Smitefire logo

Join the leading SMITE community.
Create and share God Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

God roles?

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on SmiteFire.

Forum » New Player Help » God roles? 21 posts - page 2 of 3
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Ghraf » December 7, 2013 6:45pm | Report

Hercules, Sun Wukong and Tyr actually works really well as tanks (max cdr on Tyr). They all got good cc and are able to peal for your team. Odin is kind of meh as support/tank :P

I have to endorse Tyr cdr build because spamming 1 and 2 for damage/heals/peeling and flipping stances like pancakes is too stronk. Once you get good enough with your ult and 1 to slow then push people into other god's ults, people will avoid you like a chemical spill. Not to mention the fact that if you build lifesteal and spam your 3 you're basically invincible in 1v1s.

Ghraf

Memorable (13)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Kaishinamon » December 8, 2013 4:31am | Report
I've seen in tournaments on smite game that people instead of using a guardian for the support role, they use Sun Wukong or Guan Yu tank build. Starting items Watchers gift > midas boots > Sovereinty > more defence.

Hercules skill set looks similar to that of Sobeks, except for the alt slow, he has stun on his 1. Odin has so much protection from his 3 making him naturally tanky, but his skill set has less CC than the others.

So can warriors be used as more aggressive supports and guardians are safe standard supports?

Also how do you put the icon/name link of the god you are talking about in your replies? It looks so much cooler. ^_^

Kaishinamon

Permalink | Quote | +Rep by BestMinionEver » December 8, 2013 5:01am | Report
Code:
[[tyr]] [color=#008000][[tyr]][/color]
Tyr Tyr

I would not recommend going Watcher's Gift unless you are playing with a adc that you know, it's better to go Mark of the Vanguard into midas boots to get some tankyness (midas and watcher's makes you stupidely squishy :P ).
IGN: Marki

Jungle & Support main.

Casually tryharding ranked now and again.

Make fun of my bad plays on Twitch ;)
Is only pixels, why you haf to be mad?

BestMinionEver
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (69)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Kaishinamon » December 8, 2013 5:17am | Report
Ah thanks!

test Hel hope that works,

yea i find watchers mixed, while it leaves me squishy i can usually cope, unless they have a great jungler who has a grudge against me. I usually play it safe with mark though as im still low level and the unexpected happens where i end up being mid lane after buying my usual tank stuff because zeus wants to go duo with the adc. XD

Edit yay it works, thanks!

Kaishinamon

Permalink | Quote | +Rep by ICEN » December 8, 2013 10:42am | Report
IMO I never build Hercules tank. It never turns out good. Good meaning I get kills because I'm greedy. Sure you can fling people around but I want to kill things while doing it.

Of course you can build Hercules tank but IMO what is the point of that when mitigate wounds already makes Hercules hard to kill and lets him sustain.

Thats why I choose more damage because with mitigate wounds you are almost more tanky then a tank with more items than you.

Also out of all the Hercules matches I have played, I always do 100x better and get way more kills with damage/bruiser Hercules and find it hard to get kills with tank Hercules.

Hercules does a **** load of damage and has high as scaling with some of his skills, so I take advantage. All you need is like 2 defensive items to become invincible so I see no real reason to go full tank on him.

This is how you should look at hercules
Early Game - laugh at him as all his moves take a **** ton of mana
Mid Game - No more laughing because at this point he can murder you and heal a good bit
Late Game - Consider your game lost and fear him unless you 1v3 him.

ICEN

Prominent (41)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by BestMinionEver » December 8, 2013 11:09am | Report
ICEN wrote:

Also out of all the Hercules matches I have played, I always do 100x better and get way more kills with damage/bruiser Hercules and find it hard to get kills with tank Hercules.

If you build Hercules as a tank your not playing him as you usually play him, it makes him into a completely different character.

When playing him as a support you are there to peal, not dealing damage and getting kills. You use Mitigate Wounds for eating damage, Earthbreaker for setting up kills and Driving Strike to protect your carries.

I'm not saying that this is the best way to play Hercules, I myself think he is best in the jungle atm built damage with Bulwark of Hope and focused voidblade. Ofc he is always a beast in solo lane :P
IGN: Marki

Jungle & Support main.

Casually tryharding ranked now and again.

Make fun of my bad plays on Twitch ;)
Is only pixels, why you haf to be mad?

BestMinionEver
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (69)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Kaishinamon » December 8, 2013 3:27pm | Report
Been playing about, ive had more success with guardians tanking than warriors tanking not really ground breaking there XD I think i'll stick to guardians for tanking.

I did use Athena in the jungle once, even though it was my second ever time jungling i kept up with my team and kept a positive ratio, and i didn't even know the routes i was randomly walking about, more luck than skill me thinks XD

So the general advice is to pick a role and stick to it, in casual games other people want to play tank, do i still pick a tank but use it in a different role to be familiar with the characters, like jungle Athena or damage build Ymir and Ares or do i just pick something else designed for that role, mid mage, solo laner etc?

Kaishinamon

Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Ghraf » December 8, 2013 5:09pm | Report
Kaishinamon wrote:

Been playing about, ive had more success with guardians tanking than warriors tanking not really ground breaking there XD I think i'll stick to guardians for tanking.

I did use Athena in the jungle once, even though it was my second ever time jungling i kept up with my team and kept a positive ratio, and i didn't even know the routes i was randomly walking about, more luck than skill me thinks XD

So the general advice is to pick a role and stick to it, in casual games other people want to play tank, do i still pick a tank but use it in a different role to be familiar with the characters, like jungle Athena or damage build Ymir and Ares or do i just pick something else designed for that role, mid mage, solo laner etc?

Well, first of all, never damage build Ares. Just go all out aura items to make use of his passive and tank build. Ares can be kind of hard to play for a beginner because you pretty much have to land Shackles every time if you want to do any good.

Ymir, on the other hand, can be built damage easily, because his scaling seems to be broken and he kills squishies in ~4 hits.

If someone else wants to tank, it's best if you pick another role that's missing, or if no one has called anything else, go with what you know first. So, if you've jungled with Athena, do jungle Athena. If someone is already jungling and tanking, then go ADC or mage. Or pick a bruiser and go solo lane. If you decide to go mid, I'd suggest starting with Ao Kuang, Agni, or Zeus because they're all very hard pushers and can harass the enemy mid really hard, and easily get kills. You'll have to be careful with Ao Kuang because he's vulnerable to ganks since he's so slow and has pretty much zero CC, but he's about as easymode of a lategame powerhouse as you can pick.

Ghraf

Memorable (13)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by FaTaLiTyFiReFly » December 8, 2013 11:28pm | Report
I play every availabe MOBA that exists.

I can honestly say that there are "guidelines" to follow when playing a god, these guidelines include basic strat, combos, items and roles.

For a new player I suggest that you stick to these guidelines. But... And this is a big but...

The thing I love about MOBA's is the fact that every item , every rune(LoL) , every skill build and the way you play your god/hero/champion determines its role.

If I follow a support style item build and play my hero as a support, it can be a support!
In smite this is only viable with mage gods though ;)

Magical Power , Physical power.
MP and PP basically means that you can turn any god into a carry. Some might just carry better than others but in the end, it still counts as a carry. ( Dota 2 term: Semi-carry )

The fact that items have such a large impact means that I can buy defensive items on a assassin such as Loki and he will in term become a tank.

In the match of the days where you have 5 v 5 all loki matches me and a friend decided we are going to be the tanks for our team. Since without a tank, support and carry the game does not function optimally but instead turns into chaos.
Tank loki worked very nicely took all their ulti's to kill me and then my team came and wiped them. (Using assassins as tanks (defying the role) should only be used in Match of the day setups)

What I am trying to say is... A game is ruled by meta, a spesific "guide" to how everything works.
Breaking the meta might reveal a very powerful god/hero/champion.

example:
Dota 2: Alchemist
This hero was always played as a support since he was decent early game and decent mid game but needed too much farm to stay decent in late game. He had a good disable and could seemingly support his team well.Until one day a guy decided to fool around and play this HARD support as a HARD carry...

He is now only played as carry.

Too the other higher level players reading this. Remember that meta is an idea, a guide not a set of rules. You are allowed to play around with it and test out new things.

But for new players , stick to the meta , stick to one role and master it , Look at some guides with info that will increases your performance.

Read above posts for detailed info about the roles and how the meta causes them to work
why does wukong look so much different now?

FaTaLiTyFiReFly

Prominent (25)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Kaishinamon » December 9, 2013 3:20am | Report
Ok META stands for: Most Effective Tactics Available i had to google that XD I found a page explaining all of it.

Alright so claim tank/support in chat, if i don't get it, use a proper role god for the job till i'm more familiar with what i'm doing to experiment ^_^

Thanks for the feedback everyone, this is more complex than i first realized.

Kaishinamon

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

SMITEFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new god, or fine tune your favorite SMITE gods’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 SMITEFire | All Rights Reserved

} } } } }