Smitefire logo

Join the leading SMITE community.
Create and share God Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Why Smite Character Design Needs a Rehaul

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on SmiteFire.

Forum » General Discussion » Why Smite Character Design Needs a Rehaul 19 posts - page 2 of 2
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Subzero008 » January 12, 2014 2:03pm | Report
Raventhor wrote:

Just for the record, the Kraken is a main part in the Nordic area's mythology, but it's not solely norse, and Poseidon has ties to it.
http://greekmythology.wikia.com/wiki/The_Kraken
It's also been called 'The Beast', 'The Leviathan' (in some cultures), and more.

Anyway, I agree with some points, however. Females have little variability. I think the males aren't as diverse as you think - I see pretty much frail/weak (ne zha, loki), the classic strong (thor), and fat (pretty much just Bacchus and Zhong Kui.) But that's still more than females have. Still waiting for a completely non-humanoid type female, however. Bastet is still, more or less, human in appearance, while Sobek is completely reptilian. Arachne is decent, but still...hmm.

There was a fantastic Bastet Ring Master skin concept art that was on reddit. That is exactly how I wish Bastet would have looked like.

I'm throwing my money at the screen, but nothing is happening...

Subzero008

Renowned (112)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by MadDanny » January 12, 2014 2:38pm | Report
One of the reasons why LoL doesn't need much stuff like that is: They are the Meta MOBA. The same MOBA as everyone knows and loves to play. The creators were smart, they knew as long as they don't change to much on it they'll get the fame easily. Also they made it at the time where MOBA was being a thing.

Not like Smite which is a whole new kind of MOBA. All skill shots. No Denying. Only 2 slots for items that have active skills etc.

So really they can't afford being in the dark to much. If they went to the normal bird eye view MOBA they might just be fine today. They might even garner more attention because the God concept. But they took a risk and made it 3rd person. Heck. Until last year I never heard of Smite till some youtuber played it. Last year mind you. And the game was released way back then. 2011 I think?
This is my signature. It is full of vowels and consonants.
In-game name: MadDany

Owner of: SmiteFireGaming clan. Open for our SmiteFire community members
Pm or look for our thread(I'd prefer if you'd go to our threadsince I don't online that often.)
A.K.A.The Mad Priest

MadDanny

Prominent (34)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Subzero008 » January 12, 2014 2:46pm | Report
MadDanny wrote:

One of the reasons why LoL doesn't need much stuff like that is: They are the Meta MOBA. The same MOBA as everyone knows and loves to play. The creators were smart, they knew as long as they don't change to much on it they'll get the fame easily. Also they made it at the time where MOBA was being a thing.

Not like Smite which is a whole new kind of MOBA. All skill shots. No Denying. Only 2 slots for items that have active skills etc.

So really they can't afford being in the dark to much. If they went to the normal bird eye view MOBA they might just be fine today. They might even garner more attention because the God concept. But they took a risk and made it 3rd person. Heck. Until last year I never heard of Smite till some youtuber played it. Last year mind you. And the game was released way back then. 2011 I think?

How does the format of the game affect the way they advertise it? Are you insinuating that Smite should be hiding the third-person format? That Smite is unpopular? I believe it is the third-most popular MOBA, just under HoN.

Also, your points make little sense. League of Legends became popular for streamlining DoTa while still retaining everything that people loved about, while innovating and designing some really cool stuff. Not for "being a MOBA when MOBAs were a thing."

Seriously, 3rd person should be and is a selling point, not a detriment! The main reason why people swap from LoL to Smite is that Smite is way more different than any other MOBA. Saying that Smite needs boobies to compete is like comparing it to that ****ty "League of Angels" game.

Subzero008

Renowned (112)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Dark Jaw » January 12, 2014 3:06pm | Report
Subzero008 wrote:

There was a fantastic Bastet Ring Master skin concept art that was on reddit. That is exactly how I wish Bastet would have looked like.

I'm throwing my money at the screen, but nothing is happening...

So do I, my friend... so do I. Bastet needs a remodel so badly. If she gets a good remodel, like this image suggests, I would play her totally.

Dark Jaw

Prominent (44)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Ghraf » January 12, 2014 3:32pm | Report
They're gods. We can assume they're meant to look nearly peak in form and not like your average person. Even statues of them in real life were made to depict them as "perfect" physically, both the male and females. It only makes sense, because no one would want to worship a god that they think is less than they are in any way.

On the subject "scantily clad" women, that's not really a problem in Smite. The boob jiggle is the only part even moderately suggestive. Look at the clothes girls wear on a regular basis these days and it's almost the same level of skin. On top of that, goddesses are meant to look attractive because they're divine, so having say, Aphrodite, the goddess of copulation, look sexy is just the nature of what she represents. Even if they don't represent sex, you can still assume they'll be made to be attractive in some way since, like their male counterparts, they're meant to be perfect.

also, please god no, no anime character models, please.

Ghraf

Memorable (13)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by MadDanny » January 12, 2014 3:45pm | Report
There are some. People who are only used to one game mode. Like very simple minded people. For example. Where I live, Philippines. It's one of countries that the only most played games are: HoN, LoL, Dota and Dota 2. Which takes to my point: People are more used to the birds eye view rather than 3rd person MOBA, it's their comfort zone. Not like us "Real" gamers where there is little prejudice.

And Smite is trying to catch THOSE kind of gamers attention. Because half the world gaming community, MOBA is filled with players like that. So they need that extra advertising trick. LoL on the other hand doesn't need that much. Anyone can search a gameplay in youtube. They search LoL and they see it's played like any other MOBA. So obviously they will try it. But search Smite and they see a WHOLE new game. Away from their comfort zone. They see it has a character with 4 skills like any MOBA. But the 3rd P is to different for them on an MOBA.

I'm not sure if your fully aware of it but I am. Especially since I live here. There are 2 kinds of players in the world: Us, Which we just play anything. the other which they just play what people tell them too, so it's like follow the flock thing. The latter is hard to grab attention. So how Smite is advertising with the boobs and such is to "help" garner more attention towards that kind of audience.

I'm not sure if I made my first point clear because I am terrible at explaining. But I hope I kind of cleared things up with this one lol.
This is my signature. It is full of vowels and consonants.
In-game name: MadDany

Owner of: SmiteFireGaming clan. Open for our SmiteFire community members
Pm or look for our thread(I'd prefer if you'd go to our threadsince I don't online that often.)
A.K.A.The Mad Priest

MadDanny

Prominent (34)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Swampmist1142 » January 12, 2014 3:49pm | Report
it's the "People Hate Change" concept, correct? Because yeah, I agree that would be a big problem, but now that smite has been around for a while it has cleared up quite a bit, so yeah we need more normally-clad models.

Swampmist1142

Remarkable (8)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Subzero008 » January 12, 2014 5:11pm | Report
Ghraf wrote:

They're gods. We can assume they're meant to look nearly peak in form and not like your average person. Even statues of them in real life were made to depict them as "perfect" physically, both the male and females. It only makes sense, because no one would want to worship a god that they think is less than they are in any way.

On the subject "scantily clad" women, that's not really a problem in Smite. The boob jiggle is the only part even moderately suggestive. Look at the clothes girls wear on a regular basis these days and it's almost the same level of skin. On top of that, goddesses are meant to look attractive because they're divine, so having say, Aphrodite, the goddess of copulation, look sexy is just the nature of what she represents. Even if they don't represent sex, you can still assume they'll be made to be attractive in some way since, like their male counterparts, they're meant to be perfect.

also, please god no, no anime character models, please.
Your argument is very flawed.

Firstly, I already told you in the original post: "Peak of physical condition and beauty" does not mean huge breasts. People have different body types. Saying that the epitome of beauty and health is only one kind of beauty and health is very insulting.

Secondly, you picked the goddess most suited for your point. Aphrodite, the ONLY god of beauty, besaides Freya.

Thirdly, you repeatedly stated that the reason why this game has only ONE apparent design of goddess, is because the goddess in Smite need to be perfect. I have one response to that:

SAYING THAT ONLY BUSTY WOMEN WITH NO MUSCLES ARE PERFECT IS THE MOST INSULTING THING I HAVE EVER HEARD OF.

What, so since Aphrodite is the model of perfect female beauty, I guess women with muscles are just in second place, right? The soft, curved female model is clearly the epitome of perfection, and there is no other form of beauty that compares! /sarcasm

Also, if you honestly think you can even compare Smite's goddesses to the women around you, you obviously haven't seen a woman in a long time.

Subzero008

Renowned (112)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Subzero008 » January 12, 2014 5:15pm | Report
tl;dr version: There are multiple kinds of beauty and perfection, for both male and female. Smite has multiple male models, but this kind of representation is not seen for the goddesses.

And if you say only one kind of perfection and beauty exists, well, I disagree.

Subzero008

Renowned (112)
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

SMITEFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new god, or fine tune your favorite SMITE gods’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 SMITEFire | All Rights Reserved

} } } } }