Smitefire logo

Join the leading SMITE community.
Create and share God Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Smite Sexuality Does NOT belong in a Video Game (Equailty for all I thought?)

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on SmiteFire.

Thread Locked

This thread has been locked by the moderators, you cannot reply to it.

1 2 3 4 5 >>
Forum
Forum » General Discussion » Smite Sexuality Does NOT belong in a Video Game (Equailty for all I thought?) 42 posts - page 1 of 5
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by ICEN » September 27, 2014 12:54am | Report
I assume this thread can not get deleted, since I am talking about a legit thing that Hi-Rez is adding into smite therefor I am talking about something in smite that is real, and I am not making a hate thread, but a thread for everyone to comment their thoughts on this change. I guess if someone starts to argue you can delete it though.

Okay, this is a non hate, non bias, perfectly logical topic. Regardless what sexuality you are, I think everyone should agree sexuality should not be brought into smite and other topics like religion/atheism should not be brought into smite. Smite is a video game we all come to play where we leave all of our issues aside and don't care what each other is or thinks, we leave it at the door when we play Video Games, Video Games is a place where these things simply should not be.

I want all of you strait and gay and anything else to comment your thoughts if you agree or disagree. I am literally going to talk strait up logical and for equal rights of everyone, and when I say everyone I mean everyone, and I will prove my point why sexuality should NOT be brought into Smite.

Smite is adding the "Gay Pride Flag" and that is the only sexual preference allowed to be shown and displayed as a flag/symbol/preference of who you are as a person.

Lets all start off on the same page so we can all agree hopefully. I would like to think its almost impossible not to agree with me but I guess we will see.

What is being equal? This means we should all be equal obviously and be able to do the same things and express the same views as the other person who is doing his/her own thing and expressing his/her own view.

That being said, I am sure most people agree that even if you don't agree with what a persons choice everyone should at least be equal to do and express what they want, nobody should be able to do something while another can't. That would be in the definition not equality.

So this is where I begin

First realize that by adding a Gay Pride Flag into smite, only one view is being allowed to be presented on screen and only your sexual preference is allowed to be seen and advertised. Gay people are happy obviously, because they can represent themselves. I am asking though, if you really are about equal rights can you not see how this is problematic? Only one group is getting to express their sexuality and confirm to others what sexuality they are, all in a video game which really has nothing to do with your sexuality.

Meanwhile, Transgendered people, Strait people, Bi people do not get to express what they are or their preference which is in terms not equality because only one group can express themselves while other groups are cut off from making the same advertisement.

So in terms of being equal, I am hoping that right off the back everyone can accept that, if only gay people get to say their sexual preference on a video game, that is far from equality for everyone.

This is why Hi-Rez does not really care about equal rights of Gays or any other group

Ask yourself, why is Hi-Rez adding this flag about sexuality? Why only the gay people? Maybe they are doing it because gay people are an oppressed group, they get called names sometimes, ect.

But the flaw is, while that is true, so are many other groups and some have had it as worst as gay people if not more. For example, if Hi-Rez true intent was to help these groups and let them speak where is the black power flag for African Americans?

African Americans, have at once time been slaves, treated worst then gay people, alot are on the same boat, alot are callled slurs like the N-Word, killed over skin color, beat up by police, ect.

Yet Hi-Rez does not care to add anything to show favor in getting the word out on that subject. Why is that? What about other groups as well? Why is it only gay people? What about the kids in school who are bullied and are not gay? Where is the support for them? What about the over weight kids who get made fun of in school and cry because of it?

Simply put, we can tell its not all about supporting people oppressed, its all about making that money, gay people should realize by now, n 2014 gay rights is a huge topic and anyone in favor of it is liked highly and will gain support of their own, they will gain support from gay people alone which is pretty huge in itself.

Imagine if only the American flag was allowed in Smite and no other flag was allowed, many of you would know that was not equality, you would know that Hi-Rez is being bias towards America because they only let you buy that flag only while other countries cannot express their own flag.

But most of us are pretty equal, because we all mainly have our country flags which we can all buy, thus we all have equality in terms of expressing where we come from, ect.

So why does Hi-Rez not have the same equality on sexual preference? Why is it, that gay people are the ones who can express themselves with a flag icon, while any other sexuality cannot? Is that not the opposite of equality when only one group gets to express their view/opinion or sexuality?

Mainly, I think sexuality has no place in Smite along with other argued topics

I personally think in my opinion, there should be nothing about sexuality in smite, and the only way that it can be fair is if everybody gets to show their own sexuality, but as of now, it seems only gay sexuality can be expressed to the point of having to see it on screen while other sexualities are not allowed to be expressed.

I would like to here from all of you.

I am strait, I do not have a problem with anyone's sexuality. I am just pointing out that, if we are all looking for equality well we certainly do not have it. At least I do not have equality to have a symbol saying I am not gay, any of you who are gay get a cool icon though to say exactly what your sexual preference is.

If any of you are truely for equaltiy, should we not ALL have the same rights?

Mainly, does anyone agree none of this should even be brought into smite, its going to do more bad than good, and I can explain why. I assume since gay people know what its like to want equality they should also understand why someone like myself would also want equality for everyone else, its the same equality you just got, expect that every other person lost their equality and only one group has it now.

XD

No arguments, I just want thoughts on what you think.

I think this is relevant because its a legit think Hi-Rez is adding.

I personally think all of this should not be in a Video Game though. I mean all sexualities and topics like this do NOT belong in a video game, but I see no reason why this thread should be deleted because after all, since Hi-Rez is adding sexuality into the game, it should be fine for me to speak on the thing they are ADDING INTO THE GAME.

ICEN

Prominent (41)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by MadDanny » September 27, 2014 12:58am | Report
So... where have you heard about this "Gay pride flag" that HiRez is going to "put" in Smite? I see no link sadly. :/
This is my signature. It is full of vowels and consonants.
In-game name: MadDany

Owner of: SmiteFireGaming clan. Open for our SmiteFire community members
Pm or look for our thread(I'd prefer if you'd go to our threadsince I don't online that often.)
A.K.A.The Mad Priest

MadDanny

Prominent (34)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by ICEN » September 27, 2014 1:01am | Report
MadDanny wrote:

So... where have you heard about this "Gay pride flag" that HiRez is going to "put" in Smite? I see no link sadly. :/
Reddit

ICEN

Prominent (41)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by MadDanny » September 27, 2014 1:08am | Report
Oh. An Icon. Well can I say its a "Marketing" strategy? I have no idea how big the gay gaming community is. But if they're putting that then it must be big... Some though will just buy and use it as a joke.

Pm or look for our thread(I'd prefer if you'd go to our threadsince I don't online that often.)
A.K.A.The Mad Priest

MadDanny

Prominent (34)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by ICEN » September 27, 2014 1:20am | Report
MadDanny wrote:

Oh. An Icon. Well can I say its a "Marketing" strategy? I have no idea how big the gay gaming community is. But if they're putting that then it must be big... Some though will just buy and use it as a joke.
Dude, they are going to make so much money off of it, they know what they are doing they are not dumb.

The reason why its random is because I'm sitting here thinking....

Thor, Ward Skins, Hebo new Skin, updates, patches, server issues... Gay pride Icon... Wait What???

Haha, no seriously start from when I typed Thor and ask yourself how the hell Gay pride snuck its way into Smite.

Its just for the sole fact that its random and has nothing to do with Smite. I mean if it had something to do with smite it would make sense but it literally does not have even .0001% anything to do with Smite.

If they want to add something like that, make a god that was gay? I don't even know if that exist or not, but at least it would make more sense being that it would be a god which is what Smite is about. I never seen Smite as a game based on sexual things, what food you eat, what color your skin is, whats next, what gang are you in? LOL.

I know for a fact it has nothing to do with Smite because anything you can think of will only prove why Hi-Rez didn't add anything else that would have ment the same thing.

ICEN

Prominent (41)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by MadDanny » September 27, 2014 1:25am | Report
Well. So many skins barely has anything to do with the "Game Lore"

A.K.A.The Mad Priest

MadDanny

Prominent (34)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by FerrumSlash » September 27, 2014 1:47am | Report
I actually see no problem with them adding a Gay Pride flag to Smite.

I'm speaking here as a 17-year-old Indonesian heterosexual guy who is addicted and infatuated with fictional females.

Now, i can just complain to Hi-Rez "Where's my Indonesian flag?" (even though i could just use the Monaco flag), or "How can i represent my interest in Anime chicks with cat ears in Smite?", but i'm not going to do that. Why? Because i don't feel the need to represent my interests/orientation/nationality in Smite.

Same is with the Gay Pride flag. I do not refute the fact that not all people are like me, and they wish to have something that represents themselves. This is not wrong, and HiRez happens to give them that. Even then, not all homosexuals want to represent their sexuality in Smite. They can use the icon and be recognized as gay, or they choose not to.

Even then, the flag would just let homophobes bash on more homosexual gamers. Homosexuals should recognize this fact, too, and it's up to them whether to use that flag icon as a representation or not. If they want to add a Jolly Roger icon on Smite, then by all means HiRez can do it. Not if they decide to put something like a Swastika/Hakenkreuz or KKK in stylized writing.

While it may be partly true that sexuality does not belong in gaming, it is a different thing on how people want themselves to be represented.
Spoiler: Click to view

FerrumSlash
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (70)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by ICEN » September 27, 2014 1:57am | Report
What if after this they put in Black Power icon.

?

Oh and ya, I already said its a bad idea because gay people are about to get bashed real hard if they have that icon. Which is kind of ironic...

Because I read alot of things on reddict and like 90% of the gay people on their get extremely upset over words to the point they are asking for bans, ect.

The reason why the icon is a dumb idea, is because if you are gay and one of those gay people who get upset over words easily you are now a target to be called names and targets for whispers 24/7. In fact people will probably just troll you and make fun of you for the icon alone.

The other reason why its a epic fail is because teams are going to be arguing over opinions ROFL.

Its a win in terms of them about to make money, Its a win in terms of tricking probably majority of the gay community to play their game making them think they are all about supporting them when its really about the money and to help their game grow....

However its a epic fail on everything else, you are now targeted for attacks, get prepared for more toxic players/teams, expect more whispers this time calling you worst slurs, expect more trolling.

Expect more trolls who buy the icon and are not even gay but using the icon to make fun of being gay while they are not gay, and most of all the arguments will come.

Overall, Sexuality does not belong in a video game other than on the gods where they are suppose to be. They are taking fiction and mixing real life into the mix, that is the problem.
Nobody plays games so we can talk about who we want to have sex with... at least I don't think XD.

ICEN

Prominent (41)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by SoapSuds » September 27, 2014 2:33am | Report
You make some good points.

This is coming from a heterosexual adult male, so I can't say I'm insanely knowledgeable about everything on this topic. I do support gay rights, and it is a hot topic these days in the US and other countries as well. I think that while it's obviously a gay pride flag, the whole idea is more than just sexual orientation. Like you said, it's about equal rights and supporting everyone having equal rights.

However, I definitely agree with some of the things you say to an extent. I've thought numerous times in the past that it was odd that for a movement that's all about equality, there seems to be a lot of focus on the differences. For example, whenever an athlete comes out as homosexual, there's always big news about it. The media likes to focus in a ton on that particular person's sexuality, while most of us sitting at home don't really care whether he's homosexual or not, just if the guy can play the sport well. If a guy is gay, good for him, but again, if the guy like males or females doesn't phase me much because, to be completely honest, I just don't care. I really don't. Not saying this in a negative sense, but when it comes down to it, I don't care if you like people of the same or opposite sex because it doesn't affect much of who that person is. These are some of the thoughts I've had over the years on the topic.

I still stand by most of what I said in the above paragraph, but there is also good reason to focus in on the issue. The fact that it's still an issue is the good reason. Equal rights for homosexuals is a topic that still needs to be kept alive because the sad truth is, homosexuals don't have equal rights. So while it's true at times I think the focus on a person(s) sexuality is a bit much because, outside of the equality issues going on, it's really something I could care less about, but it's also something that still needs to be fresh in peoples' minds.

Unfortunately, in the US and many other countries, you're not going to sway a lot of peoples' opinions on the issue. For whatever reasons they state, be it religion or them believing it's weird, most people seem pretty set in never changing their opinions on the matter. It's going to take a long time for people to realize that they care way too much about who other people are attracted to, and that their idea of the "sanctity of marriage" is a very flawed one, especially considering a large percentage of heterosexual marriages end in divorce. But, people aren't going to change for a long time. Again, I'm not homosexual, but I do know a little of what it's like to have people judge you based on something so minuscule. I'm an atheist and have been an atheist for a very long time now, and ever since I became an atheist in middle school, I've had people telling me I'm evil or I have no soul or I have no morals and **** like that.

So, honestly, I don't have a problem with the icon being in-game. Yeah, stating your sexual orientation in a game is highly unnecessary, but unfortunately, the icon represents a lot more than just stating your sexual orientation. The focus on gay pride is mostly because of the fact that homosexuals are not treated equally. It would be nice if this was a non-issue and that homosexuals had equal rights and that they weren't treated differently in this way, but sadly, that's not how life is.
Comic Series Currently Reading:
  • Wonder Woman Vol 2
  • Green Lantern Vol 2
  • Infinity Gauntlet

SoapSuds

Prominent (43)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Firraria » September 27, 2014 3:10am | Report
As an openly gay man, no, I won't be buying this. It sounds like a ploy to bring in more money, to be honest. That's not a bad thing, they're still spreading awareness about gay rights, and there's nothing inherently wrong with wanting to get money, but I just don't feel that it's necessary to bring things like this into the gaming world, especially in an already-toxic environment like Smite, where players latch onto whatever they can to insult one another. It just seems kind of misplaced.
If anything, I think it will bring more hatred towards gay people in the game. As if it's not enough that people constantly say "***" or "******," using this gay pride icon will open yourself up even more to these kinds of attacks.

Firraria
<Skullcracker>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (58)
View My Blog
1 2 3 4 5 >>
Forum

SMITEFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new god, or fine tune your favorite SMITE gods’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 SMITEFire | All Rights Reserved

} } } } }