Smitefire logo

Join the leading SMITE community.
Create and share God Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Looking For a General Mentor

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on SmiteFire.

Forum » Mentoring » Looking For a General Mentor 16 posts - page 1 of 2
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by El Flikeros Diablos » September 22, 2015 10:30am | Report
Hello all,

I recently joined SMITE on PC via Steam and was looking for someone to mentor me. I have access to all gods and can't decide on a particular role or hero. Once I've got the hang of things i could turn out to be a reliable team mate. I game on most days (specially at the moment to to lack of a job). I have a headset and a capable comuter and internet.

As this is my first MOBA i am new to most mechanics. But i have played almost every other type of game from Singleplayer/Multiplayer RPG's, RTS, to COD.. not to blow my own horn but I am quite a capable gamer/ learner.

In game nickname is: Flikeros.
Steam Username is: El Flikeros Diablos.

I would prefer some Aussies but at the end of the day i;ll learn from anyone who is willing to teach.

El Flikeros Diablos

Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Devampi » September 22, 2015 12:05pm | Report
Hello and welcome to smitefire,

first I would recommend you to [read this guide. It will give you a general idea of all roles (it's a bit outdated on certain points)

However my first recommendation is to find someone you enjoy playing and then look deeper in the specific roles (as sometimes learning a god can be pretty difficult). Especially since the early lvls roles aren't used a lot (except when playing with smurfing players) and most peopel aren't used to hitting stuf.

Also would I like to recommend you to put of auto lvling (right from the start as this is something you can better do yourself and learn really quick). It helps with learning the god (and gives a better view of the abilities as you need to read the ability instead of just use them)

I would also recommend you to learn building items as fast too but before you do that you should be a bit decent at the person you are playing. However don't start late as learning the items is like learning gods a big part of the game.

If you have more questions Just ask them. (note I haven't been playing a lot as I'm pretty busy lately so I can;t give really specific details on builds per class etc.)

Devampi
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (105)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Rinorim » September 22, 2015 12:49pm | Report
MOBA's are definitely different from most other games. They take what you think you know, and then point out that you know nothing o.O

But seriously, they are far more difficult, because they're constantly changing and you're playing strictly against other people which by its very nature is tough.

A big piece of general advice that I think most people miss is this. If you're losing a game, don't just surrender. Learning to play from behind is one of the biggest parts of the game, because at some point you're going to be behind. Your team might be winning, but their carry could be about to snowball, and you'll need to be able to gauge their power properly, and in my opinion, playing from behind helps this immensely.

It gives you a better understanding of the balance of power, and it helps people realize that a god isn't terrible/op just because of one game experience. It's possible you're just outfarmed/overfarmed.

Anyways, that's my two cents, feel free to PM me with any questions.
Carry since 2011

Rinorim

Remarkable (5)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Devampi » September 22, 2015 1:19pm | Report
Rinorim wrote:

MOBA's are definitely different from most other games. They take what you think you know, and then point out that you know nothing o.O

Every genre can do this and sometimes even a game within the genre XD

Rinorim wrote:

A big piece of general advice that I think most people miss is this. If you're losing a game, don't just surrender. Learning to play from behind is one of the biggest parts of the game, because at some point you're going to be behind. Your team might be winning, but their carry could be about to snowball, and you'll need to be able to gauge their power properly, and in my opinion, playing from behind helps this immensely.

It gives you a better understanding of the balance of power, and it helps people realize that a god isn't terrible/op just because of one game experience. It's possible you're just outfarmed/overfarmed.

(A mistake being made by Pros in LoL scrimms in the EU side XD)

Devampi
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (105)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Rinorim » September 22, 2015 1:24pm | Report
Devampi wrote:

Every genre can do this and sometimes even a game within the genre XD

(A mistake being made by Pros in LoL scrimms in the EU side XD)

Hmm... good point, but it happened to me with MOBA's back in the day.

and yeah, I see a lot of pros make amateur mistakes, it's kind of nice sometimes to see that even us casuals can possibly reach the pro scene :D ... maybe...
Carry since 2011

Rinorim

Remarkable (5)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by El Flikeros Diablos » September 22, 2015 2:43pm | Report
Thanks for the replies. One thing that sets MOBA's apart from other games (other then maybe Dark souls) is that you can think your learning the ropes and getting the gist of things .. then you go on PVP and its a different animal. Something that bots will never replicate

Been liking Bellona. Been playing a sort of bruiser build. I wouldn't mind playing suppourt but it seems to be one of the more demanding roles.

I've got my head around the items. I mostly figured it out just playing around with optimizing a couple builds. The item guides are great but i think that one would become too reliant on them and not be able to accommodate for match conditions.

BTW i added you Rinorim. If you ever have some free time i would love to party up and learn in game.

El Flikeros Diablos

Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Rinorim » September 22, 2015 3:51pm | Report
Yeah no problem, and Bellona is pretty popular right now, so it's not surprising that you enjoy her. haha

Do you have curse voice? I use that to chat ingame
Carry since 2011

Rinorim

Remarkable (5)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Devampi » September 22, 2015 9:39pm | Report

The item guides are great but i think that one would become too reliant on them and not be able to accommodate for match conditions.

yeah bots is a big pitfall. they don't think like players.

Also in most cases builds in smite are pretty stale (especially looking at adc builds). Most roles that aren't very stale do have situationals listed in (good) guides. Still only the support and solo are more reliant on team compositions for their items (mostly protections)

Devampi
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (105)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Vithaliy » September 23, 2015 12:57am | Report
From my experience of a former non-MOBA player :
- Arena is a good training area : you'll get to try your moves in real situations; (almost) no farming, only fights
- You should try to master at least 2 gods of each kind (2 hunters, 2 warriors...) in order to find which style you prefer. Note that you'll change your mind 3 or 4 times about that! :D
- If you suck at a game, don't always blame your team mates or yourself, there are match-ups that you cannot win (late game compo vs early game compo, counter picks...). Learn from that.
- Don't underestimate the passive of gods and items, it's way too important.

When it comes to Conquest (the king of all game modes):
- ADC role will probably be the easiest in your case: considering you already have some FPS experience, aiming with a hunter should be no problem for you. Finding the good ADC build is really easy compared to solo/support (like Devampi said, it should vary according to the other team compo)
- Farming is the key in the current meta, always try to maximize your farming.
- First blood can trigger a snowball effect on both sides; be careful and try not to give it to the other team.
- Don't give up to early : some gods are really good early game ( Thanatos, Bastet, Bakasura, Cupid ...) but kinda drop off in the late game, while some only shine in the late game ( Osiris, Artemis, Loki...)
- Use actives as situationals. For example, always get Greater Purification against gods with slows/stun/root in their ultimate combos (like Ares, Cupid, Poseidon, Hades, ...), get Weakening Curse (especially if you're the support) against healers ( Aphrodite, Hel, Chang'e), get Blink if you need to engage often, ...
- If possible, if playing as a support, do not get the kills if you're carry can secure the kill : let your carry get the extra gold so that he will get big in the late game. The priority for XP and gold in your team should be the carry and the mid-lane, then solo, jungler and support.
- The support role is the most ungrateful of all: you do most of the work, you sacrifice your build for the good of the team, you don't get the kills and if your carry dyes he'll blame you half of the time. But when you play with people that understand all roles, it becomes really nice.
- Mid-laner and Solo-laner will always blame the jungler if they get ganked, even if they're not even warding.
- It's extremely difficult to come back in XP/gold as a jungler : once you're jungle has been invaded you're screwed
Xbox One Player

Timezone CET (Paris, Europe)
Playtime From 7pm to 12am
Pref. Roles Support | Jungler

Have a look on my brand new Arachne guide!

Vithaliy

Remarkable (8)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Devampi » September 23, 2015 1:15am | Report
Vithaliy wrote:

- Farming is the key in the current meta, always try to maximize your farming.
- If possible, if playing as a support, do not get the kills if you're carry can secure the kill : let your carry get the extra gold so that he will get big in the late game. The priority for XP and gold in your team should be the carry and the mid-lane, then solo, jungler and support.
- Mid-laner and Solo-laner will always blame the jungler if they get ganked, even if they're not even warding.
- It's extremely difficult to come back in XP/gold as a jungler : once you're jungle has been invaded you're screwed

-farming has always been important ever 20 last hits more can almost be considered as a kill (to lazy to do the math) so the person who can farm better will have more money (unless they are feeding)

-Not only as support but also depending on which sort of jungle you are should give kills to lane mates (this is less common as tank junglers isn't something you see a lot (these end up in more supportive members in the late game) and especially try to give kills to you carry as jungler (unless he is already pretty fed or you have a carry jungler like Kali)

-just don't blame the sup and jungle for everything don't think a jungle will gank a fed mid laner without more help.

-when invaded it's hard however you can come back. if you are counter jungled the best way is to counter counter jungle.

Devampi
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (105)
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

SMITEFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new god, or fine tune your favorite SMITE gods’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 SMITEFire | All Rights Reserved

} } } } }