Smitefire logo

Join the leading SMITE community.
Create and share God Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

What are your thoughts on the new League system?

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on SmiteFire.

Forum » News » What are your thoughts on the new League system? 21 posts - page 1 of 3
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Alan LaFleur » May 5, 2014 11:11am | Report

On Friday, Hi-Rez announced the new League system for Conquest and 1v1 Joust. You'll notice that Arena was not listed there because they are removing it from the league system due to a low population of players. The decision to remove League Arena was met with a lot of hostility and pleading on the Smite subreddit. The fact that the outcry was so vocal is hilarious since if that many people were actually playing League Arena, they would not be removing it.

The new League system is laid out much like the ranked system in League of Legends. There are tiers and every player will start in the Bronze tiers and will look to rank up to Silver, Gold, Platinum, Diamond, and Masters. The Masters tier will only be available to the top 2% players in the game.

Each league has 5 divisions. You rise the ranks by earning tribute points. To go to the next division or tier, you have to fill your tribute bar to 100 and then win the next game. Players are matched by their matchmaking rating and will more than likely be matched with other people in their tier and division. In fact, if the matchmaking system finds that you are too good for your division, it will reward you with more tribute points and move you through the ranks faster.

You can watch the Q & A with HiRezChris and HiRezScott here.
. . . . .

What do you think about the new League system for Conquest and 1v1 Joust? Should they keep League Arena? Are you planning on playing Leagues now? What were your experiences with Leagues with the prior system?

Alan LaFleur

Remarkable (6)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Subzero008 » May 5, 2014 12:05pm | Report
I'm just laughing.

Subzero008

Renowned (112)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Odd Arcade » May 5, 2014 12:06pm | Report
I think they should have kept arena, makes me sad that I didnt get to try it out :( AND Im all for this new league system, think it will encourage the eSports scene of the game even more

Odd Arcade
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Prominent (46)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Pivorad » May 5, 2014 12:15pm | Report
I'm fine. I'm bad anyway :-/

Pivorad

Notable (1)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Raventhor » May 5, 2014 12:22pm | Report
Tormented Turnip is gonna have a field day about this...he was like the 2nd highest rated player or something in arena.
-Demolibium

Raventhor
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Eminent (158)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Talenhiem » May 5, 2014 12:56pm | Report
Or used to be anyway. I do remember him being ranked 2nd in the first batch of 6 players in either Diamond or Platinum.

Talenhiem

Prominent (33)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Savster » May 5, 2014 1:16pm | Report
The problem with league Arena having such a low turnout was because all you had to do was play 10 games, win most of them, and you were done for the month. That's not exactly a great formula for encouraging a lot of playtime.

Savster

Permalink | Quote | +Rep by TormentedTurnip » May 5, 2014 1:20pm | Report
Eh, I was one of eight in the first batch that made it into platinum, but that's when a new semester began with this "compressed schedule" where our fifteen-week courses were **** into you in seven weeks, so I didn't really have time to continue. Plus, Arena league really just went downhill after the first season. The games I played in bronze were far more challenging and fun than any in gold or platinum - many of the good players dropped out after the first month, so many of the games turned into 'which team played worse' rather than 'which team had the best coordinated plays.' Now that there are more people in each tier, I'm sure the quality of the games are better, but the time that I played (after the first season, of course) was pretty poor.

That said, I think the new system would be great for both Conquest and Arena league. How I understand it is people move up and down individually in their own time rather than together at set intervals. This means that, over time, good players will still be able to advance to the top even against those that play a ridiculous amount of games. I remember when I played league, there were several people that had several hundred games each month - it kind of killed your motivation to play league when your competition had an overwhelming advantage through sheer time commitment.

TormentedTurnip
<Retired Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Esteemed (96)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Raventhor » May 5, 2014 1:32pm | Report
TT, they're removing Arena League. It doesn't exist anymore.
-Demolibium

Raventhor
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Eminent (158)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by uhawka » May 5, 2014 1:36pm | Report
damn... i was in gold arena, it was my favorite :(
Arachne is ruined, Nuwa is too different (insert rant here) they are dumbing the game down. No utility just damage.

uhawka

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

SMITEFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new god, or fine tune your favorite SMITE gods’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 SMITEFire | All Rights Reserved

} } } } }