Smitefire logo

Join the leading SMITE community.
Create and share God Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

looking for current meta guide

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on SmiteFire.

Forum » New Player Help » looking for current meta guide 12 posts - page 1 of 2
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by VikingMystic » March 4, 2014 9:30am | Report
Are there any good guides that will give the whole rundown of the most current META for a complete noob to MOBAs. For that matter anything generally helpful concerning conquest. I have looked up a lot of stuff but not knowing anything it is very difficult to tell what is current and what is not.

I am not sure I am going to the correct lane depending on what god I choose. I usually just go to a lane that has nobody in it or the one that has a tank support. But what do you do when everyone chooses mages? I will take Ymir if nobody else take a guardian or warrior but I am not very good with him. I also know that I should be using wards but I am not sure where I should place them, or when.

Basically I have been trying to find good information on how to play right but I don't know what right is and there is a lot of conflicting advice and guides that are a year or more old.

VikingMystic

Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Raventhor » March 4, 2014 10:35am | Report
Well there is a 'short lane' (near Fire Giant) and a 'long lane' (near Gold Fury). It based on the distances between towers.

Mid lane is the mage lane. Short lane is the solo lane - random odd picks, but usually a bruiser or sustain character like Chang'E or something. Long Lane is the duo lane - ADC Hunter, and a Support Tank.

Then there's Jungle. Jungle is the Jungle. Assassins and Warriors go there.
-Demolibium

Raventhor
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Eminent (158)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by VikingMystic » March 4, 2014 12:40pm | Report
Ok, that's mostly what I had picked up but wasn't certain. And I didn't know mage sustains could go over to the short lane. I suppose it has been messing me up that at this level few know where to go and groups are often lopsided. Beginners don't learn well from beginners. Kind of "Lord of the Flies" Smite Style. Thanks for the answer.

A bruiser is a warrior built more tanky right?

How long to you try to keep doing the lanes? Things seem to break down after a while.

If you are in solo lane vs 2 opponents do you ask for help or a gank?

Is there a right way to do ganking? Who is supposed to do that ganking?

If people don't go to the right lanes do you just do your best to fill the hole or something else?

Is ADC always a hunter? Is every hunter an ADC? Is that a one to one terminology thing or could another physical damage type be a carry like a warrior or assassin? Are there mage magic damage carries?

How do I join the clan and what are the requirements?

Am I asking too many questions?

VikingMystic

Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Raventhor » March 4, 2014 1:08pm | Report
Ok

Bruiser is a mix between damage and tank. But in this game, there's bruiser items, not a mix of like 3 damage items, 3 tank items. Things like Voidblade, Jotunn's Wrath, Runic Shield, Witch Stone, etc are all dedicated bruiser items. But yes, it's generally good to build more tanky than damage, because base damage is ridiculous on bruisers. The basis for your damage items should all be penetration to let that huge base damage be true damage.

Laning usually lasts until a few towers are down. Farm as long as possible until you start rotating or pushing lanes. Past the first row of towers, it's pretty much just splitpushing at that point.

If you're in a solo lane vs two, which assumes they have no jungler, just farm under tower and let your jungler pressure somewhere else. If it's 1-1-2 and they have 2-1-1 so they still have a jungler, but you're solo, you can ask for a gank, but a 3 man dive on their solo laner may be better. Basically, either way, just try to farm as best you can until they push up far and your jungler can help.

Ganking is usually just the mid laner or ganker. Mages in the mid lane have very little CC, and as such just pump out hella damage while you try to CC or do it yourself. Same with Junglers, but with Tectonic Rift, Ragnarok, Cocoon, etc they can provide CC enough to lock someone down. If you miss the huge damage shots or CC shots, then it's a failed gank. Only gank when they're very pushed up or they'll just get away easily.

If they don't fill the lanes properly and you haven't picked yet, try to pick something that'll both do well in lane and fill that gap. For example, if the duo lane is Vulcan and Odin, meaning you have no ADC, try to lock a Neith in the solo lane, who has waveclear, harass, sustain, is safe, yet still is a hunter and will do well late game. Try to pick someone in the role you're missing who still works well in the lane.

ADC is always a hunter, and vice versa, for the most part. ADC means Attack Damage Carry, which is a LoL term (other games use agility or such), and all hunters build enough damage (plus innate attack steroids) that allow for auto attack builds to scale ridiculously well. However, some carries are still utility at heart, like Neith with her roots, attack speed reductions, etc. Assassins and Warriors have their own terminology, and assassins are by definition ADC's - they are high damage carries - but they're not known AS ADC's.

Mages, staying true to the LoL metaphor, is an APC - ability power carry. They'd do ridiculous magic damage. Mages are usually always carries, but some can be utility mages, such as Nu Wa, Chang'E, Ra, Aphrodite, etc.

To join the clan, just ask. Smitefire accepts all. Just give us your IGN :)
-Demolibium

Raventhor
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Eminent (158)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by VikingMystic » March 4, 2014 1:39pm | Report
This is wonderful information.

Is a bruiser always a warrior or could an assassin be built as a bruiser?

What makes an assassin different from a warrior? just damage vs durability or is it more than that? Assassins, warriors and jungling are what I know the least about.

What is splitpushing?

Ok, so ADC more refers to someone who will use autoattacks at range for damage late game rather than just being a physical damage based character. and mages are not referred this way because they will focus on using skills later. Is that right? or close?

So ganking is usually done by the jungler catching someone at just the right time in the mid lane right?

I am VikingMystic in game. I will be on a bit later tonight. Do I need to contact someone in game? Is there a way to search by clan tag?

VikingMystic

Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Raventhor » March 4, 2014 2:34pm | Report
1) Yes, technically. Kali and Fenrir can be assassins or bruisers. But it's not recommended in most cases.

2) Assassins have a way to instantly assassinate a single target. Loki is the perfect example of this. But bruisers have innate sustain in a fight without sacrificing base damage for this. Tanks have no long-term damage like bruisers do. The difference in the insta-gib potential vs some sustain.

3) Splitpushing is a tactic in the later game. Instead of grouping as a group of 5 to push down a single lane, a group of 4 gathers in one spot while a single person splits off to push a different lane. Usually this person can either 1v1 anyone on the enemy team, forcing 2 to come to the lane and letting your team 4v3, or they are so safe that they can't be punished for being alone. This puts pressure on two lanes at once.

4) Yep, you basically got it. ADC in this game = Hunter. Mages are skill users, save Chronos and Freya, who are still considered Auto Attack Mages.

5) It's done by the jungler or mid lane, on any other lane. Junglers can also gank mid lane. Obviously mages can't gank their own lane though.

6) Nope, someone will add you. Or message someone frmo the thread otherwise. I don't know if we can search by clan tag.
-Demolibium

Raventhor
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Eminent (158)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Firraria » March 4, 2014 2:45pm | Report
VikingMystic wrote:

This is wonderful information.

Is a bruiser always a warrior or could an assassin be built as a bruiser?

Yes. Fenrir is an example of this. He's often built as a bruiser, because his 3 is extremely risky later on.

VikingMystic wrote:

What makes an assassin different from a warrior? just damage vs durability or is it more than that? Assassins, warriors and jungling are what I know the least about.

Assassins are meant to grab a kill very quickly by utilizing insane burst damage, and then getting the hell out. But to do this, they usually have to build full (or almost full) damage. Like, Loki for example, he is a perfect example of an assassin. He blows everything he has on one target, but he does insane amounts of damage in the process and likely kills the target instantly, but his escapes are his attacks, so he's kind of risk vs. reward. There are assassins who are also good for sustained damage, like Bakasura. Assassins are always very good at 1v1, and have little to offer during teamfights.

Bruisers/warriors on the other hand, they are bulky enough to stay in a teamfight but have enough damage to dish out pain. They usually have a form of hard CC, decent waveclear, and an escape. Tyr for an example. He's bulky in terms of defense but can still do a lot of damage whilst locking you down at the same time, giving your teammates time to finish the job. Bruisers can also play as supports. Brusiers are kinda like tanks but less defense and more damage. They help set up kills but they can also get plenty of kills for themselves.

Jungling is when you go around the map taking out camps, (especially the mid harpies, they are extremely important) ganking lanes, yatta yatta. The midlaner and the jungler are like a team, if the jungler does badly then the midlaner will have it way harder. If the midlaner does badly, the jungler will have it harder. Junglers can go into lanes that are being pushed and help clear waves to give his allies the edge, or simply attack and hopefully kill the enemy laners.

VikingMystic wrote:

What is splitpushing?

That's when the roaming phase has begun, but you split up from the team to push a lane by yourself, hopefully surprising the enemy. It's good for taking out towers right under their noses.
Also, to split push, you generally want a god with high waveclear and a good escape (which means mages are not good split pushers). If the enemy team sees you pushing alone, they're likely to all come at you at once to ensure a 1v5 and an easy kill, which is where a good escape comes in handy. Apollo is the best splitpushing in the game because he has great waveclear and his ult in one of the best escapes in the game.

VikingMystic wrote:

Ok, so ADC more refers to someone who will use autoattacks at range for damage late game rather than just being a physical damage based character. and mages are not referred this way because they will focus on using skills later. Is that right? or close?

ADCs/Hunters primarily attack with basic attacks lategame, although ADCs like Ah Muzen Cab are more like casters during early game. ADCs are extremely powerful with basic attacks late game.

Mages focus on using skills throughout the entire game. Unless we're talking about someone like Chronos or even Nu Wa. Chronos focuses almost completely on basic attacking.

VikingMystic wrote:

So ganking is usually done by the jungler catching someone at just the right time in the mid lane right?

Not just the mid lane, but right lane and left lane too. Although, generally, junglers want to keep most pressure on the middle lane.

VikingMystic wrote:

I am VikingMystic in game. I will be on a bit later tonight. Do I need to contact someone in game? Is there a way to search by clan tag?

My IGN is Firraria. I'll probably be on later if you wanna add me.

Edit: Raventhor ninja'd me.

Firraria
<Skullcracker>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (58)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Ragingstorm » March 4, 2014 2:48pm | Report
Wonderful explanation Firarria.
All Hail Queen Storm, Queen Storm, Queen Ragingstorm!
You may call me Miss Storm.

"I have returned to the battlefield of these men, and this time, there will be no more salvation,"~Ragingstorm

BB Coding Queen of Smitefire: In the Olden Days, at least.

Ragingstorm

Prominent (49)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Raventhor » March 4, 2014 2:50pm | Report
I Ninja'd you? I've been the one answering this Q&A this entire time!

Ragingstorm wrote:

:(
-Demolibium

Raventhor
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Eminent (158)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Firraria » March 4, 2014 2:54pm | Report
Raventhor wrote:

I Ninja'd you? I've been the one answering this Q&A this entire time!

Yeah, but I wanted to be the knight in shining armor this time. D:
Sadly, ninjas > knights.

Ragingstorm wrote:

Thank you. :)

Firraria
<Skullcracker>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (58)
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

SMITEFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new god, or fine tune your favorite SMITE gods’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 SMITEFire | All Rights Reserved

} } } } }