Smitefire logo

Join the leading SMITE community.
Create and share God Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Looking to learn! (PC)

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on SmiteFire.

Forum » Mentoring » Looking to learn! (PC) 5 posts - page 1 of 1
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by wuxxin » June 7, 2016 12:13am | Report
hello i have about a week into smite and i enjoy it overall quite a lot.
i don't have the ultimate god pack but soon will be getting it but i own 15 gods atm
and will be adding more as i get favor until i buy the god pack.

feel free to leave a post or add me in game.
i am some what understanding the basics of how to play
but i am lost on what gods are good to pick, what items to build and just how to
play against most gods. i also have very limited knowledge on what gods do and itsk inda hard/frustrating to figure out why i died while having no idea happened.

wuxxin

Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Branmuffin17 » June 7, 2016 10:12am | Report
Hi Wuxxin!

Let us know what times you normally play. Also, with only a week in SMITE, there's a TON still to learn, so which modes have you been tackling?

Also, you may want to read through this guide by Aramey: Beginner's Universal Guide to SMITE. It contains tons of great general information, and provides a lot of links to other helpful resources.

With regard to "which gods are good to pick," it partially depends on who you have unlocked at this point. Of the 5 free gods, any one of them are okay picks if you're just learning, and especially when you're new and playing against other new players. In particular, though, Neith (hunter), Thor (assassin), and Ymir (guardian) are solid picks in practically any game mode.

Other than those, you really want to experiment with different gods. Jungle practice, I believe, allows you to pick any god, even ones you don't own. So you might go in there just to get a feel for different gods' kits/abilities. Even if the god is considered elite, it doesn't necessarily mean you're going to enjoy playing them.

If you want to consult tier lists, just to see how people are ranking gods, check this section in my Conquest guide.

As for which items to build, at your point, I'd probably still default to the automatic builder. It's not optimal by any means, but until you get the feel for the gods, general gameplay, etc., it'll make things easier for you. Building is pretty complex, with many things to consider (price for effect, build sequence, counter-building), not to mention the fact that there are quite a lot of items to choose from. When you get the general hang of things, you might start by turning off automatic leveling (so you have to level up your individual skills in the order you choose). Get the feel for that, and then start moving on to handling your own item purchasing.

Another good resource is also to start reading guides (make sure they're current). Many of the guides on this website go in-depth on explaining why specific items are chosen, and these explanations can help you better understand the items themselves. Here is a link to the god guides section, sorted by "top rated" and "fresh" (meaning it's been updated relatively recently): https://www.smitefire.com/smite/guides?sort_type=score_decayed&sort_order=desc&god_id=&freshness=Fresh&type=guide&min_vote_count=0&min_quality=

Hope this information helps!
Branmuffin17
<Administrator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Exalted (395)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by wuxxin » June 7, 2016 3:09pm | Report
hey!

i play pretty much all the modes but assault, that one is frustrating as i am clueless to what gods do and what to build i just hinder my team with poor builds or silly mistakes and dying.

i own thanatos, xing tian, janus, odin, hade, guan yu the basic gods such as ra thor neith atremis and ymir.

i am on generally in the evening usually around 5-6 and play until late at night.

my curse name is Drsuoh as well

i will also look at your guide and bookmark it for future use as well.

wuxxin

Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Branmuffin17 » June 7, 2016 4:01pm | Report
Hi wuxxin,

Look, I get you. That was me...I played pretty much only Assault as I was learning the game. Wasn't able to focus on any one god for long enough to get comfortable with them (or the general mechanics of the game) for quite a while. Only now that I'm branching out in other modes am I starting to get a better handle.

You may still consider using the auto-buy function until you're comfortable with building things yourself...that comes with familiarity of the items. You can also try my Assault guide if you do try that mode. I give build templates and options to help.

One thing that's cool about Assault, since it makes you play different gods, is that it forces you to play ones you might not otherwise choose (e.g. the rotating free gods)...every once in a while, you might have an epiphany with one of them, where all of a sudden things click for you. That's how I unlocked gods...played them here or there as I was building up favor, and when I had enough favor, I'd choose one that I'd played and seemed fun.

The God Pack obviously opens everything up to you, but if you have preferences on gameplay style, etc., we might be able to suggest the next gods for you to unlock/try.
Branmuffin17
<Administrator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Exalted (395)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Sodsboy » June 9, 2016 6:36am | Report
Bran has a good point on these. But as always, practice is the best teacher. If you need someone to help you along with specifics then please let one of the mentors (Me included) know in the official thread so that we may be able to offer advice/support.
IGN: Soddyboy
Curse: Sodsboy
Steam: Sodsboy

Sodsboy

Memorable (10)
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

SMITEFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new god, or fine tune your favorite SMITE gods’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 SMITEFire | All Rights Reserved

} } } } }