Smitefire logo

Join the leading SMITE community.
Create and share God Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Little Red Riding Hood (drabble)

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on SmiteFire.

Forum » General Discussion » Little Red Riding Hood (drabble) 15 posts - page 2 of 2

Poll Question:

Rate.
1: Awful.
2: Meh.
3: Decent.
4: Pretty good.
5: Awesome.
VOTE
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Subzero008 » October 1, 2015 6:53pm | Report
Stuke99 wrote:

I take this seriously as I have seen to many bad stories that plague the CP Community and sadly people like those kind or stories. Examples being like the aforementioned Jeff the Killer, to clarify Jeff is worst than this story, but you get my point.
It doesn't matter what "Drabble" is, this is still bad story telling no matter what style it is. Because, like I mentioned, this is only a fraction of a story. I want to know what happens that lead up to this moment and see how everything connects to the climax of the story. There needs to be a Beginning, Middle, and an End. This just skipped to the End and just makes the reader confused.
About Little Reds Name. Carol, like you said "Carol is the girl's name, who didn't have a name. I looked up a list of 17th century European names and Carol stood out to me." I wouldn't have known that because there was no indication or context to it being her name. Also if you're a little girl, and a wolf was going to attack you, the idea of fighting back would never pop into your head once because Little Red is a child and would run away then try to fight back. If she would fight back, how would she be able to grab the axe, because axes are quite heavy, and be able to get a lethal blow without any prior practice, before the Wolf would get close enough to kill her.
I'm done with this, it definitely need touching up and better explaining but I still stand by my point as this is just incomplete even for a "Drabble" story.

You seem to be someone who has a very specific definition for a good story and refuses to acknowledge anything else even having the slightest shred of merit if it doesn't follow your rules.

No one needs a page of footnotes for everything they read. Do you question why Harry's last name is Potter? Why wizards speak semi-latin? Do you question every single little detail and nitpick in everything you read?

Newsflash: You don't need to know the backstory of every little set piece to understand a story - and the only one who is complaining about the lack of explanation is you, with your inane statements.

Oh, and if you're wondering why people aren't bothered about the lack of a middle or beginning, it's because everyone knows the story of Little Red Riding Hood. Most people can infer things. Most people don't need things spoonfed to them by the author's pen.

If every single story in the world cohered to a strict set of rules, and didn't break them, Dawngate would never have existed and every MOBA would be like Smite. "Oh, you can't have ADCs jungle." "Oh, you can't have a trilane." "Oh, you can't have a melee ADC bot, that would break the game." Rules can be broken or ignored, as long as you do it right.

(If you think that story had a lot of gore, you must live a very sheltered life.)

Subzero008

Renowned (112)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Subzero008 » October 1, 2015 6:55pm | Report
Arguing about writing rules always ends up like this:

LEGIFERA: I contend that writing would be much improved if you followed certain rules, and I’ve taken the liberty of drawing up a list. Firstly, you should not tell but only—
LIBERTUS: Hold, friend Legifera, before we listen to your rules, we need to address the issue of whether rules even apply to writers. Surely, a writer is best defined by their creativity?
LEGIFERA: I can grant that.
LIBERTUS: Then how can an endeavor marked most by its creativity be circumscribed by rules? Wouldn’t following these rules fetter creativity? And wouldn’t the tales of all conscientious rule-followers be identical?
LEGIFERA: Ah, but I can easily overcome that issue. These rules, you see, can be broken. None are iron-clad, so you see there’s room for creativity.
LIBERTUS: So they are breakable rules?
LEGIFERA: Yes.
LIBERTUS: When may they be broken?
LEGIFERA: Well, you can break them if you know what you are doing?
LIBERTUS: I see. So these are not writers’ rules, but rather rules for bad writers?
LEGIFERA: No!
LIBERTUS: Well, how else would you describe a writer who doesn’t know what they are doing?
LEGIFERA: Anyone can break these rules, but the trick is to know under which circumstances and how to do so.
LIBERTUS: So it is clear when the rules can be broken, and how to do so, it’s only a matter of knowing how?
LEGIFERA: Yes.
LIBERTUS: Doesn’t this imply a set of meta-rules that define when the rules hold and when they don’t and prescribe the correct courses of action when one does break them?
LEGIFERA: I don’t see how it does.
LIBERTUS: Well, how else do the writers who know what they are doing know this thing that they are doing? Do you mean to say that some just are writers and some just aren’t?
LEGIFERA: No, writing can be learned, which is rather the point of having rules.
LIBERTUS: And this which is learned, what can it be but a certain set of rules and actions both prescribed and proscribed?
LEGIFERA: I concede the point.
LIBERTUS: In which case your rules are useless without the meta-rules which we discussed.
LEGIFERA: Well, could I then write out meta-rules as well? For instance when you are writing a pastiche of a Victorian novel then telling is a good idea and—
LIBERTUS: The difficulty there, I fear, is that the existence of these meta-rules brings us to the start of this discussion. Are the meta-rules ironclad?
LEGIFERA: No, they can be broken… Ah, I see.
LIBERTUS: And so we are caught in an infinite regress with no clear termination in sight.
LEGIFERA: Well! We certainly seem to have reached a socratically appropriate state of aporia.
LIBERTUS: Indeed. Good thing too, because I can’t stand being written by this idiot.
LEGIFERA: Yes. Most annoying.
LEGIFERA and LIBERTUS both glare at the WRITER until he leaves.

That’s roughly the argument or rather an idealized version that has all the shouting and hand-waving boiled out of it. Generally things break down before the aporia, but I suspect this is how the argument would go. The question of rules in writing is a tricky one, and I suggest that it is a question of word-choice.

So which choice should we adopt if not ‘rules’ for writing? Or suggestions, heuristics, best practices &c &c &c?

Well, let me paint you an allegorical picture:

Imagine us all as explorers in this vast trackless landscape of such inherent danger and mindless malice that it can only be described as ‘Australian.’ This landscape is full of deadly drop-bears, free-floating box jellyfish, lethal ninja-sheep, deadfalls, inclement weather, and substandard Wi-Fi reception. We all derive sometimes material gain, but mostly a mad sort of pleasure from traversing this place, trying to learn its secrets and completing journeys across it in as little time as possible. And since we are fond of each other we seek to help. Sometimes it’s sharing tales of our exploits around a cheery venom-fire, but mostly (since the place is vast, and we rarely meet) it’s in leaving signposts.

Whenever we stumble, bleeding heavily, from a thicket infested with drop-bears, or limp out of a gulch protected by a dojo of ninja-sheep, we stop for a second, and scribble a description of the hazard on some handy bit of rock: “DROP-BEARS AHEAD” or “WARE THE NINJA-SHEEP.” Now, we don’t demand that people follow our signposts. Indeed, we privately suspect that an experienced explorer might carve the way through with a machete and a suitable supply of dynamite, but it’s still dangerous and we think they’d appreciate the heads-up.

And when we find a sign left by someone else warning us of HEATSEEKING CROCODILES AHEAD, we make a calculation. Can we fight them off? Do we have enough heat signature-obscuring mud to daube ourselves? Can we get to the choppa without incident? Either way, the information is precious to us.
To have someone react to every signpost with a defiant “Well what do I care that there are INTERCONTINENTAL BALLISTIC SHARKS in that gulch? I’m no slave of any random signpost writer! I’ll power ahead! That’ll show them! That’ll show them all!” would just be silly and lead to a drastically increased insurance premium. On the other hand, if nobody ever cuts across cross-country and ignores the odd sign warning of CANNIBAL GOURD SWARMS, we’d all take ages to get anywhere and we’d get very little exploring done.

So, yeah. They aren’t writing rules. They are writing signposts.

Of course, it’s easier to call them rules just as it is easier to say “Show don’t tell” (which is nonsense) rather than, say, “Consider that when you tell your reader what to think of a character, the reader may object,” or, “WARNING READER REVOLT HAZARD TURN BACK.” And that’s not necessarily wrong since we often don’t even know what precisely will go wrong when we do something. All we know is that people wander into the, say, Second Person Forest, and very few make it back out. We don’t know precisely what the problem is so we just shrug and write “Don’t Go Into The Forest” on easily visible signs.

Still, even if it is easier and more natural to think of them as rules and formulate them as rules, these still aren’t rules, and thinking about them like that while having the argument between Legifera and Libertus will just lead to a lot of unnecessary shouting.

(Not from me.)

Subzero008

Renowned (112)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by GameGeekFan » October 1, 2015 7:04pm | Report
Subzero008 wrote:

(If you think that story had a lot of gore, you must live a very sheltered life.)

Mortal Kombat, Left 4 Dead 1 and 2, GTA (debatable), any zombie game ever (Im talking to you The Last of Us), Until Dawn like have you seen the death scenes cause holy ****, Amnesia, Gmod (its not even gory just ****ing funny unless you count the "gory mod" cause holy ****), and many others I dont wanna name.

Also some fps games (Black Ops 3 coming soon!!!)

GameGeekFan
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (50)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Zilby » October 1, 2015 8:52pm | Report
@Sub, did you make that Legifera & Libertus bit up or was that created by someone else? Because that pretty much covers my opinion on writing rules. This is part of why I'm not a fan of writing literature, the writing community is really divided on this subject (teachers included) and it doesn't lend itself to actually making good writing.

Fact is, whether a piece of writing is good is relatively subjective. Once a piece of writing has gone beyond a certain level (like that written by a 7 year old and grammar rules) it becomes much harder to tell what is and what isn't good writing.

Anyway, I enjoyed reading Sub's piece. It was made as a form of short entertainment essentially, so I'd say it accomplished its goal, at least for me. 'nuff said.
Smite Account: Zilby__________Steam Account: Zilby
Blizzard: Zilby#11991_________Twitch: TheZilb

I am the most foul, cruel and bad tempered rodent you've ever set eyes upon!.. Oh, her? Yes, well... she's with me.

Feel free to PM me with any questions or comments. I can offer feedback on gameplay and BBcoding tips, as well as moderation help if needed.

Zilby
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (132)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Subzero008 » October 1, 2015 9:16pm | Report
Zilby wrote:

@Sub, did you make that Legifera & Libertus bit up or was that created by someone else? Because that pretty much covers my opinion on writing rules. This is part of why I'm not a fan of writing literature, the writing community is really divided on this subject (teachers included) and it doesn't lend itself to actually making good writing.

Fact is, whether a piece of writing is good is relatively subjective. Once a piece of writing has gone beyond a certain level (like that written by a 7 year old and grammar rules) it becomes much harder to tell what is and what isn't good writing.

Anyway, I enjoyed reading Sub's piece. It was made as a form of short entertainment essentially, so I'd say it accomplished its goal, at least for me. 'nuff said.

I wish. It was made by someone else.

It doesn't apply in just in creative fiction, but stuff like actual essays you'd write in school - hook + thesis + intro, X body paragraphs with their own main points and transitions, restated conclusion - it's terribly restrictive and makes essays dull and repetitive.

Of course, teaching people how to write is just such a convoluted and difficult process, I can't think of a better solution than "teach people how to write mediocre-good, standardized stuff," because that's better than "teach people to blunder around writing whatever and tossing at the wall until it sticks."

And thanks for the good words.

Subzero008

Renowned (112)
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

SMITEFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new god, or fine tune your favorite SMITE gods’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 SMITEFire | All Rights Reserved

} } } } }