Smitefire logo

Join the leading SMITE community.
Create and share God Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

How to make Supports viable again

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on SmiteFire.

Thread Locked

This thread has been locked by the moderators, you cannot reply to it.

Forum » Build & Guide Discussion » How to make Supports viable again 24 posts - page 2 of 3

Poll Question:

Do you think that Support is a lacking role?
Yeah!
Nah!
VOTE
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Subzero008 » July 17, 2015 12:31pm | Report
As yet another complaint:

Sov and Amulet have the uninteractivity problem. There's no interaction - you buy the item, or lose. Teamfights can be decided on who got the item first. It's really dumb.

Because there's a huge difference between attacking a squishy with 30 MR and a squishy with 50 MR. I think it's a 15% damage reduction, in terms of relative difference between the two.

You can see how that's significant.

On top of that, you can't interact with them in a significant way, and no, buying pen isn't the answer. Everyone buys pen. Pen happens regardless of whether this item exists. Pen is for tanks and bruisers. Regardless of what kind of pen item you have, +20 Armor or MR is something you have to deal with. (On top of that, with 15 pen, the difference between 15 effective MR and 35 effective MR is about 17.5% damage reduction, if I still remember the formula for damage reduction and protections.)

So think of this item as "squishies around you gain anywhere from ten to twenty percent damage reduction," and you can see how significant it is in a teamfight.

Subzero008

Renowned (112)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Subzero008 » July 17, 2015 12:45pm | Report
Wait.

30/130 x 100 = 23.0769230769 damage reduced, or 77 damage taken, or 23% damage reduction.

50/130 x 100 = 38.4615384615 damage reduced, or 61.5 damage taken, or 38.5% damage reduction.

Additively, it's only a difference of 15.5% damage reduction.

But on a relative scale, the second number takes 20% less damage than the first number. To rephrase it, the one with 50 protections takes 20% less damage than the one with 30 protections.

Food for thought.

Subzero008

Renowned (112)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Setolino » July 17, 2015 1:16pm | Report
Wtf are you guys talking about rofl, support is currently more fun than it ever was, huehuehue no HoG force buy anymore.

For real tho, that Smite is lacking items is nothign new, they should stop releasing new gods for the next 3 months and focus on items. The diversity is a fking joke. If you compare it to Dota.
"Wololol" -Age of Empires

Setolino
<Godlike>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (18)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Zilby » July 17, 2015 1:33pm | Report
HoG debuff was good but I do agree that locking supports into sov and heartward does limit supports and their gameplay a lot :[[[
Smite Account: Zilby__________Steam Account: Zilby
Blizzard: Zilby#11991_________Twitch: TheZilb

I am the most foul, cruel and bad tempered rodent you've ever set eyes upon!.. Oh, her? Yes, well... she's with me.

Feel free to PM me with any questions or comments. I can offer feedback on gameplay and BBcoding tips, as well as moderation help if needed.

Zilby
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (132)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by JohnTheScout » July 17, 2015 8:32pm | Report
i don't think its the items that are much a problem but how the role works in general that can be a bother thing about supports is, its a class that can't be played easily with strangers, it requires teamwork with your team to be the most effective, its the reason i don't touch it unless i'm with friends, you need to be able to know your teams strengths and weaknesses are, how good your carry is and how aggressive they are, know their strategies, this all can effect your build heavily, you don't get that form of knowledge and communication with randoms, i think they can do some things with supports to fix this through some item changes and such, but for the time being i just don't think supports can't play well with people you really don't know or trust...
"You have signed your contract with death, I have come to collect!"

JohnTheScout

Permalink | Quote | +Rep by SepticFir8 » August 15, 2015 6:06pm | Report
Well, OP, I don't know a lot about Aphrodite. I'm an Ares fan myself, so I know the pain of the support role. The support role itself isn't the most glorious or impressive role, but the Guardians are really cool!

If it helps, Watcher's gift is a god send for the support role. Takes a lot of patience to get going, but a kill assist or two helps a lot as well.

If you get tired of using Aphrodite, try Ares, Sobek, or Ymir. You'll actually get a few kills, and they are a heck of a lot cooler than Aphrodite anyways.

SepticFir8

Notable (2)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Subzero008 » August 16, 2015 12:22am | Report

Subzero008

Renowned (112)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Setolino » August 16, 2015 2:18am | Report
[comment edited by mod]
"Wololol" -Age of Empires

Setolino
<Godlike>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (18)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Subzero008 » August 16, 2015 1:42pm | Report
Setolino wrote:

[comment edited by mod]

And pray tell, what exactly are you insinuating?

[comment edited by mod]

Subzero008

Renowned (112)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Stuke99 » August 16, 2015 2:59pm | Report
Alright, Sub, enough. I'm not going to let this treat get locked down because of a stupid fight. Everyone just get along and don't try to insult each other because it's not going to get us everywhere.

Stuke99
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (56)
View My Blog

SMITEFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new god, or fine tune your favorite SMITE gods’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 SMITEFire | All Rights Reserved

} } } } }