leech), and then FINALLY an auto attack war can start. Basically, she starts the first a solid 2/3 of a health bar ahead.

However, she's near useless in teamfights unless she *magically* ults the squishy ADC or mage in the back, past the bruiser and tank in the front. So Anything other then joust 1v1 or soloqueue, she is horrible in.

Certain gods can easily beat her 1v1, especially highly mobile people who won't ever get ulted, or those that are simply tanky enough to not care, but a lot have pretty decent problems with her. Beads is a pretty solid counter, however.

In short, not really, she's just insane at picking off single targets.
-Demolibium

Raventhor
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Eminent (158)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Subzero008 » December 14, 2013 7:06pm | Report
Raventhor wrote:

Arachne is 'overpowered', or more accurately, strong, in soloqueue and 1v1, because of her insane ability to duel and her strength against uncoordinated teams. She's arguably THEE best assassin at picking a solo person off, because the web is very good at slowing someone, into a cocoon, into a drain life (which silences someone, guaranteeing a full duration leech), and then FINALLY an auto attack war can start. Basically, she starts the first a solid 2/3 of a health bar ahead.

However, she's near useless in teamfights unless she *magically* ults the squishy ADC or mage in the back, past the bruiser and tank in the front. So Anything other then joust 1v1 or soloqueue, she is horrible in.

Certain gods can easily beat her 1v1, especially highly mobile people who won't ever get ulted, or those that are simply tanky enough to not care, but a lot have pretty decent problems with her. Beads is a pretty solid counter, however.

In short, not really, she's just insane at picking off single targets.

I think she's slightly overpowered because she can do things other assassins can't, with no counterplay.

To start, she has five wards, while everyone else has a maximum of three. She can Blitzcrank people without putting herself at risk like Sobek, and I think she has the longest silence in the game. All advantages no other god has.

Loki has a way of circumventing the front line, and killing enemies quickly, as well as escaping, but he still has to put himself in danger and there is an element of risk, and an Aegis or Beads or simply bad luck can really ruin your day. (Also, I'm disappointed there is no TF2 reference there.)

Arachne can just skip the step of walking in, and can take enemies from, I think 80 feet? I think the most recent patch made it 80 feet x 5 feet. Pretty freaking long.

For instance, if she pulls you through a wall, while flanking, you don't have to go through the front line and you can't use beads, either (at least on the pull, unless you can somehow predict when she fires with no line of sight or sound). No counterplay here.

Then let's say you beads the silence; well, you are still a squishy, still have lost a lot of your health, and are alone without your friends, against an assassin. Probably going to die.

Aegis? Again, alone and with an assassin.

I know this doesn't solve her lack of usefulness in teamfights, but that doesn't matter. Hell, all assassins become near-useless in teamfights, but Arachne has options they do not. Just 'snipe' them through a wall or something, kill, done. And since there is a low cooldown (Even lower with common items like Jotunn's Wrath), not to mention the buffed length and width, you can repeat if necessary.

Because league is played in solo queue, and most matches are played in solo queue, I think she can safely be called overpowered.

Also, who are the gods who can beat her easily 1v1? I'm honestly wondering. I mean, the ability to drain health while the target is completely helpless is really, really good, even against Mercury.

PS: I wonder what happens if Mercury beads and ults while Arachne's on his back. Sounds hilarious.

Subzero008

Renowned (112)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Raventhor » December 14, 2013 7:25pm | Report
Referring to your blitzcrank pull, have you ever wondered why Blitz isn't picked competitively?
He fits into no teamcomps.

He can pull someone, but if he can't get to the person he wants, he is absolutely useless, and everything requires him either being directly on top of someone, or them not being behind minions.

Granted, Arachne can grab through minions, but she falls to the same fate. She doesn't fit in well to teamcomps, because in the simplest way, she does absolutely nothing in teamfights.

A lot of assassins have much place in teamfights. Mercury has an amazing ult, and a mini-follow up to an initiation with his fling. Ne Zha is an overall AMAZING duelist who is entirely able to dive into a teamfight, and watch a 4v4 while he's in the air killing someone. Loki is able to *safely* take out a target very easily, and escape. Fenrir, even if built as an assassin, has OBVIOUS use. New Kali even has decent AoE CC, and immunity to death on a temporary basis.

On another note, her 'silence' comes at the problem of her being at the mercy of where the opponent runs. So many times can an arachne be killed by her own spell.

Now in this little tidbit, I must admit a sense of ignorance on a matter I've never had to deal with. If you Aegis or Beads with an arachne on your back, does she get forced off, or is the silence simply removed? In either case, if the silence is removed, a lot of gods instantly counter her. Nu Wa and Loki both have their stealth remove the drain life. Kali's stun would knock her off, as well as any other god with an AoE CC.

Another final note, is Arachne past her silence has very, VERY little to do. It's EXTREMELY easy to get killed. An Agni, Poseidon, Chang'E, Apollo, Neith, Xbalanque, Anhur, etc all survive post-silence, because they have escapes that can no longer be gap-closed on.

Oh, and 1v1 gods that beat her are a) pretty much any tank in the game, b) mercury, loki, thanatos, kali, c) Chang'E (That dance is still ridiculous), d) Tyr*** I don't know why he's so good at squashing bugs, he just is, and e) Chronos. Hello fastman.

I don't know of other people atm, but that's only because I don't have the experience of them against Arachne. I'd have to assume Bastet would actually do well, with her CC immunity if she dashes in, and her cone bleed ruining the little spiders.
-Demolibium

Raventhor
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Eminent (158)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Subzero008 » December 14, 2013 8:01pm | Report
She stays on, but the enemy is no longer silenced. It's kind of funny, actually. (Kali's ultimate + Arachne, I'll miss you forever.)

Okay, regarding your point about assassins in teamfights; then that can be considered Arachne's 'niche.' Sniping. If you get an enemy squishy - pretty easy and comes with simply playing her for a while - they're pretty much toasted bagels.

This also solves your point about her target of being silenced. They have nowhere to go. (When I snipe people, I'm typically using it in either the little pockets outside the lanes (mid harpies in particular) or outside those odd blocky structures next to the phoenixes.) And enemy leapers usually don't follow, since it happens so fast and the range is so huge. (Exception: Thor and Athena.)

And about your point involving beads; those are some odd examples. Personally, I don't silence them right away except for early game; I whack 'em with a few basics and sometimes lay the web before sucking their brains out. Most of the just beads to avoid the massive slow from the web + spiders, and even if they do stun or try to fight back; that's exactly why I reserve the Drain Life.

I can't offer anything about counters. I'm clueless there, but I guess they make sense, except for Mercury. React to his self-buff by latching on; boom, he just wasted most it. His Made You Look and Special Delivery are pretty much a mild annoyance (since most of his damage comes from his steroided basics), especially with focused voidblade. Granted, he can always use his ultimate, but I consider a 30 second ultimate for a 90 second one to be a fair trade. (It doesn't help that Mercury is banned 90% of the time, so I have difficulty verifying this other than the one time in a random.)

Subzero008

Renowned (112)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Raventhor » December 14, 2013 8:14pm | Report
Mercury counters arachne 1v1 simply due to his ridiculous dueling potential. His steroid on his 2 plus his first auto attack passive hit is SO much better than arachne's passive poison. It's simply a damage thing.

Otherwise, it's not hard to lane an arachne ult, especially on like a 12 second CD (with max CDR I'm really not kidding), but it's *very* hard to hit a backline squishy. Think how close you need to be to snatch them in the first place - possible close enough to simply be initiated on!

In any case, I think I've more described why she's overpowered in low tier / soloqueue environments. She simply, like many assassins, isn't as good when they bunch up, but she suffers more than others do, except for maybe Loki. He suffers more, he's just even better to begin with.

However, none of this matters, because 100% of people are playing Ne Zha, Mercury, and Kali anyway. xD
-Demolibium

Raventhor
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Eminent (158)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Ghraf » December 14, 2013 10:00pm | Report
The only problem I have with her being "overpowered" is the fact that Cocoon can pull people THROUGH WALLS, which is outright absurd. I've been ganked out of center lane through the back of the wall of mid furies before. That shouldn't even be possible considering there's a little thing called "collision".

Ghraf

Memorable (13)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Subzero008 » December 14, 2013 10:32pm | Report
Yeah, and technically Ra shouldn't float because of a little thing called "gravity." Make Ra stand on the Ground Like a Normal God!

Subzero008

Renowned (112)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Raventhor » December 14, 2013 10:37pm | Report
What about Ao Kuang, Aphrodite, Cupid, and Zeus? :P
(Although Cupid can technically use his wings, but the other 3 examples should still fly.
Get it? Fly? HAHAH)
-Demolibium

Raventhor
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Eminent (158)
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

SMITEFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new god, or fine tune your favorite SMITE gods’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 SMITEFire | All Rights Reserved

} } } } }