Smitefire logo

Join the leading SMITE community.
Create and share God Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

The exclusion of deities from Catholic/Hebrew/Christian mythology

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on SmiteFire.

Forum » General Discussion » The exclusion of deities from Catholic/Hebrew/Christian mythology 40 posts - page 1 of 4
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by whitestuff » January 2, 2014 5:05pm | Report
Now I know you're probably thinking. "Of course they wouldn't make god, the holy spirit, Jesus Christ or even Lucifer/Satan. However, why not things like demons or archangels? I am sure no one would be offended if they made for e.g. Saint Michael or Beelzebub. I think it would be awesome to have the ability to play as Saint Michael. Anyway, these are just thoughts I wanted to get out there and hear other's opinion on the subject matter. If there is anything I am missing such as the reason they avoid making deities and such from hebrew, catholic, and christian mythos aside from just offending anyone then please feel free to write that out as well.

P.S- First post on any forum ever. May ya'll have mercy on my soul.

whitestuff

Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Mowen » January 2, 2014 5:48pm | Report
First of all, welcome to SmiteFire! :)

From what I've seen their main reasoning behind not including figures from Christianity / Judaism / Islam is that they don't provide good material for a combat-based game. I'll always recall it from this article where Todd Harris (CEO of Hi Rez) said:

Quoted:

From [the] perspective of a video game, the key Abrahamic figures--Adam, Noah, Moses, Jesus, Mohammed, are not that interesting in character design or gameplay. They are all human. They never overlapped or interacted with one another. They certainly never fought each other in dramatic fashion with unique abilities. They are all peaceful--at best they would be support characters

There are a few small mentions / characters that WOULD make decent characters as you said, but then what? Once you have a pantheon based on that religion it seems like you'd have to put in the main figures.

I'm sure it's also the smartest move from a business standpoint, as you said, to not offend anyone, but there are other reasons as well.

Mowen
<Production Coordinator>

Distinguished (57)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by whitestuff » January 2, 2014 7:31pm | Report
Alright, then lets change up this topic to something else (and please stop me if there is a thread with this topic already). What mythological deities would you like to see in Smite in the future?

whitestuff

Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Raventhor » January 2, 2014 7:35pm | Report
Are we asking for Pantheons or Deities?

I want Kronos, Zeus's Titan Father (or Saturn), Prometheus, Garm (the guard dog who kills Tyr in the end of time, who is owned by Hel), and Set.
-Demolibium

Raventhor
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Eminent (158)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by whitestuff » January 2, 2014 7:47pm | Report
It could be either/or doesn't matter. The only deity/pantheon that comes to mind is Kukulkan. He is a serpent that is partly responsible for the creation of humanity, but there seems to be a lot of speculation as to whether he is a deity or a pantheon, along with the role his played within Mayan culture.

whitestuff

Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Raventhor » January 2, 2014 7:48pm | Report
I want the Slavic pantheon BADLY. HORRIBLY.

It has SO MANY gods, including a three headed god of war.

Also, I forgot Jormungar. I want it.
-Demolibium

Raventhor
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Eminent (158)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by whitestuff » January 2, 2014 7:55pm | Report
I have to check that out, you make it sound like those dudes are bad ***es. I also just thought up of Medusa and Perseus. They would make pretty additions to the roster. Unless they make Perseus have his stun be medusa's head which in that case we can only have one xD.

whitestuff

Permalink | Quote | +Rep by SoapSuds » January 2, 2014 8:11pm | Report
Been wanting Set for a while now.
Comic Series Currently Reading:
  • Wonder Woman Vol 2
  • Green Lantern Vol 2
  • Infinity Gauntlet

SoapSuds

Prominent (43)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Leon Porter » January 2, 2014 8:21pm | Report
Meh, I really don't have any desire to see a Bible character, to be honest.
Besides that, it's more about how Christians, or Jewish people might get offended at seeing their beliefs in a video game. As an atheist, I could care less if the game went without such characters, and I feel that it already has enough characters in it for me. The only characters I need are the ones from Greek and Norse mythology.
Click the sig below, you can get ultimate godpack, and gems for free. PM me if you need any help with the site.

Leon Porter

Notable (2)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by MadDanny » January 2, 2014 9:37pm | Report
Kick the new kid!!
Jk
And Welcome.

For me. There are still a TON of Greek and Roman deities/Gods. As well as Egyptian, Mayan, Chinese etc. So really. After the release, Hi-Rez would be on full time with the Gods. We will have to wait and see what they will come up. I'm fine with whatever they make. I love the game as it is.
This is my signature. It is full of vowels and consonants.
In-game name: MadDany

Owner of: SmiteFireGaming clan. Open for our SmiteFire community members
Pm or look for our thread(I'd prefer if you'd go to our threadsince I don't online that often.)
A.K.A.The Mad Priest

MadDanny

Prominent (34)
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

SMITEFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new god, or fine tune your favorite SMITE gods’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 SMITEFire | All Rights Reserved

} } } } }