Smitefire logo

Join the leading SMITE community.
Create and share God Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

So LoLfire Just Received a Nice Feature

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on SmiteFire.

Forum » Build & Guide Discussion » So LoLfire Just Received a Nice Feature 5 posts - page 1 of 1
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by TormentedTurnip » December 8, 2013 5:19pm | Report
Quoted:
New Guide Scoring System!

Summary: We've changed the calculations that determine a guide's rank (top, 2nd to top, etc) when using the guide browser or viewing a champion's page. The new calculations only count recent votes towards the ranking score.

Context: Top guides felt like immovable objects and discouraged new guides from being written. Authors of top guides did not have much motivation to keep their guide up to date or improve its quality since it could stay at the top by sitting on its mountain of votes. This left us with some low quality top guides and jaded authors.

�Votes expire in 30 days

�Guides will have a minimum vote threshold that is calculated based on the number of votes top guides get in 30 days, votes within this threshold won't expire when their 30 days are up

�The vote threshold will take into account the most recent votes

�Voting on a guide again will "refresh" your vote, changing it to new and replacing your old vote

�Guide scores are still calculated using a Bayesian average so that 1 vote guides won't shoot to the top of the list, but only count non-expired votes

These changes will make individual votes have more impact, and guide scores will be a better reflection of their quality in the current patch. Authors that keep their guide up to date will accumulate upvotes, while authors that don't update will accumulate downvotes. You should see a lot more guide rank shifts than you did in the old system. This will be especially beneficial for Preseason and the start of Season 4 since playstyles and strategies will change rapidly.

I like the idea of old votes fading, because guides that no longer receive updates will eventually...become outdated. (what a concept)
I completely agree with its summary, and don't feel the need to expand upon it.

What do ya'll think? I really would love to see this implemented. The only problem I see is how few people actually use the voting system.

TormentedTurnip
<Retired Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Esteemed (96)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Subzero008 » December 8, 2013 6:08pm | Report
Yes, this sounds extremely good. This will minimize the impact of "trend votes," since once it leaves front page, people will have to judge a guide by its own merits.

Hell, maybe this way, people will start voting more.

I lend my voice to TT's cause. Let's implement this!

Subzero008

Renowned (112)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Nex The Slayer » December 10, 2013 4:05am | Report
Do this now please!
just
juts
jus
do
dis
nao
plz

Nex The Slayer

Prominent (37)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Mowen » December 10, 2013 7:08pm | Report
I'm not sure how hard it would be to implement MOBAFire's new voting system to SmiteFire. We were also still testing it out and would probably want to make sure people are still liking it after it's been there a while. However, will keep it in mind that the other sites could use this system as well.

Mowen
<Production Coordinator>

Distinguished (57)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by TormentedTurnip » December 11, 2013 3:17am | Report
Thanks for the reply, Mowen. Looking forward to seeing MOBAFire's input.

TormentedTurnip
<Retired Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Esteemed (96)
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

SMITEFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new god, or fine tune your favorite SMITE gods’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 SMITEFire | All Rights Reserved

} } } } }