Smitefire logo

Join the leading SMITE community.
Create and share God Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Spear of the Magus?

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on SmiteFire.

Forum » Theory Crafting » Spear of the Magus? 14 posts - page 1 of 2
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by SmellyHarry » December 7, 2012 8:15pm | Report
Spear of the Magus gives 30 magical penetration.

I was just wondering if anyone could clarify what this means exactly. Is "Penetration"" any different than an item like Void Stone which simply reduces magical protection by 30?

For example facing a god with 50 magical protection when I have a Spear of the Magus means my spells' damage only have to go through 20 magical protection, correct?

Now if I added Void Stone on top of that would the enemy have 0 magical protection or -10?

I see a lot of people opting for the Spear of the Magus early game, do you think that is worth the 2050 gold cost?

SmellyHarry

Memorable (10)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by bewareofthepig » December 7, 2012 9:51pm | Report
It would reduce the enemy to zero unless they have changed it, anyways spear of the magus is a great starting item because its cheap it gives u some survival with its health not to mention allowing you to bypass their base MR while still uping your power a bit giving you a decent amount of damage. It all depends on who your using and who your up against and who your playing.

bewareofthepig

Notable (1)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by LevasK » December 8, 2012 1:02am | Report
To make it short yes spear is and has been op since it's release the fact that just for 2050 get the ability to do almost true damage against almost all gods since majority of gods have 30 starting MR and gain +1 so at the very most if they don't pick up any MR items at level 20 you will be dealing only with 20 MR and since you can't make resistance go into negatives adding a voidstone will only reduce it to 0 if you are in range still if you use your mages offensive it's well worth it especially on gods like Agni He Bo Ra Hel(sometimes) since you are more then likely be unloading your kill combo at pretty close range

LevasK
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (52)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by HiFromBuddha » December 8, 2012 1:29am | Report
Basically, it's flat penetration. It treats your damage as if the opponent had 30 less magic resist. Only difference from Void Stone is that none of your allies get the same effect.
The top rated He Bo guide on SmiteFire!
My rather unimpressive and slowly growing anime list!
Currently watching:
    Punchline
Currently Reading:
    Utsuro no Hako to Zero Maria
    Nisekoi: False Love
    The World God Only Knows

HiFromBuddha
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (115)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by LevasK » December 8, 2012 2:33am | Report
Also you don't have to be in a certain range to get the effect but budhha is correct

LevasK
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (52)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by SmellyHarry » December 8, 2012 6:30pm | Report
Exactly what I thought!

Thanks guys for confirming my suspicions.

It was just the flat 30 penetration that threw me off since it seems like no other item has such a stat.

SmellyHarry

Memorable (10)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by LevasK » December 9, 2012 4:01am | Report
SmellyHarry wrote:

Exactly what I thought!

Thanks guys for confirming my suspicions.

It was just the flat 30 penetration that threw me off since it seems like no other item has such a stat.

Death's Toll

LevasK
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (52)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Xareth » December 9, 2012 9:29am | Report
Yeah. In short, Spear of the Magus is an awesome item because of its value. You are getting so much bang for your buck that it's an auto-buy as a 3rd or 4th item, as long the spear's stats fit the god you're playing and, if it wasn't rushed.

The +300 health is t because it's a good MP item, is the best part.

Xareth

Notable (4)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Avador » December 10, 2012 4:25am | Report
I use this item everytime i play ap based carrys except for hebo Maybe..
If u mid ra vs ra ur definitely gonna have a headstart if He starts with rank 2 ap boost and u with Spear.. It seems pretty underrated, and i Can definitely recommend rushing this item first if u dont like to Buy 2 abilltys or doom orb at start.

- Avador
Sry for The typos, but I'm ón forum from a phone with Danish auto-spelling

Avador

Notable (1)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by coldhotshot » December 10, 2012 8:01am | Report
I also personally believe that the spear of magus is a great item. However we have to also count what we lose. As we gain the extra health and magical penetration, we lose the chance of moving faster with the boots. With mobility, it might not be necessary to use the spear. I guess its with experience? As you get use to dodging skill shots, mobility will definitely be more helpful in the long run too. Both boots and spear are great items, and I personally think it depends on the play style and the experience a person has. Another considerable minority item that could be a starter is the pendant. Although it is not a great, most really experience players sometimes use it ( I think).
Click on my signature to go to my guide!

Other guides:
Fenrir :D

Click on this text to get a signature similar to this one!

coldhotshot

Memorable (14)
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

SMITEFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new god, or fine tune your favorite SMITE gods’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 SMITEFire | All Rights Reserved

} } } } }