Smitefire logo

Join the leading SMITE community.
Create and share God Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Bad Matchup Help

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on SmiteFire.

Forum » General Discussion » Bad Matchup Help 20 posts - page 2 of 2
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Wayne3100 » October 21, 2015 4:15am | Report
This may be slightly off-topic, but is there a quick way to learn about which Gods are considered a counter to other Gods? That'd be the main help I need in terms of matchups right now, learning more about them in the first place :P

(my own games aren't always a great indication as player skill varies quite drastically in pre-30 games)

Subzero008 wrote:

Edit: Dear lord the quote command is broken again.

It's actually related to the ................... in your post, if you drastically reduce how many dots you use the quote will work again (not quite sure what the logic behind that is, to be fair)

Wayne3100
<Retired Admin>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Prominent (45)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Greenevers » October 21, 2015 8:02am | Report
So Fenrir red pot Bluestone Pendant is a pretty dumb thing. I've run it dozens of times and it doesn't take the best player to do well with it. Yes, you shouldn't have assumed who the solo laner was. I would've thought it was Fenrir, he's a more common solo than Kali but it could have been both. Warding is a good idea or if you wouldn't change your itemization, after you clear your speed buff, check T. They most likely cleared around same time you did and because of Bumba's Mask, the enemy jungler will always have top gold. Using T is another good way to check for mid camp -> Blue invades. If you notice that your team is ahead in gold/xp after you get speed and the graph has dipped from whatever they got, it means they most likely started mid camps. It could mean they started backs as well but they'd get backs first and then you'd go up. Most ideal way is to ward, this is just like a last minute tactic.

Beating Fenrir in lane is knowing what he wants to do. He wants to get his runes, jump stun you while you're in wave, and poke you until level 5 he will just kill you if he hasn't already. If you're being smart and not standing in your wave, you will out clear him. Or if he wastes both Unchained and Brutalize on the wave, you're free to pressure him as he tries to auto the archers. If you outclear him, Fenrir will wait until level 5 where he will jump stun you, ult you, and bring you under tower. "Playing safe" is also playing smart!

@Wayne3100

tbh, there aren't many "hard counters". There's a whole bunch of good picks against "x" god but it will never guarantee anything. Awilix against a Fenrir in solo is a hard counter. But in the jungle, it's not as big a deal. In solo, you have to just know how to play the matchup properly. There is mobacounter.com/smite but a lot of times doesn't make sense and isn't really reliable for the most part. Here's a list of "counters" in roles I had in a previous post. Just ask on which ones you aren't sure of why. Because it isn't always clear why this god counters this god.

Awilix > Hun Batz/Bastet/Fenrir/Scylla
Hun Batz > Janus/Loki
Serqet > Arachne/Bellona
Arachne > Thanatos/Ratatoskr/Ao Kuang
Thanatos > Khepri/Thor/Bellona
Thor > Serqet
Nemesis > Zhong Qui
Anhur > Cupid
Cupid > Xbal
Chang'e > Ra/Aphro
Loki > Ah Puch
Osiris/Hou Yi > Loki
Geb > Ymir/Ao Kuang/Fenrir
Ares > Geb/Awilix
Sobek > Sylvanus
Athena > Bacchus
Odin > Hel

etc etc

Greenevers
<Retired Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (105)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Zilby » October 21, 2015 9:03am | Report
@Sub, yeah I'm not a fan of bluestone pendant either, neither of its versions have really had a positive effect on the game.

@Vithaliy, I wasn't surprised you said something smart, I was just commenting that that was a smart point :P

@Wayne, as green said mobacounter is a decent site but it only really applies to laning matchups and even then it's just based on win rates I'm fairly sure. Green's matchups are all accurate.

@Green, watching gold difference is also a good tactic I didn't think of, I'd probably be too lazy to do this in a casual match XD
Greenevers wrote:
Beating Fenrir in lane is knowing what he wants to do. He wants to get his runes, jump stun you while you're in wave, and poke you until level 5 he will just kill you if he hasn't already. If you're being smart and not standing in your wave, you will out clear him. Or if he wastes both Unchained and Brutalize on the wave, you're free to pressure him as he tries to auto the archers. If you outclear him, Fenrir will wait until level 5 where he will jump stun you, ult you, and bring you under tower. "Playing safe" is also playing smart!

This would apply if there was any way to safely get close enough to the wave to get xp without dying. Where I died the first time, I wasn't even within xp range, that's how ridiculous it was. If you can't get xp, there's no real way to counter him once he hits level 5.
Smite Account: Zilby__________Steam Account: Zilby
Blizzard: Zilby#11991_________Twitch: TheZilb

I am the most foul, cruel and bad tempered rodent you've ever set eyes upon!.. Oh, her? Yes, well... she's with me.

Feel free to PM me with any questions or comments. I can offer feedback on gameplay and BBcoding tips, as well as moderation help if needed.

Zilby
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (132)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Devampi » October 21, 2015 9:40am | Report
I know this isn't a big thing in Smite but maybe a (partial) lane swap had worked out

Devampi
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (105)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Wayne3100 » October 21, 2015 11:38am | Report
Zilby wrote:

@Wayne, as green said mobacounter is a decent site but it only really applies to laning matchups and even then it's just based on win rates I'm fairly sure. Green's matchups are all accurate.

Win rate is still a better indicator than community voting (which I know some of the LoL matchup sites are based on), good to know though.

@ Greenevers

I'll stick to the "counters" that involve Gods I actually play:

Greenevers wrote:

Hun Batz > Janus

Is this due to Hun Batz' ability to tag Janus with Sacred Monkey before he Portals away so he can follow him (assuming no minions are around for the monkey to jump to in the meantime)?

Greenevers wrote:

Serqet > Arachne/Bellona
Thanatos > Khepri/Thor/Bellona

Anything that's good vs Bellona deserves my attention, though I can't say I'm entirely familiar with Serqet's and Thanatos' kits. Care to elaborate?

Greenevers wrote:

Chang'e > Ra/Aphro

Wasn't aware Moonflower Dance reduces healing, gotcha. I'm a little unsure about how easy it is for her to be in a melee vicinity of Ra/ Aphrodite + teammates, but I get the idea. Thanks.

Wayne3100
<Retired Admin>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Prominent (45)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Greenevers » October 21, 2015 12:27pm | Report
Wayne3100 wrote:

Is this due to Hun Batz' ability to tag Janus with Sacred Monkey before he Portals away so he can follow him (assuming no minions are around for the monkey to jump to in the meantime)?

yes
Wayne3100 wrote:

Anything that's good vs Bellona deserves my attention, though I can't say I'm entirely familiar with Serqet's and Thanatos' kits. Care to elaborate?
Missed that Serqet > Thanatos because of her ultimate.

Serqet can interrupt Bellona's Bludgeon with Cobra's Kiss and Last Breath. Less importantly, Last Breath doesn't let Bellona heal with Scourge. She isn't an auto attack god so Shield Bash doesn't do much except slow her. The only thing Bellona will ever have on top of Serqet is her ability to disarm when Serqet is applying her passive.

Thanatos can similarly interrupt Bellona's Bludgeon with Soul Reap. Bludgeon will go on cooldown. Thanatos is ability based like Serqet and Scourge and Shield Bash doesn't pertain to him unless you build into autos late game. Lastly, you can avoid Bellona's stun ( Eagle's Rally) with Hovering Death with enough reaction speed. Similar reason Thanatos is a well known counter to Thor. Soul Reap can interrupt beserkers barrage and if you time it right when Thor throws his hammer, if you Soul Reap fast enough, he won't be able to teleport.

Oh and mobacounter.com isn't based on win rates, it's on public votes.

Greenevers
<Retired Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (105)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Wayne3100 » October 21, 2015 12:40pm | Report
Oh boy, well I guess that comment backfired then huh :P Will make sure to take the suggestions with a grain of salt in that case. Thanks for the explanations.

Wayne3100
<Retired Admin>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Prominent (45)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Devampi » October 21, 2015 12:42pm | Report
don't forget thanatos % hp damage and insane heal from Death Scythe

Devampi
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (105)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Greenevers » October 21, 2015 12:49pm | Report
@Zilby

Yeah I was just saying try to clear and not stand in the vicinity of your melee and ranged minions. Don't use Stop Time to clear and save it for when he uses Unchained so you can stun him mid Brutalize.

Greenevers
<Retired Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (105)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Zilby » October 21, 2015 2:15pm | Report
@Green, thought the one site was by win rate, my mistake, I don't use it very often outside of joust 1v1's XD

Also saving Stop Time wasn't doing much good since he was always at full runes, thus his stun + Brutalize came out fast enough that I wasn't able to stun him before I was dead QQ.
Smite Account: Zilby__________Steam Account: Zilby
Blizzard: Zilby#11991_________Twitch: TheZilb

I am the most foul, cruel and bad tempered rodent you've ever set eyes upon!.. Oh, her? Yes, well... she's with me.

Feel free to PM me with any questions or comments. I can offer feedback on gameplay and BBcoding tips, as well as moderation help if needed.

Zilby
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (132)
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

SMITEFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new god, or fine tune your favorite SMITE gods’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 SMITEFire | All Rights Reserved

} } } } }