Smitefire logo

Join the leading SMITE community.
Create and share God Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Design-a-God Contest - Creativity Through Restriction

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on SmiteFire.

Forum » General Discussion » Design-a-God Contest - Creativity Through Restriction 20 posts - page 1 of 2
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Subzero008 » September 18, 2015 1:57am | Report
The idea behind this contest is not like the others.

Typical design contests make you design whatever you want out of a broad category.

This contest is different: You design a MOBA kit out of a theme already given.

Why? Because it is an established psychological phenomenon that constraints can help with creativity - sort of like how a faucet's pressure increases if you restrict the water output.

Constraint: Flight. Design a character who can leave the ground and stay there.

This one is rather light on the restriction (ha), being only one sole rule: having flight. That said, I look forward to seeing what people can make of this, since the third dimension is pretty rare in MOBAs.

Rules:

1: Follow the rules of the constraint. Duh. If you're not sure if your idea fits, ask.

2: It doesn't have to be a "god," per-se; just a MOBA kit. It could be a OC or a character from wherever. Doesn't matter.

3: Put in a [CTR1] on any entries. Doesn't really matter if its a blog or thread.

Judgement: Three things you should have in mind are:

Creativity: Seriously, don't copy another kit, or "tweak" it a la HiRez. Riot taking Shallow Grave from Dota and turning it into an AoE ult that affects allies AND enemies is originality. HiRez copying Karthus' Requiem is not. Those who are not afraid to break the rules and the meta kits will be rewarded.

Balance: While becoming untargetable for ten seconds while up in the air raining down hellfire does get the point across quite well, it's not exactly balanced. You are designing a kit that players will meet as an ally and as an enemy, and it must feel fair and fun for both sides.

Theme: The kit must have a clear and defined role in the game. You can't have Mr. Generic McGenericsauce the Generic (*cough* Rat *cough*). The kit you are designing should exist to fulfill a role, not be only slightly different than what another god can do, like Serqet being Fenrir 2.0.

Have fun?

Subzero008

Renowned (112)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Zilby » September 18, 2015 7:34am | Report
My idea is the egyptian goddess Isis. She uses flight to flappy bird people with her wings. When she's mad she makes them explode.

K thanks bai

(In all seriousness though, I'll probs make one for this contest since I haven't been doing much on the site as of late)
Smite Account: Zilby__________Steam Account: Zilby
Blizzard: Zilby#11991_________Twitch: TheZilb

I am the most foul, cruel and bad tempered rodent you've ever set eyes upon!.. Oh, her? Yes, well... she's with me.

Feel free to PM me with any questions or comments. I can offer feedback on gameplay and BBcoding tips, as well as moderation help if needed.

Zilby
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (132)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Zilby » September 18, 2015 11:57am | Report
I made a thing. I will concede I didn't use flight so much as a third dimension as a jumping point for where I ended up taking this god's kit. Also I don't think I've done this before so be gentle ;]
Smite Account: Zilby__________Steam Account: Zilby
Blizzard: Zilby#11991_________Twitch: TheZilb

I am the most foul, cruel and bad tempered rodent you've ever set eyes upon!.. Oh, her? Yes, well... she's with me.

Feel free to PM me with any questions or comments. I can offer feedback on gameplay and BBcoding tips, as well as moderation help if needed.

Zilby
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (132)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by GameGeekFan » September 18, 2015 2:30pm | Report
Hmm I like the idea. Let me get my brain cells to come up with an idea.

Would you mind SubZero if I made the character based around clouds and lightning? He (or maybe she idk yet) would still be floating, unlike zues with his flying nimbis.

GameGeekFan
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (50)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Devampi » September 18, 2015 2:58pm | Report
Subzero008 wrote:

Riot taking Shallow Grave from Dota and turning it into an AoE ult that affects allies AND enemies is originality.

I don;t know which ability you are aiming at but daaaaaazzzzzzzzzle's shallow grave goes into effect on both enemies and allies (giving allies armour and reducing the enemy armour for x seconds per tick so at the end the enemy has lower armor and you higher)

Devampi
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (105)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by RazeMage » September 18, 2015 3:13pm | Report
Bro, he's talking about shallow graves, not weave

RazeMage
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (58)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Devampi » September 19, 2015 1:52am | Report
RazeMage wrote:

Bro, he's talking about shallow graves, not weave

owh my bad all of dazzles ability names are so much alike (especially if you have friends who also say put shadow or shallow before weavev (and I;m not talking about his heal)

Devampi
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (105)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Subzero008 » September 20, 2015 1:26am | Report
GameGeekFan wrote:

Hmm I like the idea. Let me get my brain cells to come up with an idea.

Would you mind SubZero if I made the character based around clouds and lightning? He (or maybe she idk yet) would still be floating, unlike zues with his flying nimbis.

As long as it involves getting off the ground, it's fine.

Subzero008

Renowned (112)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by GameGeekFan » September 20, 2015 6:29pm | Report
https://www.smitefire.com/smite/blog/gamegeekfan/duslica-lady-of-the-skies-ctr1

And here you go. Tried my best to make all the abilities work.

GameGeekFan
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (50)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Arvorus » September 23, 2015 4:51pm | Report
I tried making a god. This is also my first time, so hopefully I didn't screw up.

https://www.smitefire.com/smite/blog/arvorus/averaderaaz-demon-of-the-mist-ctr1
Credit goes to Faythe!

Arvorus
<Superb Sniper>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (10)
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

SMITEFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new god, or fine tune your favorite SMITE gods’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 SMITEFire | All Rights Reserved

} } } } }