Smitefire logo

Join the leading SMITE community.
Create and share God Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Aegis and Fixing Anubis Discussion

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on SmiteFire.

Forum » General Discussion » Aegis and Fixing Anubis Discussion 36 posts - page 2 of 4
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Zanestorm » December 9, 2013 1:33pm | Report
Subzero008 wrote:

Counter 1: Aegis is meant to be a counter, but NOT for everything, or else no one would buy other actives.

Counter 2: Go into a ranked match, pick Noobis, and watch them buy Aegis.

Counter 3: I already wrote this; it doesn't matter when you can just kill Anubis.

Counter 4: Smart players wait for the Grasping Hands to start.

Counter 5: Yes, a counter. Not an item that makes him completely helpless and useless.

1) Being immune to ANY damage for 2 seconds isn't meant to be a counter for mitigating any damage? Oh ok. Despite Aegis being powerful, its expensive. And it takes up a slot that for some gods can be better used. It isn't as powerful as you're making it out to be, otherwise everybody would take aegis as you say. [For reference, aegis is at most as common as beads.]

2) As I said previously, even maxed rank [which puts you 900g behind] has a higher cooldown than anubis. I fail to see the issue with it.

3) You can just kill any good when they've burned their combo stupidly. Solution? Don't waste your combo for no reason.

4) Smart players also grasping hands to bait aegis without ulting.

5) Since when is anubis helpless and useless? TWO massively damaging AOE'S, a consistent, strong stun, and a massively damaging ult. Do you mean he's useless when all his skills are used? WELCOME TO PLAYING MAGE.

Zanestorm

Remarkable (9)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Subzero008 » December 9, 2013 1:46pm | Report
Silv3rX wrote:

What you are saying is ******** and probably applies to Arena, but definitly not to conquest. You said yourself that you do not play much of conquest.. Means that you do not play much of a Moba. And Ares definitly lacks the ability of being a decent tank in Moba terms.

What he said.

1) It's like you're ICEN 2.0 in terms of obtuseness. Aegis blocks all damage, yes, but it doesn't counter everything. I tire of repeating myself: If you Aegis Poseidon's Kraken, you still have his other abilities to worry about. Not so for Anubis.

2) This statement makes me realize you are inexperienced with this game. My point is that the Anubis won't get the chance to repeat because he will be DEAD! And active items are meant for mistakes! So let's say you're skilled enough to juke Mummify 5/6 times (unlikely). That 1/6 will be blocked by Aegis. That's the point.

3) You do realize that you can use the new Aegis in the middle of a combo? You can't feint the combo, genius, because you can just wait.

4) Okay, you Mummify, then use Grasping Hands, then NOT use your other abilities? Anubis' PlagueLocust isn't enough on its own, and it cannot be used with his ultimate, which is difficult to hit.

5) You know what? You're either blind, or something else:

[comment edited by mod]

Subzero008

Renowned (112)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Aj17 » December 9, 2013 2:00pm | Report
Ok Zanestorm, Its seems everyone feels the same about aegis so I won't say anything about that except now there are more ways to get out of fenrir's ult, so me as a fenrir player am not happy but it is what it is. But you're anubis rework is interesting to me. embalming as a damage shield is pretty cool and as I was skimming through the comments I saw some talk of anubis needing mobility. so heres my take. Anubis was designed to be turret, and by that I meen low mobility (if any at all) but be enough of a damage threat to not be walked over, hence why people don't just walk right up to anubis , or in some cases can't. I feel he should retain this playstyle while straying away from the combo as you explained. I like that, and I would like to see "exactly" that. the Idea of marking someone with locust and that person now being an emitter for a aoe locust dot is pretty cool and dangerous, so long as it cannot spread like AMC's bees and that it is not as powerful as ao's tornado. but this is just my two cents really.

Aegis killing Anubis: naw anubis is aight.

Anubis rework: Yes please.
gUise iM goen AD Ymir, Wee gOt diS.... hue hue hue hue hue

Aj17

Notable (4)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Ghraf » December 9, 2013 4:22pm | Report
ICEN wrote:

:D **** I forgot about that new Aegis.

But either way even the new Aegis can't be used when stunned... at least I hope and the reason why I personally don't care too too much is because they will go on cooldown so even if it saves someone from a 1-2 second death in my eyes they just prolong their already dead *** and I will get them when they come back for round 2.

Yes it can. Read the new description. It can be used while CCed.

Ghraf

Memorable (13)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Ghraf » December 9, 2013 4:25pm | Report
I don't think Anubis needs a rework, tbh. His playstyle is unique and specific to him. He's one of my favorite gods to mid or jungle with. Changing his Plague of Locusts would cripple him in some game modes (or when playing him jungle) because it scales faster than Grasping Hands. You can't really change much about him without breaking something else. He's a "melee mage", that's really all there is to it.

And if I force the enemy to blow 900 gold on an Aegis just to counter my whambo, I think I'm doing my job right. That means they have to make a decision about their second active and more than likely won't get to help their team to their full potential.

Solution: Don't use your full whambo on them if you see them Aegis, duh. If they're willing to eat Grasping Hands and Plague of Locusts to hold their Aegis over to block my ult, they're probably dead anyways. If they use Aegis as soon as Grasping Hands starts, then I just walk away while they're either stuck sitting on the ground or getting out. If they decide to chase me when Mummify and Grasping Hands are down, then turn and burn them with Plague of Locusts and by now Mummify is probably back up so GG, Mummify, Death Gaze. Or they could kill me while also taking severe damage themselves, crippling them and forcing them to RTB or letting jungle come clean up. Don't really see anything broken with that either.

From further reading, all of your points about Aegis "countering Anubis" are things that will happen to literally any god that uses their useful skills on someone in Aegis. Just don't do it.

Ghraf

Memorable (13)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Zanestorm » December 9, 2013 4:44pm | Report
Subzero008 wrote:

1) It's like you're ICEN 2.0 in terms of obtuseness. Aegis blocks all damage, yes, but it doesn't counter everything. I tire of repeating myself: If you Aegis Poseidon's Kraken, you still have his other abilities to worry about. Not so for Anubis.

- If you KNOW someone has aegis active, and you KNOW you rely on using all your abilities at once but that will be countered, why would you use your ULTIMATE? Grasping hands > mummify > locusts deals very good damage. If they aegis out of that then you can attack them. If not, they're very low hp, and not strictly likely to persue.

2) This statement makes me realize you are inexperienced with this game. My point is that the Anubis won't get the chance to repeat because he will be DEAD! And active items are meant for mistakes! So let's say you're skilled enough to juke Mummify 5/6 times (unlikely). That 1/6 will be blocked by Aegis. That's the point.

- I don't play anubis *much* as I think he is a boring god admittedly. That said, just because somebody aegis'd you for 2 seconds MAX of damage, that doesnt make you dead. That just gives them the upper hand - if it bothers you so much buy a defensive active like blink to actually escape. That way you're countering their counterplay.

3) You do realize that you can use the new Aegis in the middle of a combo? You can't feint the combo, genius, because you can just wait.

- True, but as said in one you can use your non ult combo. If they decide to eat that damage, they will be close to dead [normally anyway, ofc not true for tanks / some bruisers]

4) Okay, you Mummify, then use Grasping Hands, then NOT use your other abilities? Anubis' PlagueLocust isn't enough on its own, and it cannot be used with his ultimate, which is difficult to hit.

- If they have aegis, you can hands > mummify > locust [ofc you have to be close] or just flat out poke them with mummify > hands [ofc not ideal though] The point is, he isn't useless. Hands on its own does fantastic damage, locusts can as well. Its not like he's useless.

5) You know what? You're either blind, or something else:

[comment edited by mod]

As for the last bit - I have no issue with you whatsoever. I disagree with you and have opinions of my own, because I'm not you. I'm sorry if disagreeing with you has angered you, or if I've come across as overly aggressive / whatever else, but I didn't mean to. I'd comment on the rest - but it's just ad hominem attacks. And I'm sure that would just add more fuel to the fire.

Sorry if I've offended you, I'll refrain from making my opinions clear on your posts from now on.

Zanestorm

Remarkable (9)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by ICEN » December 9, 2013 9:12pm | Report
Why do you keep saying that once you use Aegis Anubis he can't kill you? He can kill you...

thats the whole point of the cooldown on Aegis.... it only allows you to use it ONCE when you need it. Anubis can spam like 50 abilities before Aegis ever comes back on cooldown so if Anubis can't kill you in 50 skills then your playing against someone who is bad at Anubis.

What his 1 isn't enough by itself? Yes it is ENOUGH it does ALOT of damage more than other mages have. Anubis 1 can clear a damn jungle buff WITHOUT USING ANY OTHER ABILITY.

So to say his 1 is not enough to kill someone is not true at all, Stand in his 1 and tell me how your hp looks after that.

Also your acting like Aegis only counters Anubis when it counters almost all gods in the game. The point of Aegis is to make you INVINCIBLE FOR a few seconds and thats it. It goes on cooldown and any damage after that you are going the grave yard.

Do you know what I think in my brain when I see someone Aegis me in matches no matter which god I pick? I don't really care because I'm just going to kill them when aegis goes on cooldown.

To me Aegis is only prolonging someone's death, thats how I look at it.
You can aegis anubis and survive but it doesn't change the fact that once it goes on cooldown they are coming for that sweet ***

ICEN

Prominent (41)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Subzero008 » December 10, 2013 12:49am | Report

Ghraf wrote:

I don't think Anubis needs a rework, tbh. His playstyle is unique and specific to him. He's one of my favorite gods to mid or jungle with. Changing his Plague of Locusts would cripple him in some game modes (or when playing him jungle) because it scales faster than Grasping Hands. You can't really change much about him without breaking something else. He's a "melee mage", that's really all there is to it.

Uh, the damage doesn't change, you know. Just the mechanic. There's not much difference, damage-wise, between 300 damage over 2 seconds and a flat 300 damage nuke.

Ghraf wrote:
And if I force the enemy to blow 900 gold on an Aegis just to counter my whambo, I think I'm doing my job right. That means they have to make a decision about their second active and more than likely won't get to help their team to their full potential.

That's fallacious thinking. Don't think of it as, "They have to spend 900 gold to counter me," think of it as, "They can counter me with just 900 gold."

Ghraf wrote:
Solution: Don't use your full whambo on them if you see them Aegis, duh. If they're willing to eat Grasping Hands and Plague of Locusts to hold their Aegis over to block my ult, they're probably dead anyways.

I smell ********. Yeah, you wrap then, grope them, and spit bugs on them, and they're NOT going to Aegis? How on earth can you think that?

That is exactly my point: If you burn all of your non-ultimate abilities to no effect, then you will lose the next engagement, period.

And if you have played Anubis at all against good players, you would realize that using Death Gaze on a mobile target is extremely foolish.

Ghraf wrote:
If they use Aegis as soon as Grasping Hands starts, then I just walk away while they're either stuck sitting on the ground or getting out(A). If they decide to chase me when Mummify and Grasping Hands are down, then turn and burn them with Plague of Locusts and by now Mummify is probably back up so GG, Mummify, Death Gaze(B).

Parenthesized capitals are mine.

For scenario A, you just limited yourself to Locusts and Death Gaze, and both cannot be used at the same time. Locusts does not do enough damage by itself, and Death Gaze is spectacularly ineffective on a moving target.

Scenario B: Mummify has a base 14 second cooldown IF AND ONLY IF IT IS MAX RANK, and starts at 18 seconds. You are probably going to level up Grasping Hands first for the waveclear, and the earliest you would level Mummify at 5 is level 14, but if you went for leveling Plague of Locusts it will only be fully leveled at 20. Either way, either your mummify or your Plague of Locusts are going to cease being a threat.

Even at level 20, with all of them at max rank, a single Plague of Locusts will still not be a threat, because any carry or mage is going to kill you in roughly 2 seconds.

So basically your entire example was sophistry. Nice job.

Ghraf wrote:
Or they could kill me while also taking severe damage themselves, crippling them and forcing them to RTB or letting jungle come clean up. Don't really see anything broken with that either.

Okay, they easily kill you, recall, and come back a few seconds later with more gold, more XP, and anywhere but early game, a few moments of uninterrupted laning. And you don't see a problem with that, apparently. And all for a 900 gold investment.

Ghraf wrote:
From further reading, all of your points about Aegis "countering Anubis" are things that will happen to literally any god that uses their useful skills on someone in Aegis. Just don't do it.

It's like you just ignored roughly 1/4 of my words.

If you use Aegis on someone else, they can still kill you or at least use an ability to fight back or escape! Anubis, as I discussed, cannot do this without ceasing to become a threat!

Please tell me you understood that.

Let's say you Aegis a carry. They still have their basics and/or their escapes.

A mage? They still have all of their other abilities, and more importantly,

they can still use them because they don't have to burn every single one of them to be effective! That is the problem with Anubis!

A bruiser? Aagin, basics.

Anubis? Either he wastes one of his two main damage skills, or he becomes completely helpless, excluding his Death Gaze.

Subzero008

Renowned (112)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by ICEN » December 10, 2013 4:23am | Report
Funny I have yet to meet someone who has been using Aegis to counter Anubis...
beads is much better... I hope a dummy uses aegis so I can wrap them up after wards.

I like how you think all Anubis players will blow 4 skills on someone with aegis.

Reality check not all Anubis's are going to blow 4 skills on someone with aegis unless they are stunned and can't use aegis.

BTW If you build Anubis with two life steal items, 2 defense items and 2 offense items you will pretty much win any 1v1 with almost any mage in the game. At least from what I been seeing when I built that. I can eat damage and heal all my hp back while taking it while they cannot take the damage or sustain their hp. Anubis already does alot of damage hes deadly either way

Just remember I said ALMOST any 1v1 I didn't say all 1v1's. Meaning anyone who runs into Anubis running around a corner can say goodbye if they don't have beads or have it on cooldown.

SCREW AEGIS it doesn't counter anything when Anubis's ult melts you 100-0 in 2-3 seconds

The only way to counter Anubis is to have aegis and beads both.

And some people are good with Anubis's ult even when someone is not mummified, I can personally ult someone on low hp and stay on them long enough for them to die without them being CC'd as long as they are in range I can ult them and stay on them for at least 2 seconds. Being I can do that on an xbox controller I would dare to say people can do it even better with a mouse.

ICEN

Prominent (41)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Nex The Slayer » December 10, 2013 5:00am | Report
You know Subzero008 is mad at you when he goes all Phoenix Wright on your ***!

Nex The Slayer

Prominent (37)
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

SMITEFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new god, or fine tune your favorite SMITE gods’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 SMITEFire | All Rights Reserved

} } } } }