Smitefire logo

Join the leading SMITE community.
Create and share God Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

How do I help new players that just insult me?

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on SmiteFire.

Forum » New Player Help » How do I help new players that just insult me? 15 posts - page 1 of 2
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by WatchfulShadow » May 10, 2014 6:27pm | Report
I'm sure we've all had this problem. I just got done with a game in which I had two Meditations on my team with no masteries of the Gods they chose, against a team that seemed to know what they were doing. Needless to say, it didn't go well. After the game I told my team to please never buy Meditation, I got called a noob and was told to uninstall the game. I would happily spend a while helping someone I don't even know, understand the game a little better, yet I get met with insults?

What do I do? Just forget them and move on? The sad part is that someone just like me will probably end up in a game with that/those player(s) and receive the same insults. I would have been more than happy to explain why Med is not worth buying, and what they should have bought instead. I asked if they were on auto-buy, but they left the lobby.

I literally don't know how to talk to these stubborn, naive players that think they know the game better than you. I don't know what to say that won't result in me being called a noob or another typical, immature internet insult.

WatchfulShadow

Remarkable (6)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Dark Jaw » May 10, 2014 7:23pm | Report
Just forget and move on. They'll realize their mistakes, and will learn by theirselves. On my experience, everytime I try to give a positive advice to someone, they just tell me to ''stfu''.

I know it's sad, but they'll fix their own problems, or else they'll keep noobing forever. Not that I care, though.

Dark Jaw

Prominent (44)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Odd Arcade » May 10, 2014 8:11pm | Report
I had a Nemesis in my game earlier that told me to shut up when I pinged her to take a jungle buff, admittedly I then died, she used the most aggravation VGS command ever... 'You Rock!' and instead of biting back I just used 'Quiet!' every single time instead, she eventually got really annoyed and stopped saying anything. She then went negative and I chuckled to myself c:

Odd Arcade
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Prominent (46)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Greenevers » May 10, 2014 8:25pm | Report
Well, you don't have to place yourself as the mentor for everyone, as long as you level up fast, you will play with more knowledgeable players...Somewhat xD. And I disagree with you to never buy meditation, as sometimes it can be useful only in the extreme circumstances with specific god and also works wonders in assault.

Just play through the noobs until you find a nice one lol

Greenevers
<Retired Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (105)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Florblar » May 28, 2014 12:30am | Report
I speak as a new player here when I say the way that some 'veterans' go about 'explaining' leaves a lot to be desired. I dont know the specifics of what every player trying to help says but in my experience most 'helpful' comments are usually phrased poorly. For example at the start of a game when a player says "omg you are 'x' class and you bought 'y' item! you are so bad. go delete game from your hard drive". These comments are spoken/written as though the offending player is deliberately trying to sabotage the game. Hanlon's Razor states:

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

Substitute the word 'ignorance' for 'stupidity' and I think you have the crux of most issues in games in general. New players like me sometimes just dont know any better. They arent trying to be bad, they just are.

In the above example if the player had said "Hey man, you know by buying that item you are going to be putting yourself at a disadvantage against the opposition. If you bought 'z' item instead, you would be better off". I know that I respond far better to that kind of communication than someone having a go at me for being bad. I take it in, think about it and hopefully come back a better player in the next game. Someone talking down to me is very easily dismissed as an elitist douchebag.

I know I am going on a bit here but long story short, there isnt a font for the tone of your voice. A kind and reasonable comment will get you a lot further with many (not all) players imo.

Florblar

Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Wafflebob » May 28, 2014 1:32am | Report
So here. I'm a noob. I quit LoL and DOTA because the "experienced" players treated me like gerbage. I'm not stupid. I'm inexperienced. I have NO FREAKING CLUE why I wouldn't want meditation. To me it seems awesome. You don't have to pay gold every time and it fills my blue bar thingie. That said I'm spending most of my time trying to figure out what items to get so I don't end up flopping around the battlefield feeding like some kind of idiot. I've been playing for 3 days and I haven't even freaking LOOKED at active items. When someone tries to help me the first thing i'm looking at is their tone. I KNOW that on the internet intention and tone doesn't transfer well, but if they seem condescending, i'm going to tell you to shove it so far up your butt you go blind. I'm not here to get insulted, I'm here to learn how to make an aligator with a giant axe devour chinese fairy gods and that's it. if the players won't let me do it, I'm gonna move on and find some other fairy eating aligator man game.
So anyway, here are my tips if you wanna help. First off, ask if we want help. Some of us are buttplugs and we don't want help. We know everything and you're just some jerk getting all up in our face. Me? I want help. I tried looking up a build for Ymir and it told me to get heartseeker. He can't even equip the damned thing. The internet has no clue what it's doing.
Oh yeah. Why DON'T I want meditation? It like fills my blue bar. It's totally sweet. I'm all like, "poop i'm outta blue" and its all like "I got ya dawg" and I'm like, "hells yeah. i'm fulla blue" and its like "imma be back later, at no extra charge"

Wafflebob

Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Heartwire » May 28, 2014 3:28am | Report
Meditation can be nice early game.
Issue is, you can't sell actives ones purchased.
Since you can only equip 2, they are usually spend better on other things.
However, the opinions on meditation are divided.
And it also depends on the game mode.
For example; in Assault, pretty much everyone grabs it for the heal from what i've seen.
But in Arena, I barely ever see it used.
Since the base is close, you can just run back for a few seconds, and come back with full mana and hp.
As for conquest, I honestly have no clue since I don't play that.
But pretty much everyone else here does.

As for helping people, I usually send them a whisper instead of using the public chat.
Just seems to be a better idea.
But a lot of times, despite my best efforts, people neglect it and either rage at me or ignore me.

There are people that do take advice though.
Example:
I played 2 rounds with the same Poseidon in arena yesterday.
The first time I noticed he did not use Gem of Isolation
When I encountered him on a second game as my team-mate, I whispered him, I suggested for him to pick it up because of the slow, and makes his whirlpool almost inescapable without actives (most jumps are blocked too)
He took the advice, and thanked me for the "great tip" and "That it does indeed help a ton!"
It got him to land his Ulti a few times dead-center (Inner part of Poseidons ulti does more dmg)

So there are some that take advice, but from experience, the majority simply does not.
And I always make sure my tone is helpful and nice, and not like a jackass that goes "omg u suxx0r u ned THIS ITEM! cause I say so!!!"
I give them a reason as to why it would be helpful.
It just gets discouraging when you do bother to type out an entire explanation and you just blatantly get told off.
But I keep trying =)

Heartwire

Established (16)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Devampi » May 28, 2014 8:05am | Report
Wafflebob wrote:

So here. I'm a noob. I quit LoL and DOTA because the "experienced" players treated me like gerbage. I'm not stupid. I'm inexperienced. I have NO FREAKING CLUE why I wouldn't want meditation. To me it seems awesome. You don't have to pay gold every time and it fills my blue bar thingie. That said I'm spending most of my time trying to figure out what items to get so I don't end up flopping around the battlefield feeding like some kind of idiot. I've been playing for 3 days and I haven't even freaking LOOKED at active items. When someone tries to help me the first thing i'm looking at is their tone. I KNOW that on the internet intention and tone doesn't transfer well, but if they seem condescending, i'm going to tell you to shove it so far up your butt you go blind. I'm not here to get insulted, I'm here to learn how to make an aligator with a giant axe devour chinese fairy gods and that's it. if the players won't let me do it, I'm gonna move on and find some other fairy eating aligator man game.
So anyway, here are my tips if you wanna help. First off, ask if we want help. Some of us are buttplugs and we don't want help. We know everything and you're just some jerk getting all up in our face. Me? I want help. I tried looking up a build for Ymir and it told me to get heartseeker. He can't even equip the damned thing. The internet has no clue what it's doing.
Oh yeah. Why DON'T I want meditation? It like fills my blue bar. It's totally sweet. I'm all like, "poop i'm outta blue" and its all like "I got ya dawg" and I'm like, "hells yeah. i'm fulla blue" and its like "imma be back later, at no extra charge"

wow I don't know which mode your playing but any god can equip every item (except for assault the banned items) so ymir can equip a heartseeker (that it isn't standing in recommended doesn't mean you can buy it (search for it under all items))

That you like meditation is fine with me, but on some chars its not useful anymore because on late game their mana regen is high enough.

Your argument on that some players don't want help okay with me but you better aren't yelling at others (even if they don't know what they're doing) what they need to do because you will first need too know what you're doing yourself.

And I mostly report players (telling you to go kill yourself or uninstall the game etc.) for harassment. Even players that are constantly asking for report him report him.

Devampi
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (105)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Pentargonite » May 28, 2014 8:47am | Report
Devampi wrote:

wow I don't know which mode your playing but any god can equip every item (except for assault the banned items) so ymir can equip a heartseeker (that it isn't standing in recommended doesn't mean you can buy it (search for it under all items))

Ymir can't buy Heartseeker, Heartseeker gives physical power and Ymir has magical power. Magical gods only can buy stuff with magical power and the same is for physical gods.

Pentargonite

Distinguished (62)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Devampi » May 28, 2014 9:58am | Report
well never tested that XD could have known

Devampi
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (105)
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

SMITEFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new god, or fine tune your favorite SMITE gods’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 SMITEFire | All Rights Reserved

} } } } }