Smitefire logo

Join the leading SMITE community.
Create and share God Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Why do People Refuse to Surrender in Casual Matches?

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on SmiteFire.

Forum » General Discussion » Why do People Refuse to Surrender in Casual Matches? 15 posts - page 1 of 2
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Pizzarugi » August 28, 2013 11:10am | Report
I really don't understand the reasoning behind refusing to surrender in a game, regardless if its casual or ranked. Why do people persist on playing? Do they think the tables will turn all of a sudden? Do they think the extremely low favor/worshiper gain on defeat is worth dragging the fight till the end?

Yes yes, I understand the whole 'we're playing for fun' motto in a casual game, but when you know your team is getting crushed to oblivion with your team having half as many kills as the enemy, your enemy having 100+ more arena tickets than you, or your enemy team having all their towers still standing while you're left with barely-alive phoenixes, it turns from a fun game to a humiliating waste of time. And when the sensible player finally does call a vote to surrender, the landslide of votes either turn out to be 'no' or the players simply refuse to vote altogether.

When it reaches that point, its just easier to simply AFK in the match. The team has obviously lost, you helping to fight merely postpones an inevitable defeat. Not to mention it hurts your favorite god's KDR to keep fighting and consequently dying. Sure you get reported, but from what I read, Hi-Rez doesn't distribute punishments unless you rack up a huge number of reports on you in less than a day or something of that sort. It might also hurt your goodwill, but from what I've seen, goodwill hardly gives you favor worth anything anyway.

Sorry for the rant, I'm just getting a little unnerved that people insist on wasting time in a match clearly destined to end in defeat 'just for fun' or for the paltry sum of favor/worshipers. I've seen more people in LoL understand when the game was over and vote to end the match than in Smite.
IGN: Pizzarugi (Add me if you like joust, assault, siege or arena)
Total Diamonds: 9 (Latest: Ymir, Cabrakan, Bellona)
Favorite Gods: Ah Muzen Cab, Bastet, Loki
Favorite Roles: Carry, Assassin
Least Favorite Roles: Tank

Looking to be great at laning as Ah Muzen Cab? Check out this guide! It was the runner up for best hunter guide in the season 2 contest.

Pizzarugi

Remarkable (8)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Romanians » August 28, 2013 11:16am | Report
Because people are surrending way too quickly !

I mean , last match we had just 20 tickets behind the enemy team and some random team mate started a surrender vote .Why ? And in the end we won the game .And not only this match something like this happened .

Anyway ,I just want to play , why interrupt the current game and start another one when I can just finish it no matter if I win or lose . You never know how a match could end , especially in Conquest or Domination .

Romanians

Established (17)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Daheri » August 28, 2013 11:34am | Report
The biggest reason is mostly that the surrender vote is typically made at a point where your team still has a chance at winning if they pull themselves together. The only time I vote yes, is when my TEAM is so bad that they can't turn the table. I could care less about being behind 100 tickets; I've seen teams pull themselves together and overcome those odds. So most of the time I will vote no to surrender, but if I'm 100% certain my ****py team can't get out of the hole they dug for themselves, then I'll vote yes.

Daheri

Permalink | Quote | +Rep by cowboydan840 » August 28, 2013 12:12pm | Report
They are Galaxy Questers. They feel it's some sort of Honor to finish a game completely.

cowboydan840

Notable (2)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Zerosaviour » August 28, 2013 6:55pm | Report
Sigh. Not one of my matches lasted till 20 minutes. I went from a few days ago, having 30+ min matches to ones ending in half the time.

Zerosaviour

Notable (1)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by StrikeF » August 28, 2013 7:29pm | Report
It's not always right to surrender when your team still owns a chance to win.
Sometimes refuse to surrender and struggle a bit will lead to a victory

StrikeF

Permalink | Quote | +Rep by RevanClaw » August 29, 2013 2:08am | Report
I played a game as Ao Kuang mid, where I was doing okay, had a couple of kills on mid and died from one gank.

A fwe players in my team had lost a few and were feeling bad and were like "we can't win, just surrender pls - can't pull this back" and all that kind of rubbish!
We were about 5/6 kills behind with a 4k gold difference - it's only about 1 tier of an item!!!!

People need to stop this stupid thing - just surrendering for falling slightly behind! It's a team game and if people work together wins can be obtained!! I have fun from coming from behind in a game to win, it's a challenge and fun!

In the game I mentioned above, I stole fire giant buff - about 10 mins after the first surrender vote - with a spirit tempest and then our team won the next team fight, pushed down middle lane and won the game!
^^ If i wasn't Ao Kuang I couldn't do this, he's the only god I'm actually useful at!! Haha!

RevanClaw

Notable (4)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by MadDanny » August 29, 2013 6:36am | Report
The last game I played. It seemed like we're losing. They even got fire buff. Someone wanted to give up but we didn't. And in the end. We won. If it's a long game you shouldn't surrender so soon. Especially if it reached 30 mins long. That's when everyone is mostly 20 so its an even game and it could go either way.
This is my signature. It is full of vowels and consonants.
In-game name: MadDany

Owner of: SmiteFireGaming clan. Open for our SmiteFire community members
Pm or look for our thread(I'd prefer if you'd go to our threadsince I don't online that often.)
A.K.A.The Mad Priest

MadDanny

Prominent (34)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by RazeMage » August 29, 2013 8:23am | Report
You know LoL right?

Have you ever seen a katarina ult at the her nexus and turns the tide? Have you ever seen a group get killed with a tricky Nami? If not, you don't know the meaning of not surrendering

RazeMage
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (58)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by TheAmazingComicBookGuy » August 29, 2013 8:49am | Report
I only surrendered when I didn't feel like I could carry those nawbs to victory, but some people are just unreasonable about it and either never surrender or always surrender. Both of these are bad players, honestly. One thinks that he is a holy knight who needs to stand and fight the other one is a looser who quits when there is the slightest chance of loosing :p

TheAmazingComicBookGuy

Prominent (47)
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

SMITEFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new god, or fine tune your favorite SMITE gods’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 SMITEFire | All Rights Reserved

} } } } }