Smitefire logo

Join the leading SMITE community.
Create and share God Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Overpowered vs Broken?

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on SmiteFire.

Forum » General Discussion » Overpowered vs Broken? 17 posts - page 2 of 2
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by UnknownPandr » December 13, 2013 3:05pm | Report
Spoken like a champ. ;o

UnknownPandr

Prominent (35)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Phil725 » December 13, 2013 4:37pm | Report
Raventhor wrote:

You might be the only person who thinks Neith is in line with other gods, mostly because I listed an insane amount of utility AND kill potential (note that no other ADC has a root, disregarding Artemis's trap, and any stun they have is situational) she has. She's more powerful than any other ADC, and pretty much everyone here would agree. They might accept the 'triumvirate' of ADC's moreso, that is, Neith Apollo and Anhur, but Neith is always going to be at LEAST tied for first.

Oh, and Apollo's map presence forces him to leave lane, which just allows free reign for his opponents to gain farm and wreck the tower. If he doesn't get a kill, he's FAR behind. If you play league, that's why Shen players usually fall so far behind - if they even remotely see the apollo leaving lane, they back off. Sure, the gank can be successful, but even then it might STILL not outweigh the farm he's losing. Neith can be an impact even without leaving lane.

And I'm pretty sure I mentioned that Arachne was buffed several times recently, not nerfed... the only real nerf she got hit with recently is her cripple being removed.

Anyway, Neith is completely near, if not completely, broken according to the definition we, again, agreed on. Half the people who have been on this site for a long time still complain (justifiably) about her, specifically Jararo.

Half the people on the site also voted that meditation was a good active, so forgive me for not going by popular opinion.

What's the agreed definition of broken though? My whole point is that people use 'broken' to describe anything from game breaking to slightly good to completely overpowered. It doesn't really mean anything since it's so overused as a term. Does broken mean 'easy to play' now?

Neith is broken like Ares is broken; they're easy to play and stomp at lower levels because of it. Compare Neith's kill potential in lane to someone like Artemis: Sobek flings the enemy ADC, Neith roots him, does some damage, he escapes. Art catches him in a trap, unleashes Tusky, pops her steroid, kills him, then moves on to the support if they tried to help. The difference is that Art has to be careful about positioning because if the jungler shows up, she can't just backflip away.

She can get assists or kills across the map from her ult, but a lot of times it'll just go to waste if you're not coordinating. Why is that better than Cupid's ult, which is a guaranteed kill or beads in your lane? Apollo ult vs Neith ult is debatable, but I'd take Apollo's split pushing capabilities late game over Neith's gank potential early to mid. Apollo is just as safe in lane as Neith though...

I think that OP3 stuff is a little outdated tbh, kind of like when people call Poseidon and Ra top tier mids. Art and Cupid kept getting buffed, and they're both super dangerous in the current meta. Art for one is helped out a lot by Eye of Providence. It's really hard to cleanly gank the duo lane.

The Arachne thing was just my example of a game breaking character. I wasn't referring to anyone else's post with that.

Edit: I'm not meaning to argue Neith vs Anhur vs Art or whatever, just making the case that there are reasons to go with all ADCs except AMC at the moment. If you don't trust your support or jungler, Neith is probably a good pick. If you have a Sobek with you who you know is good though, you're wasting a big lane advantage if you go Neith. There's nothing broken about that.

Phil725

Remarkable (5)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Raventhor » December 13, 2013 4:49pm | Report
Poseidon IS a top tier mid, lol.

Anyway, You agreed with me in the original post that broken is someone who's KIT is overpowered, so tuning is not a possibility for nerfing.

And they won't get away from a sobek fling into knockup into root. If they do, the Neith didn't land enough auto attacks, and it's her fault. Just because she doesn't do as much pure damage, doesn't mean she's a weaker laner. Artemis has no built in sustain or escape, neith will CRUSH artemis in lane.

A couple things, by the way.
Meditation IS a good active, just not necessarily the best.
Neith is accepted to be a very good ADC WITH appropriate supporting details. Meditiation is hard to talk a lot about, but people have listed SO many reasons why Neith is 'broken', time and time again. There's a reason she is the #2 god picked OVERALL. Not even just in ADC, but overall.

Well, we've pretty much exhausted our points, I believe. I personally don't have anything left to offer in terms of debate, so I'll just be repeating myself. To stop myself from turning into an arguer instead of a debater, I'll take my leave :)
-Demolibium

Raventhor
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Eminent (158)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Phil725 » December 13, 2013 5:05pm | Report
Raventhor wrote:

Poseidon IS a top tier mid, lol.

Anyway, You agreed with me in the original post that broken is someone who's KIT is overpowered, so tuning is not a possibility for nerfing.

And they won't get away from a sobek fling into knockup into root. If they do, the Neith didn't land enough auto attacks, and it's her fault. Just because she doesn't do as much pure damage, doesn't mean she's a weaker laner. Artemis has no built in sustain or escape, neith will CRUSH artemis in lane.

A couple things, by the way.
Meditation IS a good active, just not necessarily the best.
Neith is accepted to be a very good ADC WITH appropriate supporting details. Meditiation is hard to talk a lot about, but people have listed SO many reasons why Neith is 'broken', time and time again. There's a reason she is the #2 god picked OVERALL. Not even just in ADC, but overall.

Well, we've pretty much exhausted our points, I believe. I personally don't have anything left to offer in terms of debate, so I'll just be repeating myself. To stop myself from turning into an arguer instead of a debater, I'll take my leave :)

Poseidon is really outclassed. He Bo can outdamage the Kraken with his 3 > 1 combo, and that's guaranteed damage opposed to Pos' ult, which will just get aegised. He can still succeed, but he's almost a troll/comfort pick only in ranked at this point. The power creep on mages is real.

I won't get into it here since it's off topic, but there's really nothing good about meditation. It's a good tool to help with learning the game, but I wish it just got deleted off the client once you hit level 30 :/

We can agree to disagree, but I'm saying that Neith's utility is offset by the fact that she doesn't do as much damage as others in her role. Sure it's kind of silly that her 2 debuffs attack speed, but it's not like she's Chang'e, chunking you for half your health bar while making her entire minion wave/team tanky, then healing everyone. Neith's burst is really bad (compared to every other ADC,) and burst is a big part of an ADC's killing potential. It's not utility = broken, it's utility + no weakness = broken. If Neith's autos did more damage than anyone else to the point that she could kill faster than Art she'd be super broken. Neith's at risk of being broken as long as she has high utility, but she's not there atm.

Neith definitely doesn't crush Art in lane either. Art is arguably the best duelist in the game. Sobek/Neith can probably 2v1 her, but rooting Art after a fling isn't going to do anything if a boar + Bacchus ult are coming in return.

Again, I'm not arguing that Neith is good or bad, just that she has weaknesses. She's great at lower levels 'and' really good in a tournament setting, so she should be picked a lot. Stats that factor in all levels are always going to be biased towards certain gods though. Neith is one of those.

Phil725

Remarkable (5)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Ghraf » December 13, 2013 10:08pm | Report
TL;DR.

IMO, broken is when a god requires very little skill, tactics, or basic understanding of the game in order to excel, or have a combination of abilities that makes them able to counter every type of threat with no real solid counter-play to themselves. They are either nearly untouchable for other "non-broken" things or have some form of ability that makes them dangerous to everything else around them and the mere presence of them can be used as area-denial. (A little outdated of an example: Chang'e has a huge stun, heal, and protections, as well as damage, for instance.)

Overpowered is when a god will come out with significant advantages to other gods in the long run, but also on level-by-level terms, and not necessarily in every area. It tends to be "overpowered" in one area and can still be crippled in some way and may require a certain amount of skill to actually perform correctly. I've seen numerous people use overpowered builds in other games I play but they suck because they have no idea how to properly employ those builds, for example. ( Mercury and Agni, for example.)

Basically: Broken cannot be countered in any other way than to simply brute force them through sheer numbers, and sometimes not even that will work. Overpowered has counters and operates like any other god, except that it always feels like it's a level above others in its given area.

Ghraf

Memorable (13)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Sunfall » December 14, 2013 1:08am | Report
To define broken, there are actually two meanings of it.

The first one, which is often confused with overpowered, is basically when a character (in the case of SMITE, a god) is so powerful compared to everyone else, that their presence is game-breaking in of itself, hence why we call them "broken". It is not exclusive to easy-to-use characters, as even ones who require a great amount of skill could be defined as broken once mastered (A good example would be Hel back in 2012). But the general idea is that if a character vastly exceeds combined amounts of power, survivability, utility, etc. well beyond the balanced characters, the game can end up being overcentralized around them due to the unfair amount of advantages they have over everyone else. Chang'e is typically regarded as broken because of she has that ludicrous combination of power, survivability, and utility to the point that games are often centered around her. Mercury and Zeus, in good hands, are broken because of their sheer overwhelming power, combined with their escapes.

Then there's the other definition of broken, which refers to flawed design. While a character who is beyond overpowered could be considered flawed design, a character who is horribly underpowered to the point of being unusable could also be considered broken. By this definition, the character is broken because they generally perform at a level far below average, or even underpowered characters. Often, it's a case of their kits lacking proper synergy, skills that might contradict the character's stats or role, or their design simply doesn't fit in with the direction of the game. Good examples of these types of broken characters in SMITE include Vulcan (bad kit synrgery) and Anubis (poor design in the current SMITE).
Waiting on a good new MOBA, please.

Sunfall
<Veteran>

Prominent (29)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by ICEN » December 14, 2013 1:44am | Report
Op is when you are the original poster of a thread and broken is what dishes are when dropped.

That about sums it up here

ICEN

Prominent (41)

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

SMITEFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new god, or fine tune your favorite SMITE gods’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 SMITEFire | All Rights Reserved

} } } } }