Smitefire logo

Join the leading SMITE community.
Create and share God Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Odin as a Tank for a nuub

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on SmiteFire.

Forum » New Player Help » Odin as a Tank for a nuub 14 posts - page 1 of 2
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by oldusmanus » January 28, 2015 5:42am | Report
Hi i am a new to smite but not new to MOBA.

Been thinking of Playing with a few characters in order to get familiar with the game and be able to play different rolls in CQ.

Well I haven't practiced with a tank or guardian like it is called and I was thinking of Odin, becuase u know the allfather is bad ***. But I don't have that much favour to spend so can't buy all the gods.

My question is two folded, one is Odin a good tank or is he rubbish (keep in mind that I am not going to play pro so I don't need to play with the currently most OP god there is) and two since I am not a master of Smite should I go for another guardian to start practicing with?
It was self defence!!! the orphanage attacked me...

oldusmanus

Permalink | Quote | +Rep by GeouZu » January 28, 2015 6:06am | Report
I play Odin in support role sometimes. His clear with jump and shield is great in early game and allows your hunter to get last hits and clear the wave faster. Also it deals a lot of damage allowing you to set up kills for your adc.

His ultimate is great to trap enemies for your team, don't let enemy get close to FG/GF while you are doing it or blocking jungle paths.

But the thing is that yes, odin does huge damage early and maybe mid game, his ult is good, but when you use your jump to get in and use your ult then you are trapped too. That is why I usually get blink on him, but still, he does not bring so much to the table as other warrios (Herc for example) and guardians.

If you want to try support role then I recommend to start with Geb and maybe and Athena. They are strong and not it is not too hard to learn how to play them. If you want warrior support then Hercules or Sun Wukong. But Herc is a bit tricky.

GeouZu

Memorable (12)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by oldusmanus » January 28, 2015 6:28am | Report
I will give Athena a try, I am only playing with norse gods :P thx for the advise

oldusmanus

Permalink | Quote | +Rep by GeouZu » January 28, 2015 7:17am | Report
Norse FTW! Don't forget that you can try any god in jungle practice ;)

GeouZu

Memorable (12)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Ryansalt » January 28, 2015 7:32am | Report
Odin will definitely be an effective support choice during your lower levels but once you get to higher levels of play he will fall off a lot. As GeoZu said the top supports at the moment are Athena, Geb and Sylvanus (who wasn't mentioned but is probably the strongest of the three). However I would actually recommend putting off learning them until a little later on because they are not as effective with poor teammates and watching your team completely ignore the fact that they have your shield or that you are taunting the entire enemy team is incredibly frustrating.

Picking the norse pantheon as your main focus leaves one standout choice for support, Ymir. Ymir is an absolute badass at lower levels and is still a top God when played well at higher levels, as shown by his respect bans in the recent smite tournament. Ymir has amazing abilities for supporting and actually has one of the higher damage potentials with his passive and ultimate. If you do choose to go as Ymir then I highly recommend blink as an active item because he doesn't have any gap closer.

Other than Ymir the 3 possible supports are Odin, who you mentioned, Tyr and Hel, as a mage support . However all 3 are more commonly played in other lanes. Tyr(Solo/Jungle) Odin(Solo/sometimes seen jungle) and Hel(Mid/Solo). At lower levels this shouldn't matter too much however because people don't follow the meta.

If you aren't too bothered about playing support and you just want an amazing norse God then Freya is amazing

As a final note in my experience Odin is probably one of the stronger joust tanks in the game because of his ultimate and the ease at which he can hit his jump combo. So if you are going to play joust then he is great!

Ryansalt

Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Ryansalt » January 28, 2015 7:47am | Report
I've just realised that you're playing on Xbox not PC. I haven't played on a console so i'm not sure how different it is but I expect that most players will be new to MOBA's and Smite so you should hopefully be fine with most picks :)

Ryansalt

Permalink | Quote | +Rep by oldusmanus » January 28, 2015 8:08am | Report
thx for the thorough replies guys! really appreciate it. Yeah I play Freya, the only problem I have is that mid game she gets too powerful and I think I am immortal and just jump in everywhere which doesn't always go right hehehe

I will be playing on the Xbox, but for now I play with the controller on my ****py laptop :P

but maybe I should only go support when I am duo queue or full team queue.

oldusmanus

Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Greenevers » January 28, 2015 9:24am | Report
Odin support is still decent. He falls off in terms of damage but his utility from his ultimate stays the same. You really need to know when and where to use his ultimate because that's probably the trickiest part of him.

Greenevers
<Retired Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (105)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Devampi » January 28, 2015 10:08am | Report
I agree with ryansalt.

Odin is pretty good as early game support because of the damage he brings but in late game he has less to offer. But played right you can have a fed adc and an enemy team that is cursing each other)

Also as support I would recommend Geb or Ymir to start out with ( Athena is a bit trickier IMO) and don't underestimate Ymir he is a great support (only not so favored in the NA scene (EU is where he is a support legend))

Devampi
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (105)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by oldusmanus » January 29, 2015 2:03am | Report
After reading guides and watching youtube, I will invest my time and favor points in Sylavanus, basically because he looks funny and seems to be pretty strong. And the guy has a walking tree, can't ignore that.

But he does seem to have a high level cap to be played properly, but I guess I will have to endure loads of rage in the beginning.

once again thx for all the comments was really helpful since I don't have allt that much free time so I can't play as much as I would want to.

oldusmanus

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

SMITEFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new god, or fine tune your favorite SMITE gods’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 SMITEFire | All Rights Reserved

} } } } }