Smitefire logo

Join the leading SMITE community.
Create and share God Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Fixing Ares

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on SmiteFire.

Forum » General Discussion » Fixing Ares 20 posts - page 1 of 2
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Subzero008 » November 23, 2013 6:24pm | Report
I think many would agree that Ares is one of the worst tanks in the game, regarding Conquest. What would be a good way to fix with without making Ares in Arena completely overpowered?

Subzero008

Renowned (112)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Subzero008 » November 23, 2013 6:26pm | Report
Make his flames deal doubled percent damage against minions. It would help his pushing a bit.

Alternatively, give his chains a maximum length, where enemy gods can no longer move. So he could drag them. That might be way OP though.

Subzero008

Renowned (112)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Phil725 » November 23, 2013 7:06pm | Report
I agree with giving him more damage against minions, but Ares is viable right now as a tank, it's not like he's Vulcan. People don't like playing him because he's so boom or bust with his chains, but if you're hitting them, he's potent in lane and a really good initiator/annoyance late game. We just need more tanks in general.

My preference with Ares would be a complete rework into a bad *** bruiser, Guan Yu style. You know, let the god of war actually use his sword to hit people?

Phil725

Remarkable (5)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by MadDanny » November 23, 2013 7:09pm | Report
Ya. Make him a warrior rather than a tank.
This is my signature. It is full of vowels and consonants.
In-game name: MadDany

Owner of: SmiteFireGaming clan. Open for our SmiteFire community members
Pm or look for our thread(I'd prefer if you'd go to our threadsince I don't online that often.)
A.K.A.The Mad Priest

MadDanny

Prominent (34)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Subzero008 » November 23, 2013 7:13pm | Report
Argh...on one hand, I'd prefer him to be a tank (since we have so few of them now), but on the other hand, I'd like to see his sword not slap people like a dead fish.

Maybe change his passive? The magical power gained from his passive exclusively applies to basic attacks? Doubled against gods, a la Taric?

Subzero008

Renowned (112)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Vaeldyn » November 24, 2013 2:02am | Report
Make him bruiser, add more tanks. We really lack of tanks and I only see 80% Athena and 18% Sobek... We need a new tank despretley!!

Vaeldyn

Notable (4)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Silv3rX » November 24, 2013 2:13am | Report
Make his chains like the Leblanc chain. It stuns after a short period of time.

Quoted:
LeBlanc flings illusionary chains towards a target location. If it hits an enemy unit, it will deal 40 / 65 / 90 / 115 / 140 (+50% of ability power) initial magic damage and slow their movement speed by 25%. If the target remains shackled for 1.5 seconds, the target takes 40 / 65 / 90 / 115 / 140 (+50% of ability power) additional magic damage and is unable to move for 1.5 seconds.
The Moba King

Silv3rX
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (53)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Zanestorm » November 24, 2013 3:59am | Report
He's a tank not a pusher. He is excellent at his role and fantastic for harassing players. When it gets to the roaming and team fight stages of conquest Ares can literally win you the game. He's weak in lane because he is a tank. That is what a tank is meant to be [exception, Vulcan.] You can build him offensively to handle minions easier, but I really don't think he needs any buff to clear minions. You shouldn't be solo laning as ares, so you should let your partner handle the minions while you focus on securing kills. Not every God has to be a good pusher.

sidenote: LOL at people saying "we need more tanks, make Ares a bruiser." What kind of logic is that?

Zanestorm

Remarkable (9)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Subzero008 » November 24, 2013 4:18am | Report
Zanestorm wrote:

He's a tank not a pusher. He is excellent at his role and fantastic for harassing players. When it gets to the roaming and team fight stages of conquest Ares can literally win you the game. He's weak in lane because he is a tank. That is what a tank is meant to be [exception, Vulcan.] You can build him offensively to handle minions easier, but I really don't think he needs any buff to clear minions. You shouldn't be solo laning as ares, so you should let your partner handle the minions while you focus on securing kills. Not every God has to be a good pusher.

sidenote: LOL at people saying "we need more tanks, make Ares a bruiser." What kind of logic is that?

...you must be new. So far, all of your posts seem to suggest someone who has just gotten into Smite.

Ares is not good at his role. He is not a good tank. What is a good tank?

A tank needs to A. Protect his teammates, B. Be the initiator or have lots of CC, and C. Support, aka contribute without damage.

A is simple. A is otherwise known as peeling enemies off of your carry. Ares has his soft CC chains and his fire. Literally, that's it. Look at every other tank. Ymir has his stun and wall, Athena has her taunt, Sobek has his pull, Bacchus has his stun, Hades can silence and fear, and Vulcan can stun. The others, Odin and Vamana, are typically bruisers. Ares cannot peel.

B is also simple. He has no ability to initiate other than Blink + his ultimate. Which sucks, since his ultimate has a 90 second cooldown, while Ymir's stun has a 18 second cooldown. And he lacks CC as well, his chains are all single target and his ultimate is easily counterable.

C is where he succeeds and fails. Ares' version of support IS damage, but that doesn't always work. For instance, if your carry is falling behind and needs a kill, you will often take it by accident. Also, his lack of peeling, poking, or buffing/healing makes him a poor supporter. He's not Ymir, who can turn an enemy's mistake into a fatal one. He's not Hades, who can heal his carry. He's not Athena, who is like Ymir and Sobek combined with mobility.

He is underwhelming in teamfights due to the fact that his main teamfight skill, his ultimate, is worthless with a purchase of beads.

My problem is not with his lane presence. I'm suggesting he needs waveclear because his waveclear is the worst among tanks, and he needs a niche to survive in. If he cannot have the CC role, then give him the push or clearing role.

Sure, at low level play, you can destroy with him, but when you're facing smart players who know to buy beads, he sucks.

Subzero008

Renowned (112)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Silv3rX » November 24, 2013 4:28am | Report
Zanestorm wrote:

What you are saying is ******** and probably applies to Arena, but definitly not to conquest. You said yourself that you do not play much of conquest.. Means that you do not play much of a Moba. And Ares definitly lacks the ability of being a decent tank in Moba terms.
The Moba King

Silv3rX
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (53)
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

SMITEFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new god, or fine tune your favorite SMITE gods’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 SMITEFire | All Rights Reserved

} } } } }