Smitefire logo

Join the leading SMITE community.
Create and share God Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

League: Meta strict place?

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on SmiteFire.

Forum » General Discussion » League: Meta strict place? 10 posts - page 1 of 1
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by MadDanny » December 9, 2013 8:12pm | Report
Just wondering if you guys ALWAYS follow the norm. Or want to mix things up a bit in ranked.
This is my signature. It is full of vowels and consonants.
In-game name: MadDany

Owner of: SmiteFireGaming clan. Open for our SmiteFire community members
Pm or look for our thread(I'd prefer if you'd go to our threadsince I don't online that often.)
A.K.A.The Mad Priest

MadDanny

Prominent (34)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Raventhor » December 9, 2013 8:21pm | Report
You generally should follow the norm, because there's a reason the norm is in place. It's the most effective way to perform in a game. If you are able to form a counter-norm, it may be productive, but let me show an example.
The norm is 1-1-2-jungle
Another is 2-1-2 no jungle.
This counters the solo lane, but falls off late game since experience and gold is shared in the duo-short lane, and the jungle is run by a single person. Additionally, no ganks can occur without someone obviously missing, leading to a safe laning phase for the 1-1-2-1.

If you mean via picks, generally if you don't follow the meta, you'll be missing a role that's desperately needed.

You *can* go out of the norm, but it usually has heavy shortcomings.
-Demolibium

Raventhor
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Eminent (158)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by UnknownPandr » December 9, 2013 8:22pm | Report
It's not that strick, but people have very high expectations. A jungle Athena is op, remember that in Ranked. c;

UnknownPandr

Prominent (35)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by BestMinionEver » December 10, 2013 6:44am | Report
Jungle Athena/ Hercules/ Odin/ He Bo etc etc isn't "not the meta", just stuff you don't see in casuals that much.

Stuff that isn't meta is going Ra support, going support and mage in the duo lane, going solo in the long lane, not having a jungler, having two junglers etc.

When it comes to ranked, you follow the meta or at least talk about what outside the meta you want to do. If everyone is okei with it have fun, but you are most likely going to be blamed if you lose (which is pretty likely) :P
DO NOT INSTALOCK Bacchus JUNGLE! That's asking for reports ;)
IGN: Marki

Jungle & Support main.

Casually tryharding ranked now and again.

Make fun of my bad plays on Twitch ;)
Is only pixels, why you haf to be mad?

BestMinionEver
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (69)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Thiel » December 10, 2013 7:34am | Report
The obligatory meta is as followed (on average):

1 Jungle
1 Solo
1 Mid
1 Long - ADC
1 Long - Tank

Usually you are expected to pick the top tier gods for above places. And ideally a team has 2 or 3 magical and 2 or 3 physical. This to ensure you can't easily be counter built.

But it isn't unheard of solo's going mid or jungle going duo lane for over 5 minutes before actually jungling. Although they are not in the usual meta, they are still potent tactis when performed well.
That's just my 2 cents.

Oy! Give me some privacy.

Thiel

Memorable (12)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Creationism » December 10, 2013 11:37am | Report
Thiel wrote:

The obligatory meta is as followed (on average):

1 Jungle
1 Solo
1 Mid
1 Long - ADC
1 Long - Tank

Usually you are expected to pick the top tier gods for above places. And ideally a team has 2 or 3 magical and 2 or 3 physical. This to ensure you can't easily be counter built.

But it isn't unheard of solo's going mid or jungle going duo lane for over 5 minutes before actually jungling. Although they are not in the usual meta, they are also not as required as above said.

I actually like to duo as a jungler until level 5. It tends to **** with enemy teams, they're always calling missing and being super defensive for about two minutes, and just when they relax I pop out and eat their souls. It also lets my team push. Additionally, if their solo isn't being super careful, its easy early kills into a snowball for our solo.

Creationism

Notable (4)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Ryvvik » December 11, 2013 11:24am | Report
I think it makes the most sense to do the meta in league because everyone should know it and be on the same page. Trying to do something crazy or different involves discussing with your teammates to make it work. Otherwise your team isn't functioning as one and the game falls apart.

Ryvvik

Remarkable (7)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Phil725 » December 11, 2013 1:07pm | Report
I see two separate issues here; there's going against/ignoring the meta, and there's countering the meta.

If you're the jungler and you see that the other team's 2v2 destroys you in the first two minutes, don't blindly go into the solo lane and sit under tower getting poked until you can't contest the first mid camps. Instead, try ganking mid around 1 minute, then steal the enemy jungler's red/speed and double back for mid camps. That's countering the standard meta, which has the jungler sit in solo lane for the first two minutes. You know what the meta is, and you're actively doing something to beat it.

Playing a character who's subpar for that role like a mage in support or Vulcan in anything is ignoring the meta. Vulcan isn't played for a reason. There are undiscovered strengths of characters right now, but you're opening yourself up to a lot of vitriol if you're trying to find them in ranked and playing sub-optimally while you do it. There's a reason a lot of that stuff is found by players who are good enough to get away with whatever.

Phil725

Remarkable (5)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by JoeRobertson » December 17, 2013 1:57pm | Report
It's definatly got tighter...

JoeRobertson

Permalink | Quote | +Rep by ShinjiEvangelio » December 18, 2013 8:03am | Report
Well if You want to experiment with META You can do that in Casual or (what's better) in conquest premade so You don't ruin anyone game. People want to have some fun and play good games and You shouldn't ruin it because You just want to experiment or try new things ;)

ShinjiEvangelio

Notable (1)

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

SMITEFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new god, or fine tune your favorite SMITE gods’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 SMITEFire | All Rights Reserved

} } } } }