Smitefire logo

Join the leading SMITE community.
Create and share God Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

How to make Supports viable again

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on SmiteFire.

Thread Locked

This thread has been locked by the moderators, you cannot reply to it.

Forum » Build & Guide Discussion » How to make Supports viable again 24 posts - page 1 of 3

Poll Question:

Do you think that Support is a lacking role?
Yeah!
Nah!
VOTE
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Stuke99 » June 29, 2015 12:19pm | Report
I never really liked the support role or guardians, but I would play if if I have too. Back in Season 1 it wasn't that bad to me I would play it and I won't have a problem, but ever since Season 2 started I HATED playing support if I had no chose.

One of the biggest problem with playing support is that they have a very slow start. One part of this problem is that they have a lack of gold and experience. Ever since they removed Midas' Boots and the Nerf to Watcher's Gift, Supports have a extremely hard time gaining the gold and the experience in order to play effectively. This Nerf at the start of Season 2 has crippled the support role heavily and it might be the hardest role in the game as you can't have enough items as they are all experiences and your team always wants you to use all of your money to buy wards when they can spare the gold to get some wards for themselves. Another problem with the Supports lack of gold and exp. is that the ADC is too self-centered. I've had games when I would get **** for killing the minions to get some gold and experience when I needed it more then my ADC does, also the support can't waste all of his money on wards as it takes away form his cash reserve to get support items. Their argument is "I need to carry you, so don't kill the minions.", well if I can't get the gold and the experience I can't help carry you so stop being so egotistical and spare some minions for the support.

So to conclude this, the Support role needs some new items or bring back Midas' Boots to get the gold they desperately need because if they fall behind the whole team is going to fall.

Stuke99
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (56)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by DucksRock » June 29, 2015 1:56pm | Report
I agree. Support just turned bland, Plus, If the Adc dies, it's a 69% he'll blame it on you.
Hi!

I'm DucksRock, But you can call me Ducks.

Kuzenbo rights advocate, guide-making delayer and passionate pop music fan.

Kuzenbo guide coming soon.

DucksRock

Prominent (41)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Devampi » June 30, 2015 12:17pm | Report
in almost all games support don't farm themselves unless the carry is gone. but one problem in smite is supports don't bring a lot to the fight when they don't have gold. In DotA supports only need mana and can be game changing. In LoL you also have supports liek this but in LoL supports have more approaches to get money and an item that gives them 3 wards every time they return to base (and also the trinket ward) leaving them for more money for other items

Devampi
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (105)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by ThePerfectPrism » July 12, 2015 11:08pm | Report
SMITE is a sad place for ppl like me.

Every game with a choice of role, I play the healer role. I'm used to it.

For me, it's the EASIEST role in every MMORPG.

When I got into SMITE, I fell in love with Aphrodite. Need I add more ?

I got 10 playing Aphrodite support back in season 1, and played 2 league games where I was Aphrodite support. Won both games.

I took my year break, when I get back, one of my "tutors" was like : If you're going support, you BETTER play Athena or Sylvanus ( I had no idea who Sylv was back than ). I was like " Can't I go Aphrodite ? I got 10 on her only playing support ".

He was like : Mate, this isn't Season 1. If you want to feed, go ahead and Aphrodite Support.

Of couse I did a amazing game. My Aphrodite support gets farm really easily, since I can farm 3-4 minion waves until the ADC was back from ganking/buying stuff.

But asides from that, I couldn't get gold What-So-Ever. Also, ppl where bullying me cuz I was playing my favorite gods to play on that role.

TL;DR - Smite is a ***** and Aphrodite is a usable support.
Signature by Stuke99, check out his Website Portfolio and his SmiteFire Profile!

ThePerfectPrism
<Mage Master>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (56)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Gr3gasm » July 17, 2015 8:32am | Report
I think maybe your looking at the support role the wrong way :) Support generally is always a couple levels behind the team, its just how it is. Your not suppose to have the most kills or the strongest god. Its all about being there for you team, peeling, initiating for team fights, and putting wards down for your team to protect against ganks.

Support is defiantly not for everyone, but I believe it is the most vital role to a well built team.

Gr3gasm

Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Devampi » July 17, 2015 9:31am | Report
Gr3gasm wrote:

I think maybe your looking at the support role the wrong way :) Support generally is always a couple levels behind the team, its just how it is.
This is normal for every MOBA and isn't really the main point why supports aren't valuable (still some support really need lvls to bring something to the fight)

Gr3gasm wrote:

Your not suppose to have the most kills or the strongest god. Its all about being there for you team, peeling, initiating for team fights, and putting wards down for your team to protect against ganks.

Support is defiantly not for everyone, but I believe it is the most vital role to a well built team.

And here you point out our problem. you can't peel well without items and some support can't initiate well without actives. And what do you need for items the biggest problems for a support: Gold. (also wards is something every member should buy even the carry should have a ward because otherwise you can't be in lane anywhere and will gain no gold (and no items) because you need to keep all those wards from every lane up)

The problem in smite is that supports barely get any gold. This reduces their effectiveness especcially in team fights. In late game a support normally misses ~2 full items (depending on how good the game is going for them). This isn't because they won't egt a lot of last hits but this is mostly because the items that supports normally buy are very expensive (the items they buy are mostly ~2000-2500 (only boots are 1500/1400 (depends on warrior or guardian support) by the time you get your protections up a bit the adc has already pen

Devampi
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (105)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Greenevers » July 17, 2015 10:44am | Report
Supporting is a lot more fun. If you have trouble getting enough gold, go travellers shoes. If you don't you can go pen boots or cdr boots for utility. The big difference in season 2 you have a lot more choices. You still have to get Watcher's Gift if you aren't going travellers though, not a big deal the MP5 invaluable, it's much better than Bluestone Pendant.

Idk I feel like as long as you know how to split farm well, you can make some great plays and do a lot for your team. I often find myself ahead of one or two teammates I'm gold/xp just because I've been farming well. The jungle camps' timer reduction did a lot for the jungler and support in terms of xp.

Greenevers
<Retired Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (105)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Gr3gasm » July 17, 2015 11:23am | Report
Devampi wrote:

This is normal for every MOBA and isn't really the main point why supports aren't valuable (still some support really need lvls to bring something to the fight)

And here you point out our problem. you can't peel well without items and some support can't initiate well without actives. And what do you need for items the biggest problems for a support: Gold. (also wards is something every member should buy even the carry should have a ward because otherwise you can't be in lane anywhere and will gain no gold (and no items) because you need to keep all those wards from every lane up)

The problem in smite is that supports barely get any gold. This reduces their effectiveness especcially in team fights. In late game a support normally misses ~2 full items (depending on how good the game is going for them). This isn't because they won't egt a lot of last hits but this is mostly because the items that supports normally buy are very expensive (the items they buy are mostly ~2000-2500 (only boots are 1500/1400 (depends on warrior or guardian support) by the time you get your protections up a bit the adc has already pen

I think we might just have to agree to disagree on this :)

I have never really seen a good support player complain about how expensive there Items are... ADC and Mid both have VERY expensive builds more so then support.

Active are there to help fill wholes where god need them, or to help counter other builds. Combat blink is the only active besides HOG that I feel support really needs. This is my opinion not claiming a fact.

But if you are having these issues you should probably thinking about switching to another role, even the pros are not saying that support isn't viable... because it is.

Gr3gasm

Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Gr3gasm » July 17, 2015 11:38am | Report
Standard hunter build: 14,555.00 gold
Standard Support build: 13,050.00 gold

Gr3gasm

Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Greenevers » July 17, 2015 12:01pm | Report
Yeah, support items are really cheap - the two core items Sovereignty and Heartward Amulet are extremely cost-efficient. Sometimes, a tanky solo laner would build one of them if the support needs an extra flex item.

Greenevers
<Retired Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (105)
View My Blog

SMITEFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new god, or fine tune your favorite SMITE gods’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 SMITEFire | All Rights Reserved

} } } } }