Smitefire logo

Join the leading SMITE community.
Create and share God Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Survival Horror

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on SmiteFire.

Forum » Off Topic » Survival Horror 17 posts - page 1 of 2
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by SoapSuds » August 21, 2014 11:19pm | Report
As some people may or may not know about me, I love nearly all things horror. I love horror movies (I have a fairly extensive horror movie collection), I love horror literature (from novels to Creepypastas and other internet horror stories), and I love horror memorabilia (I have a Chucky doll, a couple horror movie posters, and other horror memorabilia scattered throughout my room). It's all fun stuff to me, but I never get creeped out by movies or literature or even my Chucky doll constantly staring off in the distance. There's only one form of entertainment that can actually scare me, and that is survival horror video games.

I've been gaming ever since I was given an old NES to play on when I was younger, and one of the very first games I've ever played was the Friday the 13th game on the NES. Game has horrid reviews, and if I played it now, I'd agree, but when I was a kid, those moment Jason would randomly pop up and get you creeped me out at times.

Fast forward to me as a teenager when the PS2 was out, and I was playing scary games like Silent Hill 2 and Fatal Frame 2/3, and these games would scare the hell out of me.

Fast forward to nowadays, and the market for survival horror games has been growing in recent years quite nicely. There have been a lot of indie survival horror games coming out in recent years that have been highly publicized, such as Amnesia: The Dark Descent, Slender, and the very recent game Five Nights at Freddy's, which has been getting a lot of attention and high reviews, even with it being such a simple game.

I actually recently played P.T on the PS4, which is actually a playable teaser that revealed it to be a new Silent Hill game in the works called Silent Hills. That playable teaser, not even the full game, had to be one of the scariest games I've ever played. Everything about it was creepy. The atmosphere, the noises, the progression, and that's not even including the few jump scares it has.

What makes the survival horror genre such an interesting one is that because you're immersed in the game and actually are a part of what happens, it get to be miles scarier than any movie can do. As a lover of horror entertainment, some of the scares have left such an impression on me, I can still remember exact details on certain scares in games I played 10 years ago. Even something as simple as Slender can get scary because you are immersed in what is going on, while not knowing where Slender is and when he will strike.

So, this thread went on quite a while on just talking about my experience with the genre and what I enjoy with it, but are there any other fans of the survival horror genre, and if so, what are some of your favorite games, and even if you're not a fan, what were some of the scariest games and moments within those games that you've experienced?

Me, personally, some of my favorite scary games have been Fatal Frame 2 and 3, Silent Hill 2, Kuon, and even the playable teaser for Silent Hills has to rank up there for me. As for scary moments, I'll share some later considering I've already written a huge wall of text.
Comic Series Currently Reading:
  • Wonder Woman Vol 2
  • Green Lantern Vol 2
  • Infinity Gauntlet

SoapSuds

Prominent (43)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Firraria » August 22, 2014 12:10am | Report
Scariest gaming moments:

Every second of Outlast.

Firraria
<Skullcracker>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (58)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Pentargonite » August 22, 2014 1:26am | Report
Turns out you're the exact opposite of me!

You know I'm kinda tempted to buy Outlast and record it....

Pentargonite

Distinguished (62)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Mekali » August 22, 2014 3:15am | Report
^ I'm still voting for Cry Of Fear it has a lot of jump scares and that game is my scariest feeling, so because of that, i'm not shocked anymore of any horror films.

I want to try Outlast tho. Since u got no weapons and u can only hide.
"The Ravenous Demon Hunter"
"Siganature Made By me"

Mekali

Established (17)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by FerrumSlash » August 22, 2014 3:41am | Report
Scariest **** ever

FerrumSlash
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (70)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Devampi » August 23, 2014 4:40am | Report
Pentargonite wrote:

Turns out you're the exact opposite of me!

You know I'm kinda tempted to buy Outlast and record it....

your going to make a let's play of outlast. And you hate horror games (hey I don't like them too but sometimes their fun) this is gonna be fun.

Devampi
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (105)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Pentargonite » August 23, 2014 5:25am | Report
Devampi wrote:

your going to make a let's play of outlast. And you hate horror games (hey I don't like them too but sometimes their fun) this is gonna be fun.

Not sure tho....
Don't wanna do it alone :3

Pentargonite

Distinguished (62)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Devampi » August 23, 2014 5:50am | Report
Pentargonite wrote:

Not sure tho....
Don't wanna do it alone :3

Owh I wanna do it with you only thing is how?

Devampi
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (105)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Pentargonite » August 23, 2014 5:56am | Report
Devampi wrote:

Owh I wanna do it with you only thing is how?

Share screen on skype. But I first need moneys :3

Pentargonite

Distinguished (62)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Mekali » August 23, 2014 6:29am | Report
Ok fwak this i'm downlaoding Outlast and paly it alone jsut like i finished CRY OF FEAR ALONE!
"The Ravenous Demon Hunter"
"Siganature Made By me"

Mekali

Established (17)
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

SMITEFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new god, or fine tune your favorite SMITE gods’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 SMITEFire | All Rights Reserved

} } } } }