Smitefire logo

Join the leading SMITE community.
Create and share God Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Is goodwill good for nothing?

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on SmiteFire.

Forum » General Discussion » Is goodwill good for nothing? 15 posts - page 1 of 2
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Qhival » November 11, 2013 3:44pm | Report
I always have 100% goodwill, unless a lobby bugs gets me. When the lobby bug knocks me down to 0% I notice just as many rage-quitters and queue dodgers as when i'm at 100% goodwill. I'm not just talking about doomed games... Even when my team is winning I constantly see people ragequit just because they are doing badly. I've been level 30 for ages, so it's not because of new players.

Does goodwill do anything at all? How about reporting? If not, wouldn't getting it working help matchmaking tremendously? People would rage-quit less if they knew they would get matched up with more terrible people.

Qhival

Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Sirsir94 » November 11, 2013 4:09pm | Report
Goodwill prevents you from entering ranked games at a certain threshold (30-50% i think).
PENTAS: Loki
Quadras: Cupid, Artemis, Loki, Ah Muzen Cab

Sirsir94

Remarkable (6)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Piederman » November 11, 2013 5:49pm | Report
There are indeed several things that could be done to improve how the goodwill system works. I actually read a thread about this a month ago or so where some people had come up with some ideas on how to improve the goodwill system, the thread can be found here.

I personally would love to see them adding these changes to the game. Not only would it decrease the amount of BM in both ranked and normal, but also lowering the amount of leavers as well as rewarding players who knows how to behave properly.

Piederman

Prominent (39)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Qhival » November 11, 2013 5:58pm | Report
Sirsir94 wrote:

Goodwill prevents you from entering ranked games at a certain threshold (30-50% i think).

oh, I had no idea it did that.

honestly, I think it should be simple. match up people with 100% goodwill, throw everyone else with terrible goodwill in a separate queue. Perhaps lock the normal queue completely until they reach a certain threshold. add a redemption tab or something lol.

getting lobby bugs would suck though. But I only get smacked with a goodwill penalty maybe once a month from that, usually soon after a patch.

they should allow one free pass (no goodwill penalty on leaving/ dc/ lobby leave etc) every 100 hours or so.

Qhival

Permalink | Quote | +Rep by TormentedTurnip » November 11, 2013 6:02pm | Report
I think the fact that circumstances beyond our control, such as the Internet dying on us, make it hard to put penalties on low goodwill, such as your suggested queue separation. I'm all for better rewards for having longstanding 100% goodwill, but I am against punishing low goodwill.

Edit: I see your edit, but extenuating circumstances can happen more often than simply once every 100 hours, and so all free passes would do is allow the people who leave matches forgiveness.

TormentedTurnip
<Retired Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Esteemed (96)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Qhival » November 11, 2013 6:42pm | Report
if someone has an internet problem more often than than once every 4 days (96 hours) they should probably get a new ISP. If they are stuck with a terrible ISP, they really should face the fact that they shouldnt be playing games that are so focused on teamplay.

My ISP is time warner... they are notorious for having horrible support when you have issues... asking you if you tried turning it off and back on aagain LOL. but even so, I still only have an issue with them once a month at the most.

Qhival

Permalink | Quote | +Rep by TormentedTurnip » November 11, 2013 6:54pm | Report
Internet problems are just of example, but circumstances such as hospitalized family members, children being children, getting called into work, etc. (also including cats being on fire) all happen. Hell, as a personal example, a house just four houses down from mine caught fire last week. These things don't happen often, yes, but they happen - and a system that punishes rather than rewards, while also giving free passes, will only serve to harm regular players and be abused by the others.

TormentedTurnip
<Retired Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Esteemed (96)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Qhival » November 11, 2013 7:22pm | Report
I guess my life is just boring lmao

Qhival

Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Creationism » November 12, 2013 11:16am | Report
I think 100% good will should have a lot of rewards. Keeps you from quitting bad games, etc.

The rewards should be prioritized as so
1) Extra favor. 1-2 extra favor per goodwill percent should happen, so that at max goodwill playing the game for more than daily victories become worth it.

2) Getting matched with people who have goodwill within 10-20% of yours. Seperates trolls from nice players. In addition to this though, lots of reports will lower your goodwill.

3) Various small perks that have no effect in game, but on profile, maybe a small gem reward for keeping max goodwill for a week (like 25 gems, maybe 10-15). Perhaps you get a star beside your name in lobby to show players that you keep goodwill up and are less likely to quit.

Creationism

Notable (4)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by dacoqrs » November 12, 2013 12:37pm | Report
Like TT said, punishments for low goodwill are hard to do, because of unexpected situations. I don't think it's fair to ban someone because their internet died on them. (Yes, I think in LoL if you leave some many matches you get banned)

However, if we have stronger rewards and incentives for a higher goodwill, then it will make sure that trolls won't drop out so quickly, but yet people who get DC'ed won't be banned or anything insane.
Thanks to Ferrum for making the sig pic! He's beast af people.
IGN: BestJanusNA
What I'm listening to right now: Derp -Bassjackers

dacoqrs

Prominent (40)
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

SMITEFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new god, or fine tune your favorite SMITE gods’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 SMITEFire | All Rights Reserved

} } } } }