Smitefire logo

Join the leading SMITE community.
Create and share God Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Fantasy Books

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on SmiteFire.

Forum » Off Topic » Fantasy Books 5 posts - page 1 of 1
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Branmuffin17 » November 9, 2015 4:18pm | Report
Hey, you guys read fantasy books? Curious which are your favorites, if you do. Not like most of you have a lot of spare time, what with school, games, whatever.

I've read a lot. Here are some of my favorites:
  • Anything by Brandon Sanderson. Elantris, The Mistborn Trilogy. Warbreaker. The Stormlight Archive (ongoing, only 2 books right now). The Reckoners series (last book in 2016).

• Joe Abercrombie: First Law Trilogy, Best Served Cold, The Heroes, Red Country.

• Jim Butcher: Dresden Files series (lots of em). His Codex Alera series of 6 books isn't quite as good.

• Steven Erikson: The Malazan Book of the Fallen (10 books, but worth the time).

• Scott Lynch: Gentlemen Bastards series...ongoing.

• Patrick Rothfuss: The Kingkiller Chronicles Trilogy (3rd book was due like 5 years ago!!!)

• Brent Weeks: The Night Angel Trilogy, The Lightbringer series (4th and last book due 2016)

• Will Wight: The Traveller's Gate Trilogy

• Stephen King: Not counting all of his other works, specifically talking about the Dark Tower series.

Anyway, many of the above have some really cool writing styles, and unique, well thought out magic systems. There are other series (things from Terry Brooks, Hobbit/Lord of course), but the above have been my favorites.
Branmuffin17
<Administrator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Exalted (394)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Stuke99 » November 9, 2015 4:39pm | Report
My favorite series. Yes I know the first three are comics, but does it matter?

Bones: by Jeff Smith

Fairy Tail & Rave Master: both by Hiro Mashima

Ranger's Apprentice: by John Flanagan

Jounrey to the West: by Wu Cheng'en

Stuke99
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (56)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by ThePerfectPrism » November 10, 2015 2:47am | Report
Well ...

Anything by Clarice Lispector

Anything by Joanne Rowling, even her police-like book

Most of William Shakespeare's works

The Percy Jackson series author's works. Cant remember he's name right off the bat

How to train a dragon series

The Hunger Games series (books only)

Sounds 'bout right
Signature by Stuke99, check out his Website Portfolio and his SmiteFire Profile!

ThePerfectPrism
<Mage Master>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (56)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Bullfrog323 » November 10, 2015 7:56am | Report
I liked

David Eddings - The Belgariad
David Eddings - The Malloreon
Robert Jordan - Wheel of Time
Georges R.R. Martin - A Song of Ice and Fire

Also, some books are more written for teen, but are still good

Michael Scott - The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel
Jonathan Stroud - Bartimaeus Sequence
John Peel - Diadem
Trudi Cavanan - The Black Magician Trilogy

Bullfrog323

Prominent (27)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Branmuffin17 » November 11, 2015 1:39pm | Report
@Bullfrog

I read Eddings' The Belgariad a long time ago...if I recall, I liked it a lot...don't remember reading The Malloreon though.

I was one of those waiting year after year for the next book in the Wheel of Time series...and it kept getting more convoluted, and then of course, Jordan passed away, which made me really sad. It was my favorite author, Sanderson, who was chosen to finish the last books, and I think he did a good job of it while closing most open plotlines.

After Martin's book #4, I just couldn't do it anymore. I know the TV series is crazy popular (haven't watched it myself), but this is another case where the guy has too many open plotlines and his plan for finishing the series just keeps seeming to stretch. Maybe when it's all done I'll read the whole thing, but who knows when that will be! Thing I liked best about the series is that it was unpredictable...always wondering who the hell was going to die next, lol.
Branmuffin17
<Administrator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Exalted (394)
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

SMITEFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new god, or fine tune your favorite SMITE gods’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 SMITEFire | All Rights Reserved

} } } } }