Smitefire logo

Join the leading SMITE community.
Create and share God Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Hel: what am i missing?

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on SmiteFire.

Forum » General Discussion » Hel: what am i missing? 30 posts - page 1 of 3
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by CafPow » July 25, 2019 10:03am | Report
Hello everybody

I am new here, so first things first. Beforehand: i hope you don't judge me on my english, since i am not a native speaker. But i hope you can understand it anyway.
For me, i discovered Smite a few Days ago, so one could say i am really a noob here.
With Mobas i only had contact for the Time of Paragon befor it was shut down, and now i enjoy Smite a lot since it's a ton of fun for me. Besides that, i am more a Singleplayer or MMO-Player Type. At least, with MMOs the Term "Teamplay" is not new for me, and i am used to toxic behaviour which doesn't really concerns me.

I checked a lot what gods could be fun for me and i ended up with Hel, and about her i have an Issue.
It says, shes hard for beginners, but i couldn't share this experience. Maybe it is, because i always liked Chars / Classes who can "switch" and do Damage or Heal whenever it is needed. So i am used to have an Eye on the Enemy, and another one to my Mates. Quickly switching the Stance and Healing a little bit, then switching Back to continue Damaging is something, i consider to be really easy.
I have two Issues that make my life hard, first is my Aim. I miss my 1-Skill sometimes, but it gets better with Training. The same Thing is my Gameplay, which is sometimes to agressive. Since i play more defensively, it already went better for me.

Then: i read the guides here. For Hel, i take the Build that's postet by Stuke99, and i carefully read the General Conquest Guide from Branmuffin17. Both helped me a lot to improve my Gameplay. (at least i think it is).

But now: here's the Trick.
Everyone's like "Hel is so Hard", but i don't really get the Hard Point. Issues with Missing or being to aggressive i also encounter with other Gods.
That leads me to my Question: what am i missing?

I really want to improve my Skills and Gameplay, so People would enjoy to have me in their Team. I don't want to be "the Best ever"... but i want to be considered a Win for the Team. And i have the Impression that i miss something that isn't really mentioned in those two Guides.
I'd be glad if you Guys can give me Tips or some Advice that i may have overseen so far.

Thanks for your Help and Greetings
Cafy

CafPow

Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Branmuffin17 » July 25, 2019 10:10am | Report
Hi Cafy, and welcome to SF.

I wouldn't take the god "difficulty" to heart. Sometimes they're accurate, sometimes not, and it also depends on the individual player and how natural a god's kit is to them. Hel is specifically considered difficult because she's a stance switcher. However, for Hel, being in the right stance at the right time is important, and she's less straightforward than other gods due to having 7 abilities (6 + stance switch) instead of 4. She also doesn't have an escape (dash/leap/teleport) which can make things more difficult if you don't have good awareness or positioning.

She can be shut down somewhat hard due to anti-heal items ( Divine Ruin, Pestilence, Brawler's Beat Stick, Contagion), and that's a big thing because her biggest draw is her ability to heal teammates and sustain herself.

Her 1 in light stance can be difficult to hit if your teammates aren't standing still.

Those are all the reasons I can quickly think of that would make her a bit more on the difficult side...but again, I would ignore their ratings, play a variety of gods, and just figure out what you like.
Branmuffin17
<Administrator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Exalted (394)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Devampi » July 25, 2019 10:12am | Report
well the reason people call her hard is because in a lot of cases peopel find stance switchers hard. mostly cause combo's aren;t always straightforward.

hell is quite straightforward apart from her Hinder / Cleanse being hard to use for certain CC (not rermoving but disabling the CC beforehand).

another hard thing is just keeping track of CDs. And mana mana management

Devampi
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (105)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by CafPow » July 25, 2019 10:27am | Report
@Branmuffin
Thanks for the Answer. I encountered these issues too. But i thought that every God has his Weak spots. Since Stance-Dancing is not Hard for me at least, Hel could still fit.
the right Positioning (what i meant with playing more Defensive) is something, i'm still about to learn. Since i follow my Number one Rule (never Chase an Enemy for what seems to be a sure kill), i already improved my Gameplay, since i'm not dying that often anymore hehe.

/edit: i plan on playing more Gods and not rely only on 1. I am pretty comfy with Odin and Kukulkan so far, Nike seems to be okay too, and i am searching for an additional Mage that suits me. Since i think that somebody else might want to take hel sometimes. ^^

@Devampi
Thank you too. The Cooldowns is something i consider an Advantage kinda. See at level 2 i have already my 1 and my 3 Skill. And for my Enemy, that means i can Poke him with 3 Skills (dark 3, dark 1, light 1). This can be really Handy i think. But i know what you mean, with Tyr or Ullr i am not that comfortable and they also have Stance-Switches.
But Hel seems to work so far.
The Mana-Management is important. With the Chalice for Mana and the Meditation-Cloak i help myself here, until i really figure it out. I will keep an additional Eye on my Mana in the Future.

/edit
another Question:
how can i save my Setting here in my Profile so i don't recieve an E-Mail everytime someone Answers my Thread? ;)

CafPow

Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Branmuffin17 » July 25, 2019 10:46am | Report
You definitely want to get to a point where you are comfortable with multiple gods. If you were to only choose Hel, but 3 of your teammates already chose magical gods, or 2 chose mages, you would then throw off the magical/physical balance.

Since you're new, just do what you need to to get familiar with a few gods. This mostly just takes time.

Are you receiving e-mails when someone responds in this thread? I thought that option was broken...I never receive e-mails for anything on the site.
Branmuffin17
<Administrator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Exalted (394)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by CafPow » July 25, 2019 10:52am | Report
oh now you mention it, i don't recieve any emails.
i just saw the Off Button in the Profile-Settings but i couldn't "save" it. Okay then :)

and yeah, that's why i chose Odin or Nike to try out. Since i wanted a Melee / Physical God. It was exactly my train of thoughts to balance the game, and also balance my Gaming Experience. (i also like to play tanks in MMOs so i like the Melee-Feeling ^^)

I always train the Gods in the Jungle-Camp, then i do Arena and Conquest against KI, and when i feel safe i go Arena against Real Enemies, until i finally dare to join Conquest. It takes Time tho. But i consider this the Fun part of the Game. ^^

CafPow

Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Devampi » July 25, 2019 3:03pm | Report
Yeah that's pretty much the advantage of most stance switchers ( Tyr excluded) having more stuff on the first lvls. However they don't have a lvl 5 power spike which other gods have because of their ultimate.

I would recommend to learn early game mana management quickly so you can drop meditation cloak (the biggest noob trap relic in the game) it's only a relic you want to have when playing assault. A lot of the other relics are better options in the other modes.

Devampi
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (105)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by FootFetish » July 25, 2019 4:55pm | Report
Hi CafPow, welcome to the smitefire community and to smite! Uhh, overall all you have to keep in mind is that hel's Repulse / Inspire in dark stance its a close ranged ability, and Hel is very squishy (easy to kill). You should be careful when using this ability so you won't be out of position and get deleted.

Hel being a stance switcher, has no ultimate of course, but you should level Switch Stances everytime you can for the MP5 boost and the additional power / protections.

Also, back to the MP5, hel lacks mana a lot. Try to save your abilities in the early game. Clear with Decay / Restoration and save Repulse / Inspire.

In lower levels of play (Bronze, silver and perhaps gold), Hel can play agressive because new players don't really know how to counter / react to her. You should be playing safely, but not afraid.

I'd also recommend you (If you're playing Hel in conquest) to only play her mid. Yes, she can somehow be solo or support, but she's a mage and has no CC, so she is more valuable as a high burst mage than as a tanky playstyle, since her best (And only) CC/utility tool is Hinder / Cleanse, which is only a slow.

I hope this information helps you!
:)

FootFetish
<Enchanter>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Notable (4)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by CafPow » July 25, 2019 10:13pm | Report
Devampi wrote:

I would recommend to learn early game mana management quickly so you can drop meditation cloak (the biggest noob trap relic in the game) it's only a relic you want to have when playing assault. A lot of the other relics are better options in the other modes.

hmm, i thought that as support, the Cloak could also be nice since you have an additional Heal on your Hand for the Carry?

@Footfetish
Thanks for your Tips. I will try to follow them.
Bringing Repulse only when needed in Early Game to safe some Mana is a good Tip.
When it comes to playing Agressive / Defensive, i always try to check out how my Enemy is doing since i encounter already better or worse Players than me.

Most of the Time i play her Mid, tho i already tried out solo and support with her and both went okay. But i will stay in Mid until i feel safer. :)

CafPow

Permalink | Quote | +Rep by CafPow » July 25, 2019 11:20pm | Report
now: a little QQ

i just played a Conquest and i just got rekt.
after 10 Minutes, we surrendered. I knew i don't wanna feed my enemy, but even if a stayed close to my Tower or IN my Tower, i was just kinda a fancy looking Minion for my Opponent. (Agni).

After the first Kill i realized, i need to stay behind, don't risk anything etc. But i had still no chance of escaping or playing save, all my "good intentions" to play safe where completely ignored by my enemy.

Maybe, it was just not "my Match". Maybe, the other Guy was lighyears Ahead of me in Skill, sure. But what should i do in such Moments because i surely can't just wait in the Base?

CafPow

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

SMITEFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new god, or fine tune your favorite SMITE gods’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 SMITEFire | All Rights Reserved

} } } } }