Smitefire logo

Join the leading SMITE community.
Create and share God Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Need help with everything really.

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on SmiteFire.

Forum » New Player Help » Need help with everything really. 9 posts - page 1 of 1
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by LaddieMawery » August 7, 2013 12:10pm | Report
I'm pretty much just starting to play the game, I'm level 9 and so far have really only played arena. For the most part I've played Hades and used the builds that were on this site without really knowing why I have been buying certain items and what they do fully.

Conquest is game mode I don't understand all to much at the moment either. I understand the objective of the game, but I don't understand how you decide if you should be in a lane or the jungle and how you have to play in each spot.

What I'm really trying to ask in a short way is how do you go about picking the items for your character and then how each type of character is supposed to play in the different game modes. Any advice would be helpful as I am relatively new to playing MOBA's and would like to become better at the game because it's so much fun.

LaddieMawery

Permalink | Quote | +Rep by ShinjiEvangelio » August 9, 2013 11:56am | Report
Well I kinda understand U. Smite was the first MOBA I have played and I had similar problems :D.

If it's about builds U should just read the guide carefully. Usually the author wrote something about why he chose such items and so on.

About conquest. Usually U have two gods on side lanes and 1 god playing middle lane. Usual pairs for side lanes are ADC/Mage + tank/tanky bruiser and ranged mage on mid (usually the god very good with killing minions for example Ao Kuang). U can also play with jungler. Then U have 1 solo laner on side lane, one solo laner on mid lane, 2 gods on the other sidelane and a jungler who roams around the map ganking enemies. Jungler is usually a bruiser or assasin (Loki, Thor, Bakasura, NeZha, Fenrir)

I hope I did not make many mistakes. What may help U in future is to try more gods. Knowing what a certain god can do and how a god should be played is very important and helpful.

ShinjiEvangelio

Notable (1)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by ICEN » August 9, 2013 7:46pm | Report
First you have to keep playing smite over and over to learn what all the characters can do.
For example if you just started you may face some gods that you have no idea how strong they are since you either did not check their stats, read their abilities or face them yet.

So the only way to learn that is to play smite.

Go to the Gods tab when you load up smite and check the stats of everygod.

THere is only two types of damage, magical and physical.
- gods that do phyiscal damage are gods like anhur, hercules, thor, ect. Those gods do alot of damage with basic attacks without having to use skills although their skills still do good damage.

- Then their is magical damage which are usually mages, these gods don't do alot of damage with basic attacks but they deal alot of damage with their skills and rely on their skills.

So its basically like this.

When you face someone who is magical you are trying to avoid their skills not their basic attacks since it does little damage, when you face a physical god you are trying to not let them hit you with basic attacks and also their skills. THeir skills don't do alot of damage like magical gods but they are still going to hurt you.

Then after you learn the two types of damage in the game which is magical and physical you need to learn the roles. Go to the god tab and check out the stats of each god to get an idea of them. Also check out how much damage their abilities do when you click on the god tab and click on OVERVIEW.

Some gods are :
Mages - These are gods that do high magical damage but have low defense. These gods usually go in the mid lane because mages can clear waves easy so being in the mid lane allows them to 1v1 well. Mages are gods like, hebo, poseidon, isis, agni. Again mages are basically gods that have low defense but deal alot of magical damage.

Tank (Magical) - A tank is a god that is ment to TAKE DAMAGE FOR YOUR TEAM. You are their to protect your mages and physical carry's (gods that deal high physical damage but have low defense) Your job is to build alot of defense so that you can stop the other team from killing your damage dealers. Tanks can either be magical or physical. A tank has more hp and defense than other gods right from the start. Tanks are gods like ymir, sobek, vulcan ect.

Tank (physical) - your job is still the same, the only difference is you deal physical damage instead of magical. Your attack stats are probably not as high but your health and defense is
higher than other gods.

Physical carry - THese are gods that do HIGH Physical damage but have low defense. They deal alot of basic attack damage and all their skills deal physical damage. Your job is to deal physical damage. xblanque, cupid, kali, ect.

Bruiser(magical or phyiscal) - These gods are a mix between high damage and high defense. So you end up with a god that can both tank some damage and do some damage as well. You just have to remember you are not as tanky as a tank and not as strong as a physical carry or mage. These gods are gods like thor, tyr, vamana, ect.

Ranged / Melee - Then your god is either ranged or melee. Anhur, cupid, xblanuqe, apollo, are all gods that are ranged and can keep distance while hitting you with basic attacks. Melee gods are gods like hercules, thor, vamana, ect that have to be up close to deal basic attack damage.

EXTRA ROLES :

Then there are other roles like :

Junlger - This is a god that does two things. This god stays in the jungle and does not fight in any lane. This gods job is to level up in the jungle, get buffs in the junlge for your team, take buffs away and exp away from the other teams jungle and your most important job IS TO GANK ALL THE LANES. A jungler can be a very important role because the other team does not know who your jungler will gank and when they will gank. Since a jungler does not stay in a lane they have no clue where your jungler is on the map since gods in the junlge do not appear on the mini map. Junlgers are gods like - arachne, ne zha, hun batz, kali, fenrir ect. THese gods are gods that can clear jungle camps faster than normal gods.

Solo - These are gods that will do a 1v2 when you have a jungler on your team. Since your junlger is in the jungle for most the game you will be the one who will take a 1v2. This god needs to be able to survive but yet clear waves. Your job is simple, it is to survive and defend your tower. You are not trying to win your lane although you can and its a good thing if you do. All you are doing is clearing the wave then going back to your tower. YOu are staying alive as long as possible and keeping your tower alive so the junlger on your team has time to gank other lanes, and if you have a good jungler they will come back into your lane and kill one of the enemy gods for you.

That is all the roles in smite, its important to know that certain gods can have more than one role based on what items you put on them. For example odin who is naturally tanky can be build for high damage, but he can also be build pure tanky to tank damage.

Lanes - A match with a good team usually has
a 1v1 lane or 2v2 lane depending if anyone is junlging. Mid is a 1v1 lane usually played with mages and a 2v2 lane.

When picking your teams gods you want to make sure you have both physical and magical damage on your team. If you have all physical gods then enemy team can buy only physical items and counter your entire team.

YOU MUST have a 1 mage, 1 physical damage dealer, 1 tank. Those are like the 3 must that you must have. You will need a magical person to deal magical damage, a physical god that dishes out alot of physical damage and a tank to keep them safe. From there you have 2 god choices left which people pick different gods like a junlger, some might want another mage or bruiser ect.

How to play conquest and win conquest, the idea. ITEMS ECT.

LOADING SCREEN - When you see the loading screen you will want to see which gods the other team picked. You need to know how many magical gods they have and how many physical gods they have. The only way to know this is to play smite and learn who is physical and magical.

- WHEN YOU SPAWN - this is when you buy items for the fight. Based on the gods you see on your enemy team and what role you are is what items you will pick. If you are a tank you will pick defensive items that counter the gods that are MOST LIKELY To deal the most damage to you. If you think HEBO is your main concern then it is best to counter him then someone who never attacks you or who you are not worried about.

If you notice there are 4 gods that deal magical damage then you will want to buy most of your items for magical defense since 4 out of 5 of their gods deal that damage as magical.

If you are a mage you will build magical damage

If you are a physical carry damage dealer you are building alot of physical damage.

No matter if you pick tank, mage or physical you will always most of the time want to get boots because of the speed it gives you early game. After all you do not want to be super slow and unable to chase or run. They also give you basic stats for early game.

If you are a god that does alot of damage you will want to check what items the other gods are buying. If you notice you are a mage like anubis, and you are facing a hebo who is also a mage and he is building MAGICAL DEFENSE FOR YOU. THen you will need to buy magical penetration to cut through his defense.

I'm sure you know how to play conquest by now.

#1 Clear the minions
#2 Don't die aka feed
#3 Take towers
#4 when you have time grab buffs and get xp from the jungle
#5 when you have time gank other lanes that need help

#6 when your have killed a good portion of the other team or have all their towers pushed up try to get the gold furry or fire gaint.

#7 Attack the pheinox
#8 Group up and attack the minitar
#9 Talk trash at the end of the game
#10 then you get reported (JK dont do that)

Team fights will happen mid to late game in conquest.

During a team fight

The tank should be the one who is taking all the damage, if you are not you failed your role as a tank and will probably lose the team fight because other gods will not be willing to tank damage when they simply can't.

The damage dealers will try to not get hit but deal their damage

The junlgers usually hid around and come from behind a team fight

The bruisers are the ones brawling it out but they have to be more careful then a tank since they can't take too much damage.

Then it comes down to who gets out played.

ICEN

Prominent (41)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by LaddieMawery » August 10, 2013 10:25am | Report
Thank you both so much for the help! I do have a few additional questions though from some things I've noticed.

When you mention that tanks are supposed to take most, if not all, of the damage, I have a hard time being able to do that with Hades (from a few joust games). Everyone seems to find a way to avoid me or get right pass me and get to my teammates. Would it be better to play a bruiser then and focus a little more on defensive stats than just damage?

And within conquest, and other game modes as well, how do you decide who gets what buff? And when is it appropriate to go get them, and do other things like killing the fire giant or gold furry?

Edit: Also what quick chat commands would you say are the most important to know? Just so I can write them down and try to memorize them.

LaddieMawery

Permalink | Quote | +Rep by BestMinionEver » August 10, 2013 10:31am | Report
LaddieMawery wrote:

When you mention that tanks are supposed to take most, if not all, of the damage, I have a hard time being able to do that with Hades (from a few joust games). Everyone seems to find a way to avoid me or get right pass me and get to my teammates. Would it be better to play a bruiser then and focus a little more on defensive stats than just damage?

Hades has a problem with that actually, gods like Ymir and Bacchus are better at pealing damage ;)

IMO Hades is better played as a bruiser than full tank :P
IGN: Marki

Jungle & Support main.

Casually tryharding ranked now and again.

Make fun of my bad plays on Twitch ;)
Is only pixels, why you haf to be mad?

BestMinionEver
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (69)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by LaddieMawery » August 10, 2013 10:37am | Report

Hades has a problem with that actually, gods like Ymir and Bacchus are better at pealing damage ;)

IMO Hades is better played as a bruiser than full tank :P

That's how I've been playing him when I go into arena and it works great.

What tank would you recommend I learn first then?

LaddieMawery

Permalink | Quote | +Rep by BestMinionEver » August 10, 2013 10:50am | Report
hmmm, Ymir is always going to be my favorite. He has great cc and works well with everyone.

Bacchus is great to learn how engage in teamfights when playing as a tank ;)

Sobek is great as well when it comes learning how to force ppl out of position :)
IGN: Marki

Jungle & Support main.

Casually tryharding ranked now and again.

Make fun of my bad plays on Twitch ;)
Is only pixels, why you haf to be mad?

BestMinionEver
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (69)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by ICEN » August 10, 2013 1:18pm | Report
LaddieMawery wrote:

Thank you both so much for the help! I do have a few additional questions though from some things I've noticed.

And within conquest, and other game modes as well, how do you decide who gets what buff? And when is it appropriate to go get them, and do other things like killing the fire giant or gold furry?

Edit: Also what quick chat commands would you say are the most important to know? Just so I can write them down and try to memorize them.
I don't play hades much but too me he doesn't seem to have away to keep people focused on him other than his ult. People like ymir has a stun to annoy the hell out of people.

How do you decide who gets the buffs? Well just remember that sometimes people will get random buffs but for the most part :

- Blue buff aka mana/cooldown buff usually goes to mages or people that solo aka people that are doing a 1v2. Certain gods like APHRODITE will get the blue buff because her passive allows her mana to be given to her team mate she is connected to.

For the most part the blue buff is usually taken by mages or someone who wants to spam abilities. But sometimes random people take the buff. Its also good to look at what your team mates bought, if you noticed your team mate didn't buy any mana pots then just let them have blue instead of you get it.

RED BUFF - Usually the jungler picks up this buff or someone who can deal alot of damage will get this buff. Sometimes the jungler will take blue and if you have nice jungler they will take speed but most of the time the jungler OR someone who does high damage takes red buff.

For example Anhur would take the red buff since he does alot of damage. Tanks do not take the red buff because they don't do as much damage so its not as useful on them.

YOU CAN FEEL FREE TO GRAB ANY BUFF IF YOUR TEAM IS JUST LEAVING IT THERE THOUGH or they are dead or busy or if its going to run out. When you get the buff it has a certain time limit before it disappears.

Speed - Usually damage dealers pick this up as well just so they can move around faster to secure kills.

Honestly people will take different buffs.
Some people perfer different buffs but most of the time

- mages want the blue buff
- damage dealers take the red buff
- speed goes to usually the person who has no buffs lol but speed will also be taken by junglers or damage dealers just for speed to secure kills or move around in the jungle and gank faster.

These are the commands that I remember off hand that are important. Don't worry it will take time to remember them, I learned them after a while of playing smite. The way to learn the commands is simply by watching your team mates use them. It will literally show you what buttons to press when someone uses a command. It will show what to press right next to what they said in order to say what they said.

Some of the commands you can learn because the letters are the starting letter of what you want to say, for example when you press V then A A stands for attack so you will remember what A stands for.

VA = ATTACK command - VAA = attack
VA1 = attack left lane VA2 = Attack middle lane VA3 = ATTACK RIGHT LANE
VAG = attack the gold furry VAF = attack fire giant.

As you see A stands for attack, G stands for GOLD furry and F stands for fire giant so its easy to remember.

Pressing V basically just pops up the chat, so you need to press V to pop open the chat. The only time you press V again is if you want to open up more commands. So you press V to open up the chat then you press A which stands for attack. After you choose attack you now have to press 1,2 or 3 to say which lane to attack.

VD = DEFEND COMMAND
VVD = defend VA1 = defend left lane, VA2 = defend Middle Lane VA3 = defend right lane

This is pretty simple any time you are using the numbers 1,2, or 3 it means left middle right.

VH = HELP COMMAND
VHH = HELP
VH1 = help left
VH2 Help middle lane
VH3 help right lane

Okay you get the point when I put a 1,2 or 3 after something it means left, middle or right.

VBB = Be right back
say this when you are returning to base so your team mate knows he will be alone until you come back

VR = RETREAT COMMAND
VRR = retreat
VR1
VR2
VR3

Hopefully you remember what the numbers 1,2,3 mean because I just told you it is the command but it tells your team which direction you are saying the command.

VVX = Cancel that
say this if you make a mistake or someone says something like attack fire gaint and you think its not safe

VVY = yes
VVN = no

VVGG = good game
VVGN = nice job

THE MOST IMPORTANT COMMAND ARE THESE TWO

VVVG = Ultimate is ready
VVVD = Ultimate is down

You need to let your team know when your ult is ready

you can say attack after you say ultimate is ready to let them know you want to attack

Another important command

VG = GANK COMMMAND aka flank or jump
VVG = gank
VVG1
VVG2
VVG3

There are more and it would take forever but those are the basics

oh and

VVW = Wait

ICEN

Prominent (41)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Karmashock » August 12, 2013 9:07pm | Report
You should have a core build for every god. Typically 1-3 items that you tend to get on a god almost no matter what.

Variations on that build should come from your impression of what you'll need beyond that point.

Pay attention to the score. Who is getting kills. Who is feeding. What types of gods are active? Are there any combos that are dangerous? Is anyone especially delicious that you want to eat over and over again? Just pay attention to what is happening.

If the enemy is ganking and using the jungle a lot then consider buying lots of wards and keeping the jungle warded at all times. This is expensive but it will shut the jungler/ganker down. And that will pay for itself because no only will you not be getting ganked but neither will your allies in the area.

If the enemy team is very physical or the primary threat is physical... consider buying some physical armor. Even a little will be the difference between getting one shotted and surviving long enough to respond. Same with if the team is very magical... If you're playing tank especially make a point of building more or less armor of different types based on who is doing damage.

If the enemy is very fast and has lots of cheap escapes, consider buying speed items and snare items. Things like winged wand and Creeping curse.

etc. Just adapt.

Karmashock

Remarkable (5)

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

SMITEFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new god, or fine tune your favorite SMITE gods’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 SMITEFire | All Rights Reserved

} } } } }