Smitefire logo

Join the leading SMITE community.
Create and share God Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

best way to start, modes and roles in conquest

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on SmiteFire.

Forum » New Player Help » best way to start, modes and roles in conquest 13 posts - page 1 of 2
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Calendri » February 4, 2015 8:02pm | Report
Hey guys,
I'm kinda new here so let's start of with some noobie questions.:)
I started out with the practice modes for mainly arena and joust. Next step was coop arena to get to know some gods. But what now.. Can anyone tell anything about the difficulty of play modes? I think arena is the easiest but then..? What should be a next logical step? Conquest assault or maybe joust?
My 2nd q is what is the easiest to learn role in conquest. I just wanne make a good start here and don't screw up the game. So any advice on that is welcome

Calendri

Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Devampi » February 4, 2015 11:54pm | Report
well first of arena is a different game mode. playing arena doesn't mean you can get into other game modes easily because most of them are similar to conquest.

I think Conquest and joust are a bit at the same difficulty normally (but conquest has the role system so it can be a bit more difficult)

Assault and siege are a bit trickier as they have other mechanics but after playing enough joust- assault wouldn't be a big problem (and after some conquest siege won't be a huge problem still a lot to learn though)

for your 2nd Q:
well this depends mostly what sort of character do you normally play. I won't recommend starting with jungle or as support as they are the roles with the most things to learn. IMO adc is the easiest (as long as you can last hit well) but you will need a good support. For some players starting out in solo or mid is a better option. Also make sure you can build characters right (because *****ing over items happens a lot too)

Also I don't know what your account level is but you should start ASAP with going into the normal game mode as the bots play so different compared to normal players. (I recommend my friends to play the tutorials and go into normal when possible, but I think you need to do all co-op modes first so that's what I recommend them and throw them into pvp right away)

Devampi
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (105)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Branmuffin17 » February 5, 2015 12:08am | Report
Hey Calendri,

If you haven't played MOBAs before, or even just Smite, there's a definite learning curve. Keeping it simpler by playing co-op of any mode is a good idea specifically to get a good feel for the game, the controls, and how different gods play.

However, sometimes, you just need to get your feet wet. If you're looking to start experimenting with PvP modes, just know (I think you do already) that Conquest is the most difficult. The other modes contain strategies that can be used in Conquest. You've got the idea down, so I'll hash out the points I think apply:

Arena: Pretty much team deathmatch. You can choose the god you want to play, you can go back to base anytime to heal, buy, etc., and you are never dead for long. Don't have to worry about towers, as it's just one big, circular map. Great for getting a feel for team fights, and the entire match is done quickly. You can definitely experiment with different item builds too, but with the super quick action, can be hard to really tell how effective those builds are.

Joust: 1v1 or 3v3...would suggest 3v3 to start. You can choose the god you want to play, you can go back to base anytime to heal, buy, etc. God choice is perhaps more important here, as you want to choose strategically to give your team a well-rounded blend. Usually consists of a tank (guardian or warrior), a mage (for damage and minion wave clear), and a hunter or other ADC (basic attack) type. Simpler for the limited jungle (no Gold Fury or Fire Giant), but with other aspects of Conquest.

Assault: This is the mode I generally play. Very limited choice on gods...you are automatically given one, and if you and your teammate have each others' gods, you can trade if you both agree. You can also reroll a new god (not of your choice, random again) using favor or gems (which you want to save if you're new and don't have the god pack). Once you leave base, you can't go back to heal or buy until you're dead. One lane with towers/phoenix, but no jungle. Item choices can play a bigger factor here, as, since you can't go back to base, you need to think more carefully about your build (for sustain, protection, etc.). Still simpler in many aspects than Conquest...forces you to play different gods. If you're not otherwise willing to experiment with all of the ones you have unlocked, this is a great way to MAKE you learn about those gods.

Biggest thing here is that you need to learn about each god, their abilities, item choices/builds, in order to give yourself the best fighting chance in whichever mode you play.

Welcome, and good luck!
Branmuffin17
<Administrator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Exalted (395)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Bullfrog323 » February 5, 2015 7:00am | Report
Welcome Calendri,

I would suggest you to try all 5 modes a few times, in PvP mode.
Since you are new, and should have a low level account, you will be teamed with people of the same level as you are.
So, don't worry too much about being bad, you are here to learn, like everyone else.

Your first step should be to know which mode you prefer and which god / role you like to play.
Even if you don't have the god pack, you can still try a bunch of gods of every role.

Next step would be to improve yourself in those game mode / god.
What I mean by this is, don't wait to be level 30 to start playing Conquest if you never did during your "leveling up", like I did.

Branmuffin already covered the concepts of every game modes.
There are plenty of guides in this site about every god, and about every role, though they are more focused on the Conquest mode.

If you need help on any point in the game, here is the best place to ask.

Bullfrog323

Prominent (27)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Calendri » February 5, 2015 7:26am | Report
Thanks for the feedback guys. My lvl is 8 atm. Tried different styles today but could only manage to win in arena :). Sucked at joust although i think it was more the combination of gods like mentioned by Bran. So gonne try that one again soon! Tried assault but since im not that familiar with the gods yet, getting one random can be hard and i felt pretty sorry for my team. (fortunaly not the only one who sucked). Nice job on the assault guides btw! Big +1! So for now i will stick with Arena, joust 3v3 and make a start in conquest.

THe hardest in conquest seems the rotation during the game and the jungle. Just when to know where to be and what camp to harvest and what buffs are for me and which one i leave for another role.. its like going back to school. :)

Found some guides here but they seem a bit outdates (solo lane guide and the jungler guide), since they first months 2014. But there are still use full tips there i think!

Calendri

Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Branmuffin17 » February 5, 2015 10:43am | Report
Thanks, Calendri!

I think that was (and continues to be) my biggest problem. I've played less than 30 conquest games (might be closer to 20), and although I'm familiar with (at least level 1 mastery on 30+ gods, up to level 3 on one or more) most of the gods, Conquest is just intimidating for me. That continues to be my biggest problem, of rotations and timing. So yeah, it's probably a good idea to play some of the other game modes, and then throw in a conquest match or few here and there, increasing it as you familiarize yourself.

Since I grew up on Assault, it was pretty much that way for me...I didn't know the gods well enough, and didn't play the same ones consecutively, and that probably stunted my god education speed. It's interesting that way too, because as I was slowly unlocking gods, I developed some early favorites. As I've gained experience, some of my preferences have changed. Used to hate Thor, Vamana, Ullr...now I really like them. Used to love Bastet and He Bo, now I'm mostly indifferent. Loved Odin, then hated him after his kit change, now I love him again. And I continue to love all of the healers.

Anyway, the best way to learn is to keep playing, and don't burn yourself out from frustration or other people. A lot of people suggest watching a lot of streams too, just to see how others play.
Branmuffin17
<Administrator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Exalted (395)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Bullfrog323 » February 5, 2015 11:15am | Report
I know how intimidating Conquest mode can be.
People are so often competitive that the slightest mistake result in trash talk in chat.
If you would like to continue in Conquest, I'd suggest you to choose your role, then use a god you are already familiar with that fits this role.
Then, you would be able to focus mainly on the Conquest learning, more than the god's kit.

As Devampi already said, ADC, mid and solo might be the best roles to start with, and I agree with this.
But, on another side, support role is rarely picked and it might be the last role available for you.
Should this happen, just let your team know that you are learning support, so that they won't bug you too much for your mistakes.
Plus, they may even suggest you some hints if they are kind.

If you want to learn a god fast, I would recommend Arena for that.
In Arena, you will be facing enemy players way more often than in other modes (Assault is that way too, but it's on a Random pick).
This means you will encounter about every situation you can have in a Conquest game, but in a shorter game. Including :
- Minion wave clearing : which ability is good to kill minions and which isn't. (ADC / Mid / Solo)
- Buff camps : which camp is more benefit to you god, and how easy it is for you to clear them. (Jungler)
- How much damage you can take early / mid / late game, without being in danger. (Support)
- Team fights, which ability to use, which target to aim, manage to survive, etc. (Every role)
- Objective defense
(There is no Fire Giant or Gold Fury, but there is a "moving tower" spawning at every 10 kills that needs to kill ASAP)
- 2v1 and 1v2 fights. Simulate a gank or be ganked in Conquest. How to survive it.

That is the way I did to learn and get Mastery for all 62 gods.
Once you understand a god well, bringing him in a Conquest game is less risky.

If you need more help on Conquest, just ask your questions, about everybody here beside Branmuffin and I are playing this mode, while Bran is playing more Assaults and me, Arenas.

Bullfrog323

Prominent (27)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Calendri » February 6, 2015 1:12am | Report
Thnx again guys. I think i know what my 2nd problem is with conquest. its the game length. Normally i prefer fast pace gaming. Taking about 30 mins or less. Tried dota in WCFT3 and Lol for a very short time cus the games took like for ever. That is just not my think. Conquest also can take like an hour. Not that all Conquest games last that long, but still. I like arena and assault the most although....well i explained the problem with assault earlier :) But that will get better. joust is also great because its also faster then concuest. I just might be that conquest is just not for me. Or at least not yet. So for now im gonna focus on arena and assault and do some joust to get familiar with the roles and make a start with basic jungle.
I will keep an eye on the team composition cus in the few games i played i notice that inexperienced players just choose a god randomly not looking at their team. My mate here also only has 1 goal that is god kill, which can make some modes hard to play (like joust). I prefer to focus on my role and the team, not only my kill streak. ;)

Calendri

Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Devampi » February 6, 2015 6:42am | Report
Assault gets easier when you start to know the gods (and for doing bad there is less thrash talk because they know how it is to have a god you can;t play).

In Joust (and arena) you need a good composition. normally you will see a tank (warrior or guardian) a mage (a mage and some guardians) and a physical damage dealer (adc or assassin)
But yeah some people just insta lock something which can screw a lot of things up. so I would recommend make sure you have at least 1 magical or 1 physical damage dealer (adc assassin mage)

for conquest yeah games take long. also I would recommend siege as it's a fun game mode (and takes less time) it's 4v4 and for every 100 tickets you get a siege creep

Devampi
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (105)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Bullfrog323 » February 6, 2015 8:48am | Report
Honesly, I would not recommend Siege for new players.

Even if this mode can be fun to play, if you don't understand the mechanics while the other team do, you are only being raped on both sides of the map.
And again, in this mode, a good team comp is required.
Hunters and assassins are useful to kill juggernauts and siege, but you still need to balance between magical and physical.

As for Joust 3v3, if you are playing with your friend, this meen you will be teamed with a solo queue player.
You might get lucky and that player will fill the role you are missing, but this most likely won't happen.
So, either
- 1 of you is on the "fill" role, while the other insta pick a god
(notice here : not insta lock, just insta pick)
This give time to the solo queue player to decide which god he wants to play
- you find a 3rd friend to play with, and it's more fun, since there is not trash talk at all.

If you play more Arena and want some tips, invite me if you see me online.
IGN is the same.

Bullfrog323

Prominent (27)

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

SMITEFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new god, or fine tune your favorite SMITE gods’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 SMITEFire | All Rights Reserved

} } } } }