Smitefire logo

Join the leading SMITE community.
Create and share God Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Overpowered vs Broken?

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on SmiteFire.

Forum » General Discussion » Overpowered vs Broken? 17 posts - page 1 of 2
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Raventhor » December 11, 2013 6:00pm | Report
Does anyone want to formally explain the difference between this, since it's commonly stated there's a distinct difference between the two but has never been specifically explained?

My understanding was they were always near exchangeable, but Overpowered has to do with numbers (E.G. scaling on Mercury's Steroid) while Broken has to do with a kit (E.G. Chang'E/Neith have too much utility), meaning Overpowered is easy to patch while Broken has to involve a rework.

Anyone care to correct me if that's inaccurate?
-Demolibium

Raventhor
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Eminent (158)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by TormentedTurnip » December 11, 2013 6:06pm | Report
You pretty much have it down; broken is when a skill/kit needs a redesign, whereas overpowered is when the values simply need to be toned down.

TormentedTurnip
<Retired Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Esteemed (96)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Phil725 » December 11, 2013 6:13pm | Report
I've seen it used that way before, but I've also seen them used as extents: There are always going to OP characters, that's just how games with a lot of characters work; some are better than others, and some are top tier. In relation to the whole cast, the top tier characters are overpowered, but you don't necessarily need to play them in every game. A character who is so OP that they 'need' picked or banned in every game is broken though. Guan Yu is OP, Chang'e is broken.

Personally, I call characters like Chang'e and Arachne problematic instead of broken since the multiple meanings make it confusing unless you qualify everything you say. Problematic characters have kits that make them super strong whenever their numbers are high enough to make them viable. That either leaves them as trash or too strong, with a very small in between.

'OP' and 'broken' are thrown around so often that you're just better off using different words or explaining yourself if you're making a serious point.

Phil725

Remarkable (5)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by ShinjiEvangelio » December 13, 2013 4:05am | Report
I can agree on what OP and broken are but You're giving wrong examples. Neith is broken? Arachne's kit is super strong...? I totally can't agree with that.

ShinjiEvangelio

Notable (1)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Silv3rX » December 13, 2013 5:20am | Report
Easy example :

Let's create a new god and call him Silver, there are 2 versions of Silver one is broken one is overpowered.

Broken Silver :

Every ability basically stuns for a second and does 500 true damage

OP Silver :

Every ability does 500 true damage
The Moba King

Silv3rX
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (53)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Talenhiem » December 13, 2013 7:37am | Report
As far as I see it, "Overpowered" is used to describe something that is blatantly better then "balanced" or "normal" gods. Let's take a "normal" mid, Eset, and pit her against an "overpowered" mid, Agni. I think we know who wins here.

"broken" can mean two things: as a synonym for "overpowered", or to say that the god is actually broken, like a broken toy. It may still work, but not the way you want it to, and may not be bad, either. Chang'e is broken: a support that the community broke, and then used as a mage. HiRez, trying to fix it, introduces more mage-like things to her, to follow that path. That leaves us with a half-broken, quite overpowered character. The only solution here is to throw the old toy away to buy a new one: or, a mage rework.

Both need something done about them.

Talenhiem

Prominent (33)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Raventhor » December 13, 2013 10:08am | Report
@Shinji, if the definitions are right, a lot of people would consider Neith broken. She has a damaging heal, a damaging backflip that leaves a weave and reduces attack damage, a waveclear, fast traveling root, which if it hits a weave roots everyone in the area, and a global ult that stuns any target it hits, and will *always* hit a target unless invulnerability is used.

She has an escape, harass, sustain, CC, map presence, an enemy ADC debuff....arguably the only thing she doesn't have is increased mobility, but her safety is good enough.

Also, Arachne since the buffs she's gotten is pretty strong. Her ult is wider and easier to hit, her poison scaling was buffed slightly, and her spiders...something was buffed on them, I can't remember what. I'm not necessarily agreeing that she's overpowered, but it'd be flawed to not accept how strong she is.
-Demolibium

Raventhor
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Eminent (158)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by UnknownPandr » December 13, 2013 10:14am | Report
You tell'em Raven!

But anyway you seem to have it down. A thing I do is I say don't play broken gods, but you can play op gods all you want. xD

UnknownPandr

Prominent (35)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Phil725 » December 13, 2013 12:26pm | Report
Raventhor wrote:

@Shinji, if the definitions are right, a lot of people would consider Neith broken. She has a damaging heal, a damaging backflip that leaves a weave and reduces attack damage, a waveclear, fast traveling root, which if it hits a weave roots everyone in the area, and a global ult that stuns any target it hits, and will *always* hit a target unless invulnerability is used.

She has an escape, harass, sustain, CC, map presence, an enemy ADC debuff....arguably the only thing she doesn't have is increased mobility, but her safety is good enough.

Also, Arachne since the buffs she's gotten is pretty strong. Her ult is wider and easier to hit, her poison scaling was buffed slightly, and her spiders...something was buffed on them, I can't remember what. I'm not necessarily agreeing that she's overpowered, but it'd be flawed to not accept how strong she is.

This is why using 'broken' and 'OP' doesn't really mean anything from post to post; Neith is nowhere near broken, and she's not even really overpowered. Anhur, Art and Cupid have better kill potential in lane, and Apollo has a better global presence. She's safest in lane, but that alone doesn't really mean much. She's probably the easiest to play given her kit, but calling that 'broken' just clouds the picture. She's very close to in line with other ADCs. She gets a lot more effective when you can coordinate her ult perfectly, but that's the exception rather than the rule.

Arachne is broken because she forces the enemy team to play differently than any other god. If you don't collapse on her to protect your jungle, you're jungler is gonna fall way behind, and you're going to lose the game. In solo queue where there isn't much communication and coordination, that's game breaking. There's a reason that she always gets nerfed for pub stomping too much.

Phil725

Remarkable (5)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Raventhor » December 13, 2013 2:39pm | Report
You might be the only person who thinks Neith is in line with other gods, mostly because I listed an insane amount of utility AND kill potential (note that no other ADC has a root, disregarding Artemis's trap, and any stun they have is situational) she has. She's more powerful than any other ADC, and pretty much everyone here would agree. They might accept the 'triumvirate' of ADC's moreso, that is, Neith Apollo and Anhur, but Neith is always going to be at LEAST tied for first.

Oh, and Apollo's map presence forces him to leave lane, which just allows free reign for his opponents to gain farm and wreck the tower. If he doesn't get a kill, he's FAR behind. If you play league, that's why Shen players usually fall so far behind - if they even remotely see the apollo leaving lane, they back off. Sure, the gank can be successful, but even then it might STILL not outweigh the farm he's losing. Neith can be an impact even without leaving lane.

And I'm pretty sure I mentioned that Arachne was buffed several times recently, not nerfed... the only real nerf she got hit with recently is her cripple being removed.

Anyway, Neith is completely near, if not completely, broken according to the definition we, again, agreed on. Half the people who have been on this site for a long time still complain (justifiably) about her, specifically Jararo.
-Demolibium

Raventhor
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Eminent (158)
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

SMITEFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new god, or fine tune your favorite SMITE gods’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 SMITEFire | All Rights Reserved

} } } } }