Smitefire logo

Join the leading SMITE community.
Create and share God Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Why Do So Many Guides Lack Gameplay?

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on SmiteFire.

Forum » General Discussion » Why Do So Many Guides Lack Gameplay? 15 posts - page 1 of 2
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Subzero008 » January 5, 2014 1:24am | Report
In all the guides I have reviewed so far, I can say with absolute confidence that the one section that is consistently missing is the gameplay section. Why do so many lack it?

I have a theory: It's easy to list the pros and cons, to give reasons for items and listing ways to use skills, but it is far more difficult to teach. Translating your own actions and thoughts to words isn't easy, and it's even harder when the audience may not even be familiar with the god in question. That's just my own crackpot theory.

Subzero008

Renowned (112)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by HiFromBuddha » January 5, 2014 2:31am | Report
Subzero008 wrote:

In all the guides I have reviewed so far, I can say with absolute confidence that the one section that is consistently missing is the gameplay section. Why do so many lack it?

I have a theory: It's easy to list the pros and cons, to give reasons for items and listing ways to use skills, but it is far more difficult to teach. Translating your own actions and thoughts to words isn't easy, and it's even harder when the audience may not even be familiar with the god in question. That's just my own crackpot theory.

In my honest opinion, I think gameplay is just implied sometimes. Every god in each role plays very similarly, so if every guide for Artemis, Neith and Cupid all say "Stay at the back and attack the targets you can reach, stay out of harms way in a teamfight", then it's be rather monotonous, to the point where I would be complaining about how every guide says the exact same thing (Although, admittedly, I rarely check out the guides section of SmiteFire, so I probably wouldn't even realise this 'issue' in the first place).

Also, may I ask, why are you implying that 'listing ways to use skills' isn't gameplay?

I mean, after all, in my opinion, the ways to use skills, or the ways to play with the lack of certain skills and mechanics, is the only thing that would differentiate gameplay between multiple characters of the same role.
The top rated He Bo guide on SmiteFire!
My rather unimpressive and slowly growing anime list!
Currently watching:
    Punchline
Currently Reading:
    Utsuro no Hako to Zero Maria
    Nisekoi: False Love
    The World God Only Knows

HiFromBuddha
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (115)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Subzero008 » January 5, 2014 2:53am | Report
Er, I could have worded that a bit better.

Most guides put down a skill, then put "Use Wing Gust as an escape or to deal damage. It's not burst damage, blah blah blah." They list what it can be used for, and I'm fine with that.

The main problem is the lack of, er, let's say there's a mid guide for Isis. The guide would show what each skill can do and how, but it doesn't help for stuff like contesting mid camps, laning aggressively vs passively, role in teamfights. Stuff like that.

So even if the Isis guide showed you what each skill could do and how, it wouldn't help you know when and where to use them, which is arguably more important.

Subzero008

Renowned (112)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by SoapSuds » January 5, 2014 2:53am | Report
Honestly, if I'm looking at a guide, I never read any "gameplay" sections anyway. I look at a guide to see what items they recommend using on such a god and maybe once in a while why to use them, and then formulate my own build for that god depending on what I think suits me more.

Besides, I feel like what you listed ("the pros and cons, to give reasons for items and listing ways to use skills") is fine enough for a guide. Some guides add more, and that's cool, but I don't think you really need to hold the hand of a person too much more. Sometimes the best way for people to learn how to use a god is for them to field test him/her/it.
Comic Series Currently Reading:
  • Wonder Woman Vol 2
  • Green Lantern Vol 2
  • Infinity Gauntlet

SoapSuds

Prominent (43)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Nogglez » January 5, 2014 5:00am | Report
Guides arent going to teach you the god after reading them. You might pick up one or two tricks by reading a gameplay section, but at the end of the day, a guide is intended to help guide you in the right direction with a specific god/role.
Rep me up if I helped!

Nogglez

Established (19)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Jordenito » January 5, 2014 5:59am | Report
Guides can teach you what.
They cannot teach you how.
The how you will learn by yourself from experience.
Also applies to real life.

My Guides

If you want me to review your guide, or need help and tips, make sure to P.M me. I'll be happy to do so.

Jordenito
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (66)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by dacoqrs » January 5, 2014 6:37am | Report
I don't mind when guides don't have a specific gameplay section, mostly because its a guide, not a gameplay bible.
Thanks to Ferrum for making the sig pic! He's beast af people.
IGN: BestJanusNA
What I'm listening to right now: Derp -Bassjackers

dacoqrs

Prominent (40)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Sunfall » January 5, 2014 6:40am | Report
Still, there should be chapters that explain what you should be doing.

Like let's say I want to know how to play Odin as a solo. I would want to know the general strategy and approaches that should be taken when laning, and what to do in such-and-such situations. Just listing a skill/item build and rather bare explanations of skills and purpose won't help at all.
Waiting on a good new MOBA, please.

Sunfall
<Veteran>

Prominent (29)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Raventhor » January 5, 2014 11:31am | Report
Personally, even though I know my rather outdated guides are guilty of it, I hate guides that lack a gameplay section. You can tell someone all day every day exactly what to build, what to skill up, and how to use abilities. But if they don't understand how to USE the god, they're going to sit there and freeze during an engagement. You can tell when people simply don't know exactly what a god does - they either spam all their skills badly or don't cast any at all.

I really want to see more gameplay sections, at least for a teamfight section and a levels ~ 1-5 section.
-Demolibium

Raventhor
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Eminent (158)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Subzero008 » January 5, 2014 11:39am | Report
^ Exactly.

Edit: Ooops, meant Sunfall's.

EditEdit: Actually, it could Apply to Raventhor's comment too.

^

^^

Subzero008

Renowned (112)
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

SMITEFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new god, or fine tune your favorite SMITE gods’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 SMITEFire | All Rights Reserved

} } } } }