Smitefire logo

Join the leading SMITE community.
Create and share God Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

What Makes You Upvote/Downvote a Guide?

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on SmiteFire.

Forum » General Discussion » What Makes You Upvote/Downvote a Guide? 20 posts - page 2 of 2

Poll Question:

Lack of Gameplay = Instant Downvote
Fair
Unfair
Meh
VOTE
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by TormentedTurnip » January 28, 2014 9:59am | Report
I do wish there was a better voting system rather than simply upvote/downvote. X/10 would be wonderful.

TormentedTurnip
<Retired Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Esteemed (96)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Subzero008 » January 28, 2014 10:11am | Report
lol, there's 3 for each category.

Subzero008

Renowned (112)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Subzero008 » January 28, 2014 10:17am | Report
@BMO: That isn't gameplay, that's a description of skills. They sound similar, but aren't the same.

I made the same mistake with my old versions of the insane jungling guides. That's also part of the reason why I decided to make full guides.

A tutorial on how to cast a line isn't enough to teach you how to fish, nor does it tell you about the real-world experience of deep-sea fishing, or the dangers of being impaled by marlins.

Or in other words: What does this segment tell me about how to play Athena in-lane? Or in teamfights? I can condense the entire segment into a few short phrases:

"Athena's ultimate deals lots of damage while protecting the target. It can be used for ganks, to save a teammate, but requires serious coordination that may not be possible in solo queue. It also has the risk of wasting it if the target dies."

You gave me three sentences of content and expect me to call it gameplay?

Subzero008

Renowned (112)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Sasquatch180 » January 28, 2014 10:19am | Report
For me there is a variety of reasons.

If you label your guide as a full guide but only have the build and ability upgrade order then I'll downvote you.

If you label your guide as a full guide but shown to have put no effort into it (by effort I mean Laning/Jungling explanations, why you chose the items you did, the Pros and Cons, etc...) then downvote.

One thing I will not downvote for is bad grammar, though I make sure to point it out in the comments section if I decide to comment.

Sasquatch180

Memorable (12)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Chiulin » January 28, 2014 11:11am | Report
I downvote if I feel that reading the guide didn't help me with that god whatsoever, or so little that it makes my eyes water. So pretty much lack of gameplay.

Chiulin

Prominent (31)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Setolino » January 28, 2014 11:27am | Report
Sorry, iam still new here what you guys understand under Gameplay ?

For me it means in which way players interact with the game. In that case Smite, dosnt that mean the whole guide is actually a gameplay explanation ?

What you guys mention here are tips and tricks, or did i just understand everything wrong again ?
"Wololol" -Age of Empires

Setolino
<Godlike>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (18)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Romanians » January 28, 2014 1:11pm | Report
If the guide lacks gameplay, but it's clear that the creator worked a lot in the other section I won't downvote but won't upvote either.

I only downvote guides that aren't helpful at all, have serious walls of texts or just reflect laziness by having copied texts from Smite database.

Romanians

Established (17)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Chiulin » January 28, 2014 2:15pm | Report
Setolino wrote:

Sorry, iam still new here what you guys understand under Gameplay ?

For me it means in which way players interact with the game. In that case Smite, dosnt that mean the whole guide is actually a gameplay explanation ?

What you guys mention here are tips and tricks, or did i just understand everything wrong again ?

Saying gameplay is more meant in the actualy moving around and stuff. The laning phase, roaming, etc... Not so much items and skills.

Chiulin

Prominent (31)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Ghraf » January 28, 2014 4:48pm | Report
I feel like "gameplay" in guides, going by the apparently fluid definition here, should be split into more role-specific "general" guides than having one for each and every god, tbh. Since, telling someone an item build for a god, when and how to use skills, plus general tips on how to position yourself/win fights should be "gameplay" enough.

If you tell someone playing ADC to build like an ADC, then you can assume they're going to do duo lane and play like a carry would and not need specific instruction on exactly what to do, which is generally how things should be. Unless you have a very, very flexible god that you're making a guide for, that can fit multiple roles and builds, you honestly shouldn't need much of a gameplay section since it should be self-explanatory.

It just wouldn't make sense if every single god guide had to explain the role to be "any good". Role should be something you know before you pick the god.

I.E.: If I'm making a guide for an ADC, I shouldn't have to type out: go to duo lane, be careful, don't die, push your lane and try to keep the enemy in their tower, watch your minimap for ganks, use X skill to clear lane/poke, use X skill to escape if things go wrong, farm for exp/gold because you're a carry. Let your peel or initiator set up ganks and teamfights, don't go in by yourself, try to use LOS against the enemy and don't let them see you until the fight has initiated, etc...

Which is all just basic information that someone playing an ADC should know and isn't specific to any one god, yet would be popping up on every single guide since that constitutes a "gameplay" section.

Ghraf

Memorable (13)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Raventhor » January 28, 2014 5:51pm | Report
Downvote? No.

Possibly lack of upvote, but I'm not going to downvote an amazing guide if they don't give a perfectly laid out gameplay. If you defend your items and skills and what do to with them, fine, but you don't *need* a gameplay section. It may prevent an upvote but the dude put work into it, it's not a downvote for something as one dimensional as that.
-Demolibium

Raventhor
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Eminent (158)
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

SMITEFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new god, or fine tune your favorite SMITE gods’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 SMITEFire | All Rights Reserved

} } } } }