Smitefire logo

Join the leading SMITE community.
Create and share God Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Steve - New Name?

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on SmiteFire.

Forum » General Discussion » Steve - New Name? 7 posts - page 1 of 1
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Steve Abate » April 22, 2016 1:31pm | Report
I hate people who complaining, so Im going to hate myself for a bit.

My SMITE account was a gift from a friend, named Jacob. It was only level two, but he had bought the God pack, and a ***-load of skins (he was one of those people who got really hype for a game, bought it, bought a bunch of stuff for it, then ceased to play it). Where I have my problem, is the 400 gems it costs to change your name. Its currently AlphafraudTV, which i don't have a problem with, but i want to change it to something more personal. My question is, why do you have to pay? I've seen tons of computer games where you can change your name on the fly. Hell, steam names seem to change everyday for some of my friends. But Xbox, PlayStation, SMITE... all have these pay walls.

I'm going to pay it anyways, and i guess it doesn't matter too much, but i still don't get why. If there's a logical reason, then im all for it. But i don't see Hi-Rez making too much money over name changing.

Steve Abate

Notable (1)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Daelinn » April 22, 2016 2:01pm | Report
There are some possibilities for earning such amount of gems without paying, but they are not always 100% reliable.

First of all, I assume that if this account is only lvl 2, the one-time introduction quests weren't done there yet- they start with completing a Co-op match, through playing an Arena, Joust and finally for getting enough worshippers on a god to earn rank I, 100 gems are earned as a reward.

Secondly, you could wait for a gem event which involves usually getting a few First Wins of the Day, but they aren't as generous as before nowadays, and usually yield about 120-150 gems. We don't know where will one occur though (but something about every 1-2 months seems to be reasonable guess).

Third option, one I'd recommend the most would be asking an aquintance for help by sending him a referal link. If he creates an account through it, after playing 20 hours (time in lobby does not count) both of you get 400 gems.

And of course, as a last resort... You gain 50 gems weekly by logging in, but that would require lots of patience :(

All things considered, you have to judge whether is it worth the effort and your time. But other than that, no, you unfortunately can't change your name by means other than through gems.

Daelinn

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Prominent (25)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Branmuffin17 » April 22, 2016 2:16pm | Report
I wonder if tons of name changes would cause issues with whatever information is stored. I'd guess that there's a payment so that people don't abuse the system by changing daily. Not that it's a lot of info to store a few characters, but that info would have to be stored regardless...and I don't know if there's a limit or if it prevents others from using names that have been previously used. If so, names would start running out very quickly.

There are other sites that access the database to display information...Smite Guru, etc.
Branmuffin17
<Administrator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Exalted (395)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by ThePerfectPrism » April 22, 2016 2:21pm | Report
mostly because it gives a problem with reports, I believe.

When you change ur name, you mess around with the report system, so if Hi-Rez was gonna take action againts you, they can't anymore cuz you changed ur name, they don't know it anymore.

Ofc it could be solved ezly, but they're lazy
Signature by Stuke99, check out his Website Portfolio and his SmiteFire Profile!

ThePerfectPrism
<Mage Master>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (56)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Devampi » April 22, 2016 3:12pm | Report
I think it has to do with their database. LoL also lets you pay (however they also use their other currency to change your name).

Dota doesnt really have the problem as it isn't about you name but your steam ID (which is unchangeable)

Devampi
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (105)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by DucksRock » April 22, 2016 3:22pm | Report
I think it's because once you are behaving toxicly to other players they will remember you, and if you do that to a lot of people you might end up matched with them.

unless you blocked everyone who was in that match, which will just make it hard for you to find matchmaking, many players may want to change their name to shrug off that, and i think that they just want it to bite you in the ***.

and if you are being kind to other players, they will remember your kindness, so it's good if they get matched with you, and might add you as a freind, plus they will remember you as a kind guy, and that chain goes on.

although it's probably because hirez needs to pay their bills and chests arent enough for them.
Hi!

I'm DucksRock, But you can call me Ducks.

Kuzenbo rights advocate, guide-making delayer and passionate pop music fan.

Kuzenbo guide coming soon.

DucksRock

Prominent (41)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by RazeMage » April 22, 2016 8:33pm | Report
I think it's to prevent account selling as well

RazeMage
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (58)
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

SMITEFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new god, or fine tune your favorite SMITE gods’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 SMITEFire | All Rights Reserved

} } } } }