Smitefire logo

Join the leading SMITE community.
Create and share God Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Will thorns still be viable for solo in season 8?

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on SmiteFire.

Forum » General Discussion » Will thorns still be viable for solo in season 8? 7 posts - page 1 of 1

Poll Question:

Is thorns still good in season 8
Yes, thorns is still a must grab relic for solo laners.
No, solo laners will switch to a different relic now.
VOTE
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by DreamsSZN » January 25, 2021 8:23am | Report
Because thorns was just nerfed a patch or 2 ago and now it's getting nerfed again for season 8. Will thorns still do it's job or will it fall out of the meta.

If it does fall out of the meta what will replace it?
Batman

DreamsSZN

Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Big Damage » January 25, 2021 8:35am | Report
I definitely think it will still be viable but other options are able to compete. Upgraded Horrific Emblem might see some use for locking down a carry as a Solo, while reducing their damage output to give you the upper hand. Sundering Spear is very niche. Cursed Ankh can easily replace Thorns into a healing comp. Shell is more for backline peel but the upgrades block stacks have potential, maybe stacked with Hide of the Nemean Lion. Belt of Frenzy could work with teamfight initiating Solos, like Amaterasu or Nike.

The most likely options though are that people will pick up teleport glyph and Blink Rune if they think Thorns isn't worth it.

Not that I like the nerf but it's done what they wanted, put it into a spot where it doesn't outclass all of the other relics regardless of whether other relics are needed or not.

I mean I don't agree with either option on the pole to be honest. I would still go Blink and Thorns every game but now with the nerf I am more open to swapping thorns out for something else that is useful.

Big Damage
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Prominent (37)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Big Damage » January 25, 2021 8:44am | Report
I didn't even mention Purification Beads, which for the safety it provides you while diving as a tank could become a top pick up, as it already is fairly often bought.

Big Damage
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Prominent (37)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Devampi » January 25, 2021 9:10am | Report
I'm going to agree it seems other options will get more room to compete. Blink Rune is likely to stay, however, I do expect a more team fighting relic option if thorns is not picked up. I do not think teleport glyph is going to see a lot of use

Devampi
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (105)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by S7evin424 » March 4, 2021 5:32am | Report
I see fineokay picking up teleport a lot more in solo again, I guess since the map is bigger teleport for low mobility gods is not too shabby.

Thorns being nerfed is rough. A lot of gods that lack escape options seem to just get picked apart by ADCs now. Even with it upgraded lifesteal ADCs can pretty much negate the damage reflected back. It used to make ADCs stop shooting you, or I guess they never could figure that out since they complained it was OP, but now they just keep holding down the trigger and don't suffer much consequences. I wouldn't say it's completely useless especially since auto attack builds are so broken now you're likely to see auto attackers in carry, jungle, solo and maybe even mid so it can be help somewhat against a heavy AA team but it's weak.

I've actually seen solo laners getting Aegis now just to deal with ADCs when they dive but... ew. I think it needed a little nerf but this was too much.

S7evin424

Notable (2)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Devampi » March 5, 2021 8:23am | Report
I feel you get more out of shell or Horrific Emblem then torns nowadays

Devampi
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (105)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by S7evin424 » March 9, 2021 7:27pm | Report
Devampi wrote:

I feel you get more out of shell or Horrific Emblem then torns nowadays

Yeah that's been my go to relic for a lot of games. Blink, teleport, beads and horrific are usually what I get now n days. Maybe Cursed if support forgot to get it against the 3 healers on the enemy team.

S7evin424

Notable (2)
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

SMITEFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new god, or fine tune your favorite SMITE gods’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 SMITEFire | All Rights Reserved

} } } } }