Smitefire logo

Join the leading SMITE community.
Create and share God Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

is it possible to make the smiteplayers "nicer"?

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on SmiteFire.

Forum » General Discussion » is it possible to make the smiteplayers "nicer"? 38 posts - page 1 of 4
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by All4Games » April 13, 2014 6:50am | Report
i was watching drybear's video named "story of spear"

while watching it i realised a few things. the community can be awefull, i thought about that a bit more and realised i was wrong. the community is awesome, however the players are pieces of toxic **** that should not reproduce.

what i realised is that a community are the people who really care about the game. the players are often seen as part of a community however this is wrong, the community is part of the players. the community is not the people who represent a game, they are the people who try to show that not all of the player base is trash to redeem the players of the game to the outside world.

the players have a few groups worked in along side the community group. the casuals: the people who play the game every now and then with out really showing emotion over it (thing of it as they see a game as a bag of chips and just eat it without caring to much)

the competitive's:they don't play just for fun, they play because they want to get better. they follow the meta, tournements and streams on the dot in an atempt to become the best.

now we delve into the darker groups who bring what we know as toxic to the game.

the hardcore's: a group that have a thin border with the competitive players as they to want to be the best, however they want to win at any cost, this means they are willing to try as hard as possible but unlike the competitive's if they don't do good or win they will often rage and seek some one or thing to direct anger on. this is where the toxic begins. anger

the blamer's: they are the people who we know will never see them selfs do anything wrong, they would have done what we did better in every situation according to them, they have the awenser to everything but only in heignsight, if they die it can not possibly have been their fault according to them and will let you know that. they will rage if you make the tinyiest of mistake's.
this player can be found in any gamemode so there is nowhere safe.

the sadists: as seen in drybears video. a form of troll who wants nothing more then to ruin your expierince at any cost, they target anyone but if they see someone well known in the community they attack focus them. they want to laugh at any cost.

the just evil: a small group who just want to make everyone feel terrible, no requirements no limits.

you also have the trolls who try to get laughs for everyone however this is not completely placeable.

everyone is part of more then one group in some way. however some are not part of any of the good groups at all. my question to you all: how do we fix that?

there is just such a large amount of players who are purely there for toxic that it makes it hard to get full enjoyment from the game.
never forget dawngate and never forgive EA. Freia will hunt them for eternity.

All4Games

Distinguished (54)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by WatchfulShadow » April 13, 2014 7:17am | Report
Every community has those players, they'll always be there and you can't change them. I guess my first real experience was the CoD community, back in MW2 days. You had the hackers which ruined an awesome online (one of my favourite online games ever) and made it pretty much unplayabale, then you had almost every player using a sniper and trying to jump off rooftops to get that 'epicz 1337 quickscope of doom and glory', even in objective based modes, then of course the typical 'bad attitude, out to annoy everyone' player.

Then there's the Mortal Kombat community, which I think very few, if any, on this site will know or have been a part of. There was the online side that was 90% ****bag, insulting for no reason or taking advantage of the terrible, terrible online and trying to make themselves seem like they are actually good at the game, then why you try to explain that they aren't, you'll get insulted, called a whiner/loser etc etc. Then there's the online egos etc etc.
On the other side is the offline scene, which is filled with so many awesome guys that just want to play, have fun and improve at the game.

Those were my main communities I've been a part of. I think anonymity is a huge part of the problem. You'll find the odd person that is a genuinely cool guy or gal and just wants to have fun with the game and with others. Overall I'd say the Smite com is pretty awesome, with the cool guy far outweighing the dumbass.

So far in Smite, the players that annoy me the most are those that don't know certain things, but also don't listen when you try to help. I don't mind if someone is new and is still learning, that's awesome and I'll help 100% of the time. But if you do something wrong, then don't listen to what you should have done instead and just insult or ignore me, then don't bother playing a TEAM game.

WatchfulShadow

Remarkable (6)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by All4Games » April 13, 2014 9:00am | Report
but like i said the people im talking about are for the most not part of the community. they are part of the player base.

All4Games

Distinguished (54)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Keari » April 13, 2014 10:49am | Report
I have a close friend that I play smite together with, in rl he's a really decent guy that wouldn't say a bad thing to a stranger but damn in a game when someone makes a mistake, he becomes furious. His 2 accounts got banned, his 3rd is on its way to suspension aswell, yet he still keeps flaming every single match. So I don't think strict rules/bans will help.

The only reason people act so mindless when talking to other players, is mainly because the possibility they are gonna be in a game together again is not high, even then the chances that they will remember each other is near impossible. The only real community I was in was the WoW community, and since cross-realm looking for groups were introduced, the amount of toxicity increased.

The only real solution I could suggest is this: Don't group us up with people that we have on our block-mute list, because there's no reason for someone to block another person other than being complete ****-heads, right?

Keari

Notable (1)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Pizzarugi » April 13, 2014 12:12pm | Report

Every community has those players, they'll always be there and you can't change them.

I find that to be a load of bull. Compared to any other game anywhere, MOBAs attract the most toxic players of all. I've played a lot of PvP focused games and I've seen more people laugh, chat it up, and have a good time among friends and enemies alike than I've ever seen in LoL or Smite.

I think the reason behind the toxicity is mostly to do with the concept of e-sports being in the game. Like with the toxic community, MOBAs are also very prone to having tournament concepts involved. When you add e-sports to a game, you truely attract the worst people to your game, the ones that treat the meta like a way of living. Almost everyone in a MOBA are more likely keen on the idea of forming a professional team to go for the money, rather than playing the game and having fun.

In fact, the only people who actually play MOBAs to have fun are considered the cancer of the community and are often badmouthed because they don't conform to tryhard expectations.
IGN: Pizzarugi (Add me if you like joust, assault, siege or arena)
Total Diamonds: 9 (Latest: Ymir, Cabrakan, Bellona)
Favorite Gods: Ah Muzen Cab, Bastet, Loki
Favorite Roles: Carry, Assassin
Least Favorite Roles: Tank

Looking to be great at laning as Ah Muzen Cab? Check out this guide! It was the runner up for best hunter guide in the season 2 contest.

Pizzarugi

Remarkable (8)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Pentargonite » April 13, 2014 12:30pm | Report
Pizzarugi wrote:

I find that to be a load of bull. Compared to any other game anywhere, MOBAs attract the most toxic players of all. I've played a lot of PvP focused games and I've seen more people laugh, chat it up, and have a good time among friends and enemies alike than I've ever seen in LoL or Smite.

I think the reason behind the toxicity is mostly to do with the concept of e-sports being in the game. Like with the toxic community, MOBAs are also very prone to having tournament concepts involved. When you add e-sports to a game, you truely attract the worst people to your game, the ones that treat the meta like a way of living. Almost everyone in a MOBA are more likely keen on the idea of forming a professional team to go for the money, rather than playing the game and having fun.

In fact, the only people who actually play MOBAs to have fun are considered the cancer of the community and are often badmouthed because they don't conform to tryhard expectations.

I think this isn't true. A lot of times me and my team laugh about the mistakes the enemy makes, and have a good time. Ofc sometimes there are those players, but I rarely see them anymore...

Pentargonite

Distinguished (62)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Firraria » April 13, 2014 2:33pm | Report
Whenever I play, I'm the person who tries to be friends with everybody and lighten the mood to avoid toxicity. Even if someone is being an ***hat, I still try to be nice.
I think that how people act in-game is also somewhat determined by what goes down in the pre-game God selection lobby.
Usually, I just try to make sure everyone has a good time right off the bat, and then we end up having fun through the whole game. That's how I got my awesome clan, by basically just trying to give everyone a good time.

Firraria
<Skullcracker>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (58)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by All4Games » April 13, 2014 2:41pm | Report
But how do we change the menality? Thats the question.

All4Games

Distinguished (54)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Subzero008 » April 13, 2014 2:54pm | Report
There's always toxicity in MOBAs.

I propose deterrence: Make an actual, honest-to-God, official list of what is harassment and what is not, and make Smite put it on their client somewhere, so we can all see it. I'm sick of the post-lobby arguments saying "lol no that isnt harass" or "stfu noob" or whatnot. No one seems to take harassment reports seriously.

Subzero008

Renowned (112)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by WatchfulShadow » April 13, 2014 7:34pm | Report
Pizzarugi wrote:

I find that to be a load of bull.

Then you're being ignorant. (:

WatchfulShadow

Remarkable (6)

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

SMITEFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new god, or fine tune your favorite SMITE gods’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 SMITEFire | All Rights Reserved

} } } } }