Smitefire logo

Join the leading SMITE community.
Create and share God Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

A Rant about Health

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on SmiteFire.

Forum » General Discussion » A Rant about Health 11 posts - page 1 of 2
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Subzero008 » November 22, 2013 12:09am | Report
It [EXPLETIVE]ing sucks!

Seriously, what the [EXPLETIVE]?

There are only a few items in this game which provide decent amounts of health, in the 300-500 range.

The point of health, as I understand it, is to provide a cheap source of universal and moderate tankiness. So the naturally underfarmed Ymir won't get slaughtered by mid Poseidon when all he has is a Reinforced Greaves, Watcher's Gift, and two ranks of Mystical Mark.

Unfortunately, this is not the case. Health is often underwhelming and useless. There are a few exceptions, like Sovereignty and Ethereal Staff and Warlock's Sash, but for the most part, it's [EXPLETIVE]ing useless.

Seriously, the amounts they give you are tiny! What the [EXPLETIVE] are you supposed to do with the extra 150 health from Brawler's Beat Stick? What kind of mage will find the paltry 250 health from Gem of Isolation* useful?

[EXPLETIVE]. [EXPLETIVE] [EXPLETIVE] [EXPLETIVE]ing [EXPLETIVE]. [EXPLETIVE] [EXPLETIVE][EXPLETIVE] [EXPLETIVE] Republican [EXPLETIVE] [EXPLETIVE] [EXPLETIVE] mom! [EXPLETIVE] [EXPLETIVE] [EXPLETIVE] bucket of [EXPLETIVE] [EXPLETIVE] [EXPLETIVE]! [EXPLETIVE]!

*Please, HiRez, make this a support item for the poor support/tanks who lack CC, like its sister, Frostbound Hammer. It would nerf the gods who rely on it too much, and buff gods like Hades and support Chang'e. Seriously, why does this item have 70 magical power, when Frostbound Hammer has 25 physical power?

Now, League of Legends, they have it right. Stacking health is not doomed to failure. It is reasonably effective at it's job**, and do you know what the difference is?

They have more of it (and it costs less). In general, if a champion in LoL gets a health item, it has way more health than something from Smite. Warmog's Armor gives a mighty 1000 health!

My proposed change is simple***. Just multiple all health gained from items by 1.5, rounding to multiples of 50. Give the underfarmed Ymir a fighting chance.

**Partly because of their runes/masteries system and their defense shred items are less effective and less universal, but that's going off topic.

***Not really. Balancing stuff is a [EXPLETIVE]. Try giving a seemingly balanced +1 flaming homebrewed rapier to your players, and they will find ways to make you tear your hair out.

Why should you care?

Because you, one day, might play support. You might require some form of defense. You decide to buy health from a Sovereignty, hoping that it would help you with your lack of one kind of protections. You pick it, and you are promptly slaughtered by the jungling Freya who shoves her sword right through the gap in your armor, UP YOUR ANUS!

Subzero008

Renowned (112)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by MadDanny » November 22, 2013 12:35am | Report
Well this is still beta. They still have A LOT of time to put more items and Gods in it or to edit the current ones. To the point that everyone has what they need. You can't compare Smite with the COMPLETE Mobas of today. THIS is BETA. Don't rush them. You can complain once it's at it's full release.
This is my signature. It is full of vowels and consonants.
In-game name: MadDany

Owner of: SmiteFireGaming clan. Open for our SmiteFire community members
Pm or look for our thread(I'd prefer if you'd go to our threadsince I don't online that often.)
A.K.A.The Mad Priest

MadDanny

Prominent (34)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by BestMinionEver » November 22, 2013 12:52am | Report
You have to think about it compared to over all health too though. In lol the base health per lvl is way higher than in Smite. So The health from items in smite has to be lower. But I do agree that some items needs more health.

But when it comes to items like soul eater and gem of isolation they are huuuuge for carries, combined with items like void stone and voidblade the extra health makes you very tanky compared to going without it :p
IGN: Marki

Jungle & Support main.

Casually tryharding ranked now and again.

Make fun of my bad plays on Twitch ;)
Is only pixels, why you haf to be mad?

BestMinionEver
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (69)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by ICEN » November 22, 2013 1:38am | Report
Hp is not useless, you forgot a few things.
Adding health to the game allows you to do more things.

- You can now make gods that do %hp attacks or have things that deal with %hp
- also hp adds bonus tankyness because health is both magical and physical defense in a way
- so when you get health you are getting two defenses just a weaker form but its still a bonus to the defensive item you already bought!

The main things is because it gives you options to do things
for example I could create a god that does 200 extra damage for hitting a god that has less than 1000hp.

Of course thats op but my point was by adding hp you add more ways too do things, more items you can throw in the game, more creative skills.

Doesn't thanatos have a hp% based 1?

Most of all with no health defense does not matter unless you have so much defense that you literally negate all damage taken.

Imagine health and defense like being naked and the clothes you wear.
Your defense would be the clothes over your body and the health would be under your clothes aka your naked body.
Your health is your life, in order to kill you or take away your life you have to get through your defense.

Actually picture it like this
You have no clothes on then get stabbed with a knife, that effects your real life health (hp)
now if you wear a carpet and get stabbed the knife stops shorter in your body and does less damage to your health making you live longer since you did less damage to your real life health. Defense is not a real life health it just protects you, your defense can't die only your health can. The more carpets you stack up the less the knife effects or gets to your health.

So the point is while your health is your main life force, when you get extra health you are increases your real life health if they reach it. Its just a bonus.

The difference is this.
With no health and alot of defense you will die in one attack if the damage is not negated by 100%
With alot of health and no defense you can survive an attack assuming it doesn't do as much damage as you have health.

So what I am saying is, defense only helps if you have health to begin with, the more hp you have the more actual life you have.

ICEN

Prominent (41)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Subzero008 » November 22, 2013 2:04am | Report
ICEN wrote:

Hp is not useless, you forgot a few things.
Adding health to the game allows you to do more things.

- You can now make gods that do %hp attacks or have things that deal with %hp
- also hp adds bonus tankyness because health is both magical and physical defense in a way
- so when you get health you are getting two defenses just a weaker form but its still a bonus to the defensive item you already bought!

The main things is because it gives you options to do things
for example I could create a god that does 200 extra damage for hitting a god that has less than 1000hp.

Of course thats op but my point was by adding hp you add more ways too do things, more items you can throw in the game, more creative skills.

Doesn't thanatos have a hp% based 1?

Most of all with no health defense does not matter unless you have so much defense that you literally negate all damage taken.

Imagine health and defense like being naked and the clothes you wear.
Your defense would be the clothes over your body and the health would be under your clothes aka your naked body.
Your health is your life, in order to kill you or take away your life you have to get through your defense.

Actually picture it like this
You have no clothes on then get stabbed with a knife, that effects your real life health (hp)
now if you wear a carpet and get stabbed the knife stops shorter in your body and does less damage to your health making you live longer since you did less damage to your real life health. Defense is not a real life health it just protects you, your defense can't die only your health can. The more carpets you stack up the less the knife effects or gets to your health.

So the point is while your health is your main life force, when you get extra health you are increases your real life health if they reach it. Its just a bonus.

The difference is this.
With no health and alot of defense you will die in one attack if the damage is not negated by 100%
With alot of health and no defense you can survive an attack assuming it doesn't do as much damage as you have health.

So what I am saying is, defense only helps if you have health to begin with, the more hp you have the more actual life you have.

Nope. Health % based damage is based on your OPPONENT'S health.

So in other words, getting health makes their attacks stronger. Which is bad. For you. The player.

Also, while getting both protections and health is nice, you would never even consider health as a defense, and when given the choice between health and protection, most players would pick protections.

Subzero008

Renowned (112)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Subzero008 » November 22, 2013 2:09am | Report

You have to think about it compared to over all health too though. In lol the base health per lvl is way higher than in Smite. So The health from items in smite has to be lower. But I do agree that some items needs more health.

But when it comes to items like soul eater and gem of isolation they are huuuuge for carries, combined with items like void stone and voidblade the extra health makes you very tanky compared to going without it :p

Wait...base health in LoL is higher, so health from items must be higher? I don't really think that makes sense. I mean, if you were talking about overall base damage vs effective health and the amount of defensive items, I would understand, but I don't think base health has a correlation with health from items.

I'll have to test your Soul Eater + Void Blade thing, but I hope it doesn't dramatically decrease damage.

Subzero008

Renowned (112)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by ICEN » November 22, 2013 5:58am | Report
Subzero008 wrote:

Nope. Health % based damage is based on your OPPONENT'S health.

So in other words, getting health makes their attacks stronger. Which is bad. For you. The player.

Also, while getting both protections and health is nice, you would never even consider health as a defense, and when given the choice between health and protection, most players would pick protections.
There are gods that say things like, blah blah blah gains %2 of max hp as blah blah blah, therefor health would make a certain thing "better"

and health is only better when you have no health.
For example would you rather have 1 health item and 1 defensive item or just 2 defensive items that leaves you with no health?

A: If you have health and defense your defense works to protect health
B: If you have no health at all then your defense is pointless as you will die even from 1hp of damage taken.

My point is some hp is needed not only for that reason but for reasons of gods that say blah blah blah gains 2% max hp blah blah blah.

Also as I said before its "bonus" defense which means if you see an item that has alot of health aka "bonus defense that offers you hp to magic/physical" you are going to want to take it over another defense item that only has defense.

Example
A: Item has no health but 65 magical defense
B: Item has 500 health and 60 magical defense.

I'd take the 5 less magical defense that only protects me from magic where the extra 500 hp lets me take more damage from any type of attack.

Imagine having 3 defensive items but only 500 hp total? You would die quick as heck even with 3 defensive items.

So yes hp is needed, just not as much but its needed when you have little of it.

To some 400 health may not even seem like alot of health but if you think about it that is like taking a Anhur impale to your face so if you think about 400 as damage being taken you could say that is a free impale to your face extra you can live from.

ICEN

Prominent (41)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by BestMinionEver » November 22, 2013 6:08am | Report
Subzero008 wrote:

Wait...base health in LoL is higher, so health from items must be higher? I don't really think that makes sense.

Like in lol, a Champion have a higher over all health. So therefor you need more health from items for it to make any difference.

Pretty simple actually.
If all you own is 10$, 100$ would make a insane difference.
If you own 1000000000000$, 100$ wouldn't make a difference at all.

So because lol has more health (from lvling) you need more health from items to make a difference and make the worth the gold and item slot ;)
IGN: Marki

Jungle & Support main.

Casually tryharding ranked now and again.

Make fun of my bad plays on Twitch ;)
Is only pixels, why you haf to be mad?

BestMinionEver
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (69)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Sirsir94 » November 22, 2013 5:40pm | Report
MadDanny wrote:

Well this is still beta. They still have A LOT of time to put more items and Gods in it or to edit the current ones. To the point that everyone has what they need. You can't compare Smite with the COMPLETE Mobas of today. THIS is BETA. Don't rush them. You can complain once it's at it's full release.

But if we the players don't complain, how will they know whats wrong?

Seriously though, I do think the overall HP per items is kinda ****py in this game, even compared to Lol. Nothing major, but I can feel it. Noone ever even goes for health in this game, unless they are stacking for Ethereal or Ankh. When you build an HP item its usually more for the effects of the item, and the HP is nothing more than a nice bonus. You want tanky? You stack a mix of protections.
PENTAS: Loki
Quadras: Cupid, Artemis, Loki, Ah Muzen Cab

Sirsir94

Remarkable (6)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by noctuum » November 22, 2013 9:18pm | Report
I think it would be cool to have some items that give higher health, but I dont think that the current items are usless. The health items give less than in league, but it still helps you to become plenty tanky. Those items thatr give 200-300 health add up. Although that does leave little room to try hybrid builds. To be truly tanky you almost have to have all health and protection items.

Also health isnt that big in smite, most people rely on protections. In league you can build health and be tanky, but the faster paced style of smite makes health as a source of tankiness kind of minor. Adding more health rather than prots in smite would just get you bursted down waaaaayyy too fast.
Exclamatory! I'm so Adjective I Verb Nouns Adverbly.

IGN: BonyCrow
Add Me.

noctuum

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

SMITEFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new god, or fine tune your favorite SMITE gods’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 SMITEFire | All Rights Reserved

} } } } }