Smitefire logo

Join the leading SMITE community.
Create and share God Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Fortuna, Goddess of Luck and Fortune

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on SmiteFire.

Forum » God & Item Ideas » Fortuna, Goddess of Luck and Fortune 8 posts - page 1 of 1
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Subzero008 » January 28, 2014 12:19pm | Report

I decided to go for a more light-hearted interpretation of Fortuna, as the goddess of luck and fortune rather than of fate and destiny.

Fortuna is a ranged support mage, with a good poke and focused around disengaging and protection in teamfights. She also incorporates a element of chance into her design in various ways, which I feel would make her refreshing to play.

Passive: Lucky Coin Toss:
When Fortuna stands idle for more than 1 second, she begins flipping a coin every second. The state of the coin determines her passive's effect. On heads, she gains 50% critical strike chance. On tails, she gains +5 Gold per 5. In addition, Fortuna's critical hits deal 25% less damage, for 175% damage instead of 200%.

Explanation

1: Lucky Shot:
Fortuna passively gains 10/20/30/40/50% critical strike chance. When this ability is activated, Fortuna's next basic attack pierces enemies and deals 30/60/90/120/150 additional innate damage (+25% of your magical power).

Cooldown: 7 seconds
Explanation

2: Misfortunate:
Fortuna manipulates the odds to hinder her enemies. A randomized event occurs in a 13-foot circle, with a moment of warning and a visual indicator. The range is fairly long, like Suppress The Insolent.

Bull: A falling bull smashes on a 13-foot circle, mesmerizing enemies hit for 1.1/1.2/1.3/1.4/1.5 (+0.3% of your magical power) and dealing 70/110/150/190/240 damage (+30% of your magical power).

Piano: A falling piano crashes on a 13-foot circle, stunning enemies hit for 1.1/1.2/1.3/1.4/1.5 seconds (+0.1% of your magical power) and dealing 80/140/200/260/320 damage (+50% of your magical power).

Snakes: A nest of flying vipers falls down in a 13-foot circle, dealing 25/35/45/55/65(+15% of your magical power) per 0.5 seconds for two seconds. Enemies inside are slowed by 15/20/25/30/35% (+5% of your magical power) and crippled.

Cooldown: 13 seconds
Explanation

3: Fickle:
Fortuna teleports to a random location within 30 feet. If an enemy is nearby, Fortuna will not teleport within 20 feet of them, and if an ally is nearby, Fortuna will automatically teleport within 20 feet of them. Allies within 20 feet of her target location gain 20% damage reduction for 0.8/0.9/1.0/1.1/1.2 seconds.

Cooldown: 17/16/15/14/13 seconds
Explanation

4: Twist of Fate:
Fortuna warps reality to aid her allies. All allies within a 55 feet break free of CC and debuffs and gain 17/19/21/23/25% (+0.3% of your magical power) movement speed for three seconds, and all enemies within 40 feet have their damage reduced by 20% for three seconds.

Cooldown: 90 seconds
Explanation

Playstyle:

In lane, you will level your Lucky Shot first, constantly harassing with your basic attacks as your ADC farms. You will try to avoid trading, and simply wear down the target gradually. This kind of harass should counter lanes with tanks, as their killing burst would have little effect if their hunter is at half health or lower.

In a teamfight, you are most definitely not the initiatior. You leave that stuff to your bruisers. You will attempt to harass targets from range with Lucky Shot, deal your share of damage, and position yourself and peel with Misfortunate and Fickle. The positioning is especially important, to make the best use of Fickle. Your ultimate is more like a contingency plan than a game-changer.

So...what do you think?

Subzero008

Renowned (112)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Sloogz » January 28, 2014 4:08pm | Report
Can someone explain why there's so many Fortuna ideas out there? lol im so consfuzzled
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sloogz

Notable (4)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by TormentedTurnip » January 28, 2014 4:10pm | Report
The more magi in the game, the better. :D

I know you're going for uniqueness, but I don't like the idea of critical strike chance for a mage. Not one bit. In fact, I really dislike her whole kit because I hate the idea of chance having a significant effect on gameplay, even if arguably minor.

That said, she doesn't necessarily seem overpowered or out of place. But the main reason I'd never want her implemented is because I want Hel's cleanse to remain unique! First Aphrodite, then Geb. No more!!

Also, shouldn't the bull stun and the piano mesmerize, not vice-versa? :P

TormentedTurnip
<Retired Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Esteemed (96)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Subzero008 » January 28, 2014 4:14pm | Report
HAHA MORE CLEANSE IS INEVITABLE. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.

I figured crits were a part of luck and fit with the goddess in question. I tried making her physical at first, but then I kept thinking that people would build her as an ADC due to the CC in her kit, and I couldn't think of a way to counter that.

For the last bit, I remember an episode of Supernatural where one of the characters die by falling piano, and its lethality kinda stuck in my head. :/

Subzero008

Renowned (112)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by M4XiiMUS » January 28, 2014 5:04pm | Report
What if for her second ability, it was changed to act similar to Sun Wukong's dash? Having the snakes be directly at your feet, bull in the middle and piano at the farthest. Switching around the positions depending on how you like it.

M4XiiMUS

Prominent (30)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Subzero008 » January 28, 2014 5:25pm | Report
Luck is important here, not only as a theme, but as a balancing factor. If she could stun reliably for as long as of a time and in that radius, regardless of distance, she would be a bit strong.

Subzero008

Renowned (112)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Raventhor » February 4, 2014 2:30pm | Report
I'm going to write this as I read it, so take everything with a grain of salt if I contradict myself later on.

Passive with her 1: 100% crit chance? And then on activation, pierces? That's a guaranteed crit on a lot of people if you're good at aiming. I'm really really worried about that.
Expected outcome: Telkhine's, Rod of Tahuti, Demonic Grip, Polynomicon, Fatalis or Gem of Binding (expected hastened fatalis), Magi shoes. Keep coin on crit chance, max 1, crit 100% of the time.
Countered by Geb, ruins everyone else. She won't be played as support, but rather mid lane or solo lane, because no one will out-trade her if she's smart.

Blink is perfect in a solo lane. The 20 yard radius around an enemy assures your blink will be backwards. Removes chance of aggression, but if it's instantly activated, she's guaranteed to escape. Angle may differ, but with a 20 yard bump it's almost guaranteed to be backwards. This is also curious - is it always the max 30 yards, or anywhere in it? Can she theoretically teleport on top of herself?

Her AoE damage thing is odd. Snakes suck compared to others, but at least the slow, once you start ramping up on MP, end up as a half root.

Ultimate is basically Hel's cleanse, inspire, and hinder wrapped into one. Still useful as a support though. I suggest this only removes hard CC though - Hades will never be picked again if this chick becomes FOTM. The *removal* aspect compared to hel's cleanse though is useful - at least Ares isn't TOTALLY useless.

Overall, though, disregarding the NUMBERS on it, I do like her setup. However, I don't think this results in a support. It results in a mage very similar to Chang'E on release - support factors, but in itself, a very strong mage carry. Her blink is too strong solo to duo lane with someone, and her passive plus her 1's passive is way too strong to let someone else last hit. She literally always crits 100% of the time. It's too good.

EDIT: Oh and also, this is the perfect god for someone with as short an attention span as me. You really can't ever stop on Fortuna, but that's ok by me. xD
Other people will find her passive annoying to keep control of, but you don't want the pause between swaps too long or it'll be too hard to swap.
-Demolibium

Raventhor
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Eminent (158)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Subzero008 » February 4, 2014 3:11pm | Report
Raventhor wrote:

I'm going to write this as I read it, so take everything with a grain of salt if I contradict myself later on.

Passive with her 1: 100% crit chance? And then on activation, pierces? That's a guaranteed crit on a lot of people if you're good at aiming. I'm really really worried about that.
Expected outcome: Telkhine's, Rod of Tahuti, Demonic Grip, Polynomicon, Fatalis or Gem of Binding (expected hastened fatalis), Magi shoes. Keep coin on crit chance, max 1, crit 100% of the time.
Countered by Geb, ruins everyone else. She won't be played as support, but rather mid lane or solo lane, because no one will out-trade her if she's smart.
I just thought of a perfect answer, like Yasuo - Make her crits deal 175% instead of 200%. How's that work? (I tried to drastically reduce her contributions, and I'm worried if they weren't enough. It's also kind of jarring when Ymir has 70% contributions.)

Raventhor wrote:
Blink is perfect in a solo lane. The 20 yard radius around an enemy assures your blink will be backwards. Removes chance of aggression, but if it's instantly activated, she's guaranteed to escape. Angle may differ, but with a 20 yard bump it's almost guaranteed to be backwards. This is also curious - is it always the max 30 yards, or anywhere in it? Can she theoretically teleport on top of herself?
Oh yeah, she can teleport back within herself. You also bring up a good point. I'm not sure how to fix this one; her "safety" skill was the toughest skill to think off. Maybe a teleport reduction radius? A 20 foot teleport would completely restrict her teleport if an enemy is in her face.

Raventhor wrote:
Her AoE damage thing is odd. Snakes suck compared to others, but at least the slow, once you start ramping up on MP, end up as a half root.
I wish more CC-contributors were in Smite. Heck, any.

Raventhor wrote:
Ultimate is basically Hel's cleanse, inspire, and hinder wrapped into one. Still useful as a support though. I suggest this only removes hard CC though - Hades will never be picked again if this chick becomes FOTM. The *removal* aspect compared to hel's cleanse though is useful - at least Ares isn't TOTALLY useless.
Er, isn't Hades' CC a repeated CC? From TT's Hel guide, even if you cleanse or beads out, if you stay in the radius, it will keep pulling you after the cleanse duration. In fact, I think that means Hades' ult will be the one thing that this ultimate CAN'T cleanse.

Raventhor wrote:
Overall, though, disregarding the NUMBERS on it, I do like her setup. However, I don't think this results in a support. It results in a mage very similar to Chang'E on release - support factors, but in itself, a very strong mage carry. Her blink is too strong solo to duo lane with someone, and her passive plus her 1's passive is way too strong to let someone else last hit. She literally always crits 100% of the time. It's too good.

EDIT: Oh and also, this is the perfect god for someone with as short an attention span as me. You really can't ever stop on Fortuna, but that's ok by me. xD
Other people will find her passive annoying to keep control of, but you don't want the pause between swaps too long or it'll be too hard to swap.

Thank you for your commentary/review. I'll try to address some of these issues, mainly the crits, which seem to be the biggest problem. Do you have any suggestions toward the improvement of this concept?

(Funnily enough, Chang'e was a big inspiration in this, as an example of what NOT to do. I tried to avoid her repeated area damage and nasty contributions, as well as the teamfight-changing ultimate. I also wanted to avoid the stereotypical healing support. I guess the teleport was the only think that resembled her kit as a near uncounterable escape.)

Subzero008

Renowned (112)
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

SMITEFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new god, or fine tune your favorite SMITE gods’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 SMITEFire | All Rights Reserved

} } } } }