Smitefire logo

Join the leading SMITE community.
Create and share God Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Book Discussion Thread

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on SmiteFire.

Forum » Off Topic » Book Discussion Thread 12 posts - page 1 of 2
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Firraria » May 15, 2014 11:13pm | Report
Discuss books you've read, why you like them, why you hate them, yatta datta latta matta.

Books I've read, in no particular order:

Right now I'm reading this book called This Star Wont Go Out: The Life and Words of Esther Grace Earl.
It's essentially the true story and diaries of this girl who had thyroid cancer. She died a few years ago, sadly. I haven't finished this one yet.

The Fault in our Stars (by John Green), is the story of a girl diagnosed with lung cancer. It's by-far my favorite book of all time. It was also inspired by Esther Grace Earl's story.

An Abundance of Katherines (also by John Green), which is about this kid who dated nineteen girls named Katherine. It was pretty good.

Will Grayson, Will Grayson (another by John Green), which was about two boys named Will Grayson, and their friendship with the incredibly fat Tiny Cooper.

Paper Towns (again, by John Green), where this little boy named Quentin finds a dead body at a park, where he and his young friend Margo seek to uncover the mystery (even though it's fairly apparent what happened), and then, several years later, follows Quentin on his quest to answer his one undying question: Who is Margo Roth Spiegelman?

Looking for Alaska (by John Green. You probably know by now that I like John Green), a story about this boy who goes to a boarding school, where he meets a guy who calls himself The Colonel, a girl named Alaska, and a **********ing fox.

And right now I'm also reading Morrissey's Autobiography (aptly titled as Autobiography).

I'm going to read Orange is the New Black pretty soon, although I have a ton of stuff to get through first.
I find it really hard to read any of JD Salinger's work, although The Catcher in The Rye was infinitely good, and I couldn't really put it down until I finished it.

I've been reading through this book called Dress Your Family in Denim and Corduroy, by David Sedaris. It's really hilarious. I've also been reading his book Holidays on Ice, which is a collection of some incredibly funny Christmas stories.

I recently found a copy of Grapes of Wrath buried under a pile of various junk (it's in good condition, shut up), so I'm going to try and read that soon. I read about half of it when I was like ten, but I pretty much forgot all of it.

And don't go getting at me for not reading that many books, mkoy? This is just a list of things I've read in the not-long-ago.

So anyway, like yeah. Post what you've been reading. You can talk about comic books and manga if that's your thing, I ain't judging.

Firraria
<Skullcracker>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (58)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by TormentedTurnip » May 15, 2014 11:54pm | Report
One of my favorite trilogies (technically a series because of an additional prequel released afterwards) is called the Bartimaeus Sequence. It's written from multiple perspectives, but mainly follows a wizard named Nathaniel as he grows and matures from, I believe, ages twelve to sixteen over the course of the three books, as well as a Djinni (basically a genie) named Bartimaeus. It's quite entertaining how their point of views differ, and the best parts of the book are definitely in Barteimaeus's sections, as there are hilarious footnotes on practically every single page. Another person becomes a pretty major character starting with the second book, but the first book is mostly written in Nathaniel's and Bartimaeus's points of view. Oh, and the third book gets really trippy near the end, haha. I felt like I was high just reading it.

Another highly ranked series is Harry Potter, of course. It's a genuinely exemplary set of books that improved with each novel. But while I wouldn't refer to it as overrated, I do think it happened to "catch a ride" per se better than many other equally superb series.

I remember loving Dracula for similar reasons to why I love the Bartimaeus Sequence. Multiple points of view almost always make for an interesting story.

Hm, I remember reading the Percy Jackson and the Olympions series back in middle/highschool, but while I recall liking it, I never ended up reading the last book. Probably should, haha.

Man, I've got a sudden urge to read The Giver now. It was one of those required books for summer reading back in elementary or middle school, and was the only one I actually enjoyed at that age. I wonder if I'd still like it...

Oh, and my favorite book of all time!: ^_^

TormentedTurnip
<Retired Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Esteemed (96)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Firraria » May 16, 2014 12:34am | Report
I've never read Harry Potter (am I a deprived child?), although I want to.

The Giver is also on my list of things to read, I've heard good things about it.

I read like the first fifth volumes of Naruto, but I stopped after that. It was definitely good, and I might pick it up again. I remember reading the first volume when I was younger, and I thought "what the hell is t&a?"
Also, that bootyful blue name tho.

Firraria
<Skullcracker>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (58)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by SoapSuds » May 16, 2014 12:38am | Report
Going to keep comic books out of the discussion because most people know by now that I'm a big fan of DC comics.

I honestly don't read many books anymore. Most of what I enjoy reading has to do with non-fictional material, such as history, biographies, etc, and I find all of those online most of the time. However, I have read plenty of books in the past, so there are a few worth mentioning.

Red Dragon. I've been a big fan of the character Hannibal Lecter ever since I watched Silence of the Lambs, which is one of my favorite movies of all time. I had to read this for my American Gothic Horror Literature class a few semesters ago, and it was great. Been meaning to continue on with the series, but again, I don't read many fictional books.

Inferno (Dante). Again, this was a book I had to read for a class. This one I read in my senior year in high school, and I enjoyed it quite a bit. I'm not a religious person, but it was a very interesting story to read Dante going through each level of Hell.

The Giving Tree. This is definitely one of my favorite childhood books. Honestly really not much to say about it, other than it's a very enjoyable read.

Some of my favorites I can think of at the top of my head.
Comic Series Currently Reading:
  • Wonder Woman Vol 2
  • Green Lantern Vol 2
  • Infinity Gauntlet

SoapSuds

Prominent (43)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by HiFromBuddha » May 16, 2014 4:21am | Report
Book Thief. Yeah, it's more for my age group, but Book Thief is just so damn good.

Also, The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas is fantastic, and some others... I enjoyed a little book called The Cay which I stumbled across out of boredom, and that was a very nice surprise.
The top rated He Bo guide on SmiteFire!
My rather unimpressive and slowly growing anime list!
Currently watching:
    Punchline
Currently Reading:
    Utsuro no Hako to Zero Maria
    Nisekoi: False Love
    The World God Only Knows

HiFromBuddha
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (115)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by TheGenocideLord » May 16, 2014 4:36am | Report
The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton, yeah pretty detailed and nice for conflicting teens

Percy Jackson and Heroes of Olympus favs fo sho

The Call Of Cthulhu, since I'm playing Smite, I guess I don't need to tell you that I like supernatural hierarchies

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, very very EXTREMELY close second to my favorite book

The Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy, true believers will know the why is 42
What my yearbook quote should be: "Fluorine Uranium Carbon Potassium Ytrrium Oxygen Uranium Bismuth Technetium Einsteinium"

TheGenocideLord

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (13)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by MadDanny » May 16, 2014 4:45am | Report
The only thing I read is anything published by Tom Clancy. Other than that some mysteries which I forgot the names of since there're a lot of them.
This is my signature. It is full of vowels and consonants.
In-game name: MadDany

Owner of: SmiteFireGaming clan. Open for our SmiteFire community members
Pm or look for our thread(I'd prefer if you'd go to our threadsince I don't online that often.)
A.K.A.The Mad Priest

MadDanny

Prominent (34)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by HiFromBuddha » May 16, 2014 4:52am | Report
I actually read The Outsiders. It was, uh, alright I guess. Not something that I would say is going to be my all time favourite, but it was memorable at least.
The top rated He Bo guide on SmiteFire!
My rather unimpressive and slowly growing anime list!
Currently watching:
    Punchline
Currently Reading:
    Utsuro no Hako to Zero Maria
    Nisekoi: False Love
    The World God Only Knows

HiFromBuddha
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (115)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by FerrumSlash » May 16, 2014 6:50am | Report
I'll start this off with my favorite books:
-The strange case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (Robert L. Stephenson)
-20000 Leagues under the Sea (Jules Verne)
-The Lord of the Flies (William Golding)
-1984 (George Orwell)
-Metro 2033 (Dmitri Glukhovsky)

FerrumSlash
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (70)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Talenhiem » May 16, 2014 7:32am | Report
You guys don't have ANYthing on me when it comes to this topic. I've read every single book in my house, bar my mother's quilting ones. I'll point out some of my favs, though.

Ready Player One. think Willy Wonka meets the Matrix. Oh, and you also learn more about the 1980s than you need to, even though it takes place in the 2040s.

Peter and the Starcatchers trilogy. A magical yet 100% plausible explanation to Peter Pan - and it's targeted at adults.

the Mysterious Benedict Society trilogy. This should be required reading. I actually relate myself a bit to Reynie.

Brave New World. One comment: Beware the single story.

Talenhiem

Prominent (33)
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

SMITEFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new god, or fine tune your favorite SMITE gods’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 SMITEFire | All Rights Reserved

} } } } }