Smitefire logo

Join the leading SMITE community.
Create and share God Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

[RMDEC13] Balder, The Mistleteinn Prince

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on SmiteFire.

Forum » God & Item Ideas » [RMDEC13] Balder, The Mistleteinn Prince 11 posts - page 1 of 2
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Siinrajiaal » December 21, 2013 10:13pm | Report
My In Game Name is Siinrajiaal, but you may call me Siin. This is my first submitted contest entry here, and I hope it will be entertaining if nothing else. I have an affinity with Balder.

Balder is the Norse God of Light, and brother to Thor. He is loved by many as a light of compassion, but seen by others as a prideful and vain God. While not the greatest Warrior, he is a powerful supporting member of a team, able to serve as a tank most times and even as a healer when the need arises.

Balder's history is not well recorded or preserved. Of the stories remembered, probably the best known is his death at the hands of Loki's machinations. Some legends say he was killed with a dart of mistletoe, and others a spear. There are even those who accounts that relate his death at the tip of a magic sword, Mistleteinn. I have chosen to build this contest entry around that sword.

All values given are examples and not necessarily the values that will be used.

BALDER

Norse
Melee (Ranged) Magical
Support Mage Tank

- 1.3/1.7/2 Attack Progression for basic attack rate and damage

--- --- ---
Passive:
Mistleteinn's Pride:
Balder wields a heavy magical greatsword named Mistleteinn, which has a very slow attack rate. Each basic attack stacks a charge of Mistleteinn's Pride that increases his attack speed by 3%. Stacking the maximum of 9 charges of Mistleteinn's Pride affects Balder's abilities.

- At full charge Mistleteinn's Pride grants Balder 27% increased attack speed.
--- --- ---
1:
Bright Javelin:
When the toggle is activated Balder's basic attacks cost mana. His basic attacks are able to attack twice by creating a javelin of light beyond his basic attack range. This javelin does 30% decreased damage but still applies on hit effects. They also travel quickly and have a 20% increase in their range. Javelins are able to add stacks of Balder's passive but they do no damage to structures.

If nine charges of his passive are stacked, his next basic attack under Bright Javelin will be 75% faster, and will instantly strike all enemies in a wider ranged area.

- Creates Javelin whether attack hits or misses
- Cooldown: 5
- Mana Cost: 20 per attack
--- --- ---
2:
Radiant Mark:
Balder freezes the ground in a wide area for 5 seconds, slowing all enemy gods by 20%. Pressing 2 again during the ability, Balder can mark an enemy in the frozen zone in melee range with a pillar of light from a bright star, ending the area effect. The marked enemy is now slowed by 30%/35%/40%/45%/50% for 1/2/3/4/5 seconds while they take 15% increased damage.

Additionally if 9 charges of Balder's passive are stacked, then they are consumed when an enemy god is marked and for the next 3/4/5/6/7 seconds 30%/35%/40%/45%/50% of all damage against that god is life tapped to be returned to all attackers as healing.

- Cooldown: 30/27/24/21/18
- Mana Cost: 60/70/80/90/100
--- --- ---
3:
Quantum Of Light:
Balder becomes light and dashes forward a moderate distance over one second. During this time he takes normal damage but ignores all stuns, crowd control, enemies, and obstacles.

If he has 9 charges of his passive stacked they are consumed and the dash instead becomes a teleport, doing 75/150/225/300/375 (+60% Magical Power) damage to enemies in his path and blinding them for 1 second.

- This ability can go through Ymir and Thor's walls, as well as other obstacles like Anhur's pillar.
- Cooldown: 25/24/23/22/21
- Mana Cost: 40
--- --- ---
Ultimate:
The Lily Of The Valley:
When Balder activates The Lily Of The Valley, there is no sound or animation to the enemies knowledge*, but teammates will see him as ice with a chilling aura. For 3/4/5/6/7 seconds, all attacks and abilities against Balder do 15% increased damage. After the ultimate ends, 100% of the damage dealt to him by each opponent is returned to the respective attacker. If Balder is slain during The Lily of the Valley, 250/325/400/475/550 (+20% Magical Power) additional damage is dealt to the person dealing the killing blow and Balder shatters.

If Mistleteinn's Pride has all 9 charges stacked when the damage is dealt, stacks are not consumed and Respawn is instant.

- Observant opponents might realize that Balder is taking extra damage.
- Cooldown: 100 seconds
- Mana Cost: 40/50/60/70/80
--- --- ---

BUILD INFO
Balder would be best built with high HP, and low protections, using ethereal staff to boost his power. He gains extra benefit from on hit effects due to his potential to hit more than one enemy at a time with basic attacks. He could benefit from certain attack speed items, but due to a decreased attack speed base he will gain reduced benefits. Cooldown items could benefit him as his cooldowns are not the greatest, but not the worst either. He plays best as a side tank offering useful support effects like area slow, a 1second blind and a life tap debuff that benefits all teammates. He is not for players who have issues with basic attacks as his passive and his Bright are crucial to his playstyle.

Possible Items: Shoes of Focus, Shoes of Magi, Warlock Sash, Ethereal Staff, Hastened Fatalis, Rod of Tahuti, Rod of Asclepius, Demonic Grip, Chronos Pendant, Gem of Binding, Bancroft Talon.

EDIT LOG
-Improved scaling on his 2.
-Removed Damage immunity from 3, keeping CC immunity to better match the kit.
-Increased scaling on abilities from magical power due to tankier intentions.
-Added notes for each skill
-Added coloring to improve wall of text
-Added build info section explaining the character's usage and listing possible items.
-Formatted contest entry
-Removed cluttering information

Siinrajiaal

Notable (1)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Ragingstorm » December 21, 2013 10:26pm | Report
I really feel bad for people that do this.

They type up a huge paragraph expecting Hirez to check it out and implement it into their systems.

I mean, even if its for the community to just look at, it's still a big waste of time to type up so much. In that moment, you could've played another round. Or joust. Or watch a video.
All Hail Queen Storm, Queen Storm, Queen Ragingstorm!
You may call me Miss Storm.

"I have returned to the battlefield of these men, and this time, there will be no more salvation,"~Ragingstorm

BB Coding Queen of Smitefire: In the Olden Days, at least.

Ragingstorm

Prominent (49)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Siinrajiaal » December 21, 2013 10:31pm | Report
Not sure what you mean exactly?

Siinrajiaal

Notable (1)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by UnknownPandr » December 21, 2013 10:38pm | Report
Ragingstorm wrote:

They type up a huge paragraph expecting Hirez to check it out and implement it into their systems.

I mean, even if its for the community to just look at, it's still a big waste of time to type up so much. In that moment, you could've played another round. Or joust. Or watch a video.

I believe this thread is for RazeMages god idea contest....

UnknownPandr

Prominent (35)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Ragingstorm » December 21, 2013 10:52pm | Report
dafaq is dat
All Hail Queen Storm, Queen Storm, Queen Ragingstorm!
You may call me Miss Storm.

"I have returned to the battlefield of these men, and this time, there will be no more salvation,"~Ragingstorm

BB Coding Queen of Smitefire: In the Olden Days, at least.

Ragingstorm

Prominent (49)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by VultokoFredrik » December 22, 2013 1:56am | Report
This is one Hel of a character! Great job!

It is very different from other gods currently in the game, and he seems very interesting.

The passive: I like this idea very much. I really like the idea of him swinging a heavy sword.

Ability 1: I like the idea of this, although I have a question. How does this work excactly? Is it like Freya's 2? Or is the javelin summoned when he hits a melee basic attack? Or is he attacking both with his melee attack and javelin?

Ability 2: The only concern I have with this ability is that it seems to do a little too many things at once, but that's not that big of a deal. Although it also needs some balancing. It firstly applies a great slow that makes it easier for you to mark an enemy. Then that enemy is slowed even further, as well as taking 15% additional damage. AND if you have your passive up, you also gain lifesteal from that enemy! I say you should make the damage increase, slow and lifesteal scale per level of this ability.

Ability 3: Remove the damage immunity. Vulcan's backfire used to have this, and it sucked. You can dodge anything with this ability, be it Shards of Ice, Earthshaker or the Kraken. But other than that it's fine.

Ultimate: I like it. Nothing else to say, really.

Now, the real problems here are these:

He doesn't have a combo. Most gods have a combo that they can pull of to make the most out of themselves. For example: Ymir = Freeze > Glacial Strike > Wall > Ult. Tyr = Ult > 1 > 2 > 3 > 2 > 1.

He isn't very support-like. The only ability he has that accually helps his team is his second ability, the rest is pretty much for his own utility. Also, because he is a support-mage and not a support-tank, his ultimate will make him die in a matter of seconds.

Other than that, great job on making a first submission!

VultokoFredrik

Notable (2)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by UnknownPandr » December 22, 2013 10:14am | Report
Ragingstorm wrote:

dafaq is dat

It's what I implied. A god Idea contest, if you win you get gems for your idea.

UnknownPandr

Prominent (35)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Subzero008 » December 22, 2013 4:27pm | Report
Ragingstorm wrote:

Why do people feed birds?

Subzero008

Renowned (112)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Siinrajiaal » December 22, 2013 10:11pm | Report
Thanks VultokoFredrik for the review and critiques. As well as the compliments.

His 1 activates like Xbalanque's Branching Bolo, but creates a javelin every swing. So he's attacking with both like you said. It can technically hit two people at once because the javelin appears behind the enemy he attacks.

For his 2, I took your advice and scaled the slow and the passive bonus. I kept the 15% increase in damage because it's not very big but it will still make a difference.

Took your advice for his 3, and removed the damage immunity. I kept CC immunity because he's essentially becoming a spirit and passing through any bindings.

Now, to the Combo thing.

IT's true that he doesn't have a real combo, but his Ult will interact well with any teamfight, and his 3 can easily get him to safety. His one and his 2 are his combo.

Balder picks a target and activates his Bright Javelin [1]. He then initiates with his Quantum Of Light [3] to clear the distance. Balder attacks a nearby enemy while his javelns attack an enemy behind his target. With 9 charges stacked he uses his Radiant Mark [2] and slows a wide area. Balder lands a couple of attacks and then finishes his [2] by hitting a target with a targeter like Bakasura's consume minion ability. Then the enemy is marked and Balder activates his 4 and chases the enemy killing him, and then being slain by a teammate who then dies, and Balder respawns instantly.

He needs HP to be effective and of course I haven't tested him in game, as sad as that is lol.

Siinrajiaal

Notable (1)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Subzero008 » December 24, 2013 5:39pm | Report
I don't get his one and his passive. You do realize that, as a mage, Baldr will deal almost no damage on his basics, Javelin of light or no?

His Mark seems odd, considering weak it is early and how strong it is late. It needs an evening of the numbers, because a 50% slow for 5 seconds is absurdly overpowered.

His Quantum is an interesting idea, but you should lower the damage a bit. Along with the cooldowns. I don't really like long cooldowns for extra powerful effects.

His ultimate is messed up. Firstly, you now just gave no incentive to build tank, and instead to go suicide bomber. Secondly, please stop scaling everything. You already scaled damage, and an extra duration isn't really necessary, unless you're increasing it by tiny amounts, like with Kali's passive.

You'll face the same problem as Ne Zha's old passive: It wasn't very good, since a good player would never use it.

Subzero008

Renowned (112)
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

SMITEFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new god, or fine tune your favorite SMITE gods’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 SMITEFire | All Rights Reserved

} } } } }