Smitefire logo

Join the leading SMITE community.
Create and share God Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Bad Melee Player Seeking Advice

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on SmiteFire.

Forum » New Player Help » Bad Melee Player Seeking Advice 20 posts - page 1 of 2
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Osoron » April 29, 2013 9:03am | Report
Hello! I've been playing for about 2 weeks now. I'm level 13, and I really enjoy this game.

I have a big problem, though. I'm a really bad melee player. I like to play Assault mode because it gets me out of my comfort zone, gives me a chance to try characters I wouldn't pick, and all that. I've found some new favorites I never thought I'd enjoy because I got them on Assault.

However, I get assigned a melee character more often than not. I have the ultimate god pack, so all the gods are available. It just seems that Assault mode really, really wants me to be melee. And I'm just not good at it.

When I say "not good," I mean that I usually can't figure out a way to engage without getting focused into tiny bits before I can get back out.

I do okay with tanks (except Bacchus who I just do not enjoy), but I still feel like I die a lot before I kit them out with solid tank gear. I had a recent run as Guan Yu and Odin where I held out pretty well but I am not really clear on the best ways and times to engage. I can handle Bruiser types okay. Last time I got Herc, I think I represented myself passably.

I fail really badly with a lot of the assassins, though. A lot of the time, I just don't know how to engage and get back out without dying horribly. I do better with assassins that have some kind of gap closer (like Sun Wukong or Ne Zha or even Loki). Whenever I get Arachne I just kind of give up because it seems like I just get melted while trying to engage.

So I guess what I'm looking for is advice on how to better handle being an assassin (or melee in genera) god. I know you have to expect you're going to die at some point, especially in Assault. But I'd like to learn some kind of tactics that let me stay alive long enough to land kills or harass and escape before I get destroyed.

I almost always buy Purification Beads, but it never quite seems like enough. The CC isn't always the issue. A lot of times it's just that I get focused as soon as I'm seen and I don't get a chance to do anything. I know people are going to target assassins early because they're squishy and scary damage, but I've seen plenty of people play assassins very successfully and I'm curious what the strategies are.

Osoron

Permalink | Quote | +Rep by ElGrizz » April 29, 2013 9:25am | Report
Osoron wrote:

Hello! I've been playing for about 2 weeks now. I'm level 13, and I really enjoy this game.

I have a big problem, though. I'm a really bad melee player. I like to play Assault mode because it gets me out of my comfort zone, gives me a chance to try characters I wouldn't pick, and all that. I've found some new favorites I never thought I'd enjoy because I got them on Assault.

However, I get assigned a melee character more often than not. I have the ultimate god pack, so all the gods are available. It just seems that Assault mode really, really wants me to be melee. And I'm just not good at it.

When I say "not good," I mean that I usually can't figure out a way to engage without getting focused into tiny bits before I can get back out.

I do okay with tanks (except Bacchus who I just do not enjoy), but I still feel like I die a lot before I kit them out with solid tank gear. I had a recent run as Guan Yu and Odin where I held out pretty well but I am not really clear on the best ways and times to engage. I can handle Bruiser types okay. Last time I got Herc, I think I represented myself passably.

I fail really badly with a lot of the assassins, though. A lot of the time, I just don't know how to engage and get back out without dying horribly. I do better with assassins that have some kind of gap closer (like Sun Wukong or Ne Zha or even Loki). Whenever I get Arachne I just kind of give up because it seems like I just get melted while trying to engage.

So I guess what I'm looking for is advice on how to better handle being an assassin (or melee in genera) god. I know you have to expect you're going to die at some point, especially in Assault. But I'd like to learn some kind of tactics that let me stay alive long enough to land kills or harass and escape before I get destroyed.

I almost always buy Purification Beads, but it never quite seems like enough. The CC isn't always the issue. A lot of times it's just that I get focused as soon as I'm seen and I don't get a chance to do anything. I know people are going to target assassins early because they're squishy and scary damage, but I've seen plenty of people play assassins very successfully and I'm curious what the strategies are.

They key to playing as a melee character is playing defensively. In any game type, Ranged will be more aggressive since they can attack from a safe distance. As a melee you're looking for the key opportunities to attack, like a God being out of position. Being out of position can mean many things, but what a Pro will watch for is other Gods that have no escape or have just recently used their escape and are pushed up too far with no support.

It will take practice and experience to master spotting these opportunities but it will come easily after some time. I've been level 30 for roughly 2-3 weeks and am just now considering myself a good player.

Know your role in the team composition. If you are not a bruiser or a tank, then you are not an initiator. Don't be the first to run in as a melee God, because YOU WILL GET FOCUSED. Let the initiator do his job, then it's your job to come in while their focus is diverted to finish the job.

As Arachne, you will never need to run in and initiate. This is why your ult has such a low cooldown, probably the lowest in the game. You can bring them to you and your partner/team. Same concept with Sobek's charge.

Anyways practice is key. Try doing lots of jousts. Jousting will truly teach you a God, because you won't have any support.

Add me to Smite! IGN: ElGrizz

Hit that +Rep, I can tell you want to...

A Fetus?! Mother of God!

ElGrizz

Prominent (28)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by TheAmazingComicBookGuy » April 29, 2013 11:03am | Report
Osoron wrote:

I do okay with tanks (except Bacchus who I just do not enjoy)

you just got yourself a new nemesis dude xD

TheAmazingComicBookGuy

Prominent (47)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Osoron » April 29, 2013 11:17am | Report
ElGrizz wrote:

They key to playing as a melee character is playing defensively. In any game type, Ranged will be more aggressive since they can attack from a safe distance. As a melee you're looking for the key opportunities to attack, like a God being out of position. Being out of position can mean many things, but what a Pro will watch for is other Gods that have no escape or have just recently used their escape and are pushed up too far with no support.

It will take practice and experience to master spotting these opportunities but it will come easily after some time. I've been level 30 for roughly 2-3 weeks and am just now considering myself a good player.

Know your role in the team composition. If you are not a bruiser or a tank, then you are not an initiator. Don't be the first to run in as a melee God, because YOU WILL GET FOCUSED. Let the initiator do his job, then it's your job to come in while their focus is diverted to finish the job.

As Arachne, you will never need to run in and initiate. This is why your ult has such a low cooldown, probably the lowest in the game. You can bring them to you and your partner/team. Same concept with Sobek's charge.

Anyways practice is key. Try doing lots of jousts. Jousting will truly teach you a God, because you won't have any support.

So the gist is "don't be greedy?"

you just got yourself a new nemesis dude xD

Yikes! Go easy on me ;) I am just really bad at playing Bacchus so I can't stand getting him in Assault. I die a LOT.

Osoron

Permalink | Quote | +Rep by TheAmazingComicBookGuy » April 29, 2013 11:40am | Report
Osoron wrote:

So the gist is "don't be greedy?"

Yikes! Go easy on me ;) I am just really bad at playing Bacchus so I can't stand getting him in Assault. I die a LOT.

Yeah with assassins you really don't wanna be greedy, they die in a couple of seconds, also I approve on the letting your tank attack first part :P also the most important thing is dodging the cc because that is your worst nightmare
#HOWTHEHELLDON'TYOULIKEBACCHUSNOWIMGONNARAGEBECAUSEHEISTHEBESTGODINSMITE is the manahungryness what you can't handle in assault?

TheAmazingComicBookGuy

Prominent (47)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by ElGrizz » April 29, 2013 11:40am | Report
Osoron wrote:

So the gist is "don't be greedy?

Basically. Don't go looking for kills until they make themselves available. This isn't an FPS where you're trying to get 30 kills and 0 deaths. Just focus on winning your lane and not dying. Get kills as they present themselves.

Add me to Smite! IGN: ElGrizz

Hit that +Rep, I can tell you want to...

A Fetus?! Mother of God!

ElGrizz

Prominent (28)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by TheAmazingComicBookGuy » April 29, 2013 11:46am | Report
ElGrizz wrote:

Basically. Don't go looking for kills until they make themselves available. This isn't an FPS where you're trying to get 30 kills and 0 deaths. Just focus on winning your lane and not dying. Get kills as they present themselves.

Yeah, it is kinda like this, don't force anything and only go in when you see a clear possibility and about that fps part I have to approve. I came from an fps and I have had huge problems in the beginning myself xD also if you REALLY wanna make opportunities than pick Thor, he is kinda the biggest escapist in the entire world

TheAmazingComicBookGuy

Prominent (47)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Osoron » April 29, 2013 1:46pm | Report
Okay, cool, thanks. That is a HUGE help. I come from LoL where I feel a lot of pressure to get all the kills as an assassin :)

#HOWTHEHELLDON'TYOULIKEBACCHUSNOWIMGONNARAGEBECAUSEHEISTHEBESTGODINSMITE is the manahungryness what you can't handle in assault?

I think a lot of it is I just have no idea how to be effective with him. I get CC'd out of my belch a lot, and I die a ton. The mana hungry part doesn't help ;) Maybe I'll try a different approach if I get him again. I'm still feeling out all the items and actives to see what works best for me.

Osoron

Permalink | Quote | +Rep by TheAmazingComicBookGuy » April 29, 2013 1:50pm | Report
Osoron wrote:

Okay, cool, thanks. That is a HUGE help. I come from LoL where I feel a lot of pressure to get all the kills as an assassin :)

I think a lot of it is I just have no idea how to be effective with him. I get CC'd out of my belch a lot, and I die a ton. The mana hungry part doesn't help ;) Maybe I'll try a different approach if I get him again. I'm still feeling out all the items and actives to see what works best for me.

well, maybe check out a guide on him or watch some youtube vids or streams, don't forget to +rep us because we are so amazing xD joking

TheAmazingComicBookGuy

Prominent (47)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by HiFromBuddha » April 30, 2013 4:08am | Report
Equally bad melee player offering no help but instead reading through the posts.
The top rated He Bo guide on SmiteFire!
My rather unimpressive and slowly growing anime list!
Currently watching:
    Punchline
Currently Reading:
    Utsuro no Hako to Zero Maria
    Nisekoi: False Love
    The World God Only Knows

HiFromBuddha
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (115)
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

SMITEFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new god, or fine tune your favorite SMITE gods’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 SMITEFire | All Rights Reserved

} } } } }