Smitefire logo

Join the leading SMITE community.
Create and share God Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Why Do So Many Guides Lack Gameplay?

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on SmiteFire.

Forum » General Discussion » Why Do So Many Guides Lack Gameplay? 15 posts - page 2 of 2
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Raventhor » January 5, 2014 12:43pm | Report
Sub that comment was just a train wreck. xD

<3
-Demolibium

Raventhor
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Eminent (158)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Ghraf » January 5, 2014 4:37pm | Report
Frankly, I think the main thing for a lot of people is that the amount of effort/time you have to put into it to simply word it all out and BBcode, add pictures, do lane combos, etc, is just too much.

I started a gameplay section on my guide, but due to real-life constraints and loss of interest in the game I ended up not finishing it. Who knows, I may go back and do it later.

Maybe I'll make a video instead, because I'd probably spend far less time just recording a match, narrating on the gameplay and what I'm doing, and then editing/uploading, than I would to type everything. I know that I can get waaay too wordy for most people's tastes, since I typically go for a "comprehensive" approach, rather than just "do this and this and this".

And that brings up the question.. are video gameplay guides a better alternative than writing?

Videos would allow you to include far more information, plus examples, both visually and worded, while not forcing the "reader" to go through paragraphs and paragraphs of situations and explanations.

Ghraf

Memorable (13)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Subzero008 » January 5, 2014 5:30pm | Report
Writing is more accessible, not only because you can just skip to a section you need, but you don't have watch a video to get all the info, not to mention a single gameplay video cannot possibly show every single possibility.

But on the other hand, videos are convenient and can show things in a way words can't. Both have their pros and cons.

Subzero008

Renowned (112)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Ghraf » January 5, 2014 7:22pm | Report
Subzero008 wrote:

Writing is more accessible, not only because you can just skip to a section you need, but you don't have watch a video to get all the info, not to mention a single gameplay video cannot possibly show every single possibility.

But on the other hand, videos are convenient and can show things in a way words can't. Both have their pros and cons.

The main thing with trying to create a gameplay section in a guide, though, is that it can be difficult to explain just how to do certain things. Like, exactly how to manage the flow of your lane and poke, or when you should attempt to go for a kill, initiate teamfights, whatever. Some things just can't really be put on paper, and videos would allow you to demonstrate specific parts of gameplay easily.

For gameplay purposes, I think videos would be a bit better than writing. It doesn't necessarily have to be one single video, it could be a longer one split into multiple parts or many small ones recorded with specific situations. Of course, each video would be embedded in the relevant part of the guide also. From using Vegas Pro a lot and making my own videos, I can tell you that it would be quite simple, as well.

Ghraf

Memorable (13)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by ICEN » January 6, 2014 10:18am | Report
Because if you legit want to put "ALL" things in a guide then you will legit put "ALL" things you can ever think of in a guide.

In that case if you are asking someone to put "All" things, "ALL" tips, "ALL strats" that will be close to impossible due to how insanely long that guide would be, it would be so long that me myself would not even want to read 40 pages long or even 3 pages for that matter.

I doubt even the most "Want tips" type of person would want to read though a 40,000 worded guide giving them everything that can possibly be said about a certain god.

What I am saying is that 100% of all guides do not include "Everything" because no matter what you think you put into your guide there will always be something you didn't put and if you literally put everything possible then your guide better be 20 pages long at the very least other wise you most likely did not even come close to achieving that.

What I am saying is

Then why the hell do people look at guides like they expect everything to be mentioned when it is so damn impossible to do without taking LITERALLY 400 hours just to think of "Everything and ALL possible"

Me as a person who likes to read things on things I like, even myself would not want to read something that has "Everything" because if it indeed had "Everything" then I would just kill myself trying to read all of that.

Of course I know this thread is mainly talking about gameplay but the whole point of me saying all this is because no matter what you put its almost no point because your still going to be missing something that someone will point out. You can find any guide in the world and someone will point something out that you never said.

That is why its a guide, and not a map. A map can guide but a guide can't map just remember that.

A map has "everything" and can "guide" but the "guide" itself is just a portion of the map which has "everything". There for since we make guides there is no point of putting "everything when the point of the guide is to take a portion of everything and guide you."

Also like the other person said, the overall guide can be made in a few hours but if you want to include gameplay that can LITERALLY take 2x or more the amount of time to think then put down all of what is possible to put in your gameplay.

You have to accept that no matter how much you put in a guide someone will always say you didn't do a certain thing. So why write a 400000 page guide when you can make a 1 page guide that 90% of all players will or at least should understand + comprehend what to do based on what you said.

ICEN

Prominent (41)

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

SMITEFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new god, or fine tune your favorite SMITE gods’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 SMITEFire | All Rights Reserved

} } } } }