Smitefire logo

Join the leading SMITE community.
Create and share God Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Hou Yi God Tier to me but not to others?

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on SmiteFire.

Forum » General Discussion » Hou Yi God Tier to me but not to others? 12 posts - page 1 of 2
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by ICEN » May 7, 2015 6:38pm | Report
I promise you that I am not joking or pulling your leg, Hou Yi is almost God tier to me when I play him. I want to know why everyone has him at the bottom of the tier list when he is so freaking good. He does not deserve the low tier people put him in based on myself using him.

I want to make this thread about Hou Yi and why to me he is almost God Tier [exaggerating a bit] but not that much.

From what I seen

A: Barely anyone plays him
B: People claim he is low tier
C: People clam he does nothing good
D: So most people do not pick him + Look past him + say he is nothing

Therefor becomes underused/underrated severely/look at as low tier (like super low tier)

This is my experience with Hou Yi

When Hou Yi was first released I thought he was cool looking so I wanted to play him. I played a few games with him. I sucked badly with him but still kept playing a few matches with him. I reached a point where I asked myself "Why would I want to use a god who has to bounce things off walls for damage when I can just pick a God with easy abilities" so after dying a few more times and having that thought go through my head I just gave up on him and went back to playing other Gods, I then stopped playing Smite for a few months.

When I got back into Smite and Played him when I came back my opinion on him did a 180

Him and Anhur are my two best hunters, Hou Yi is really close to pushing my Anhur away because of how much I am getting used to playing Hou Yi, its almost as other hunters feel weaker when I'm not playing him now.

Let me explain

Hou Yi's stun is superior to Anhur's stun in my opinion. I love Anhur and I crush people with Anhur ever since I came back, I been going like 22-2 with him in my past games. Hou Yi's stun is far better than Anhur's impale to me. When playing Anhur you have to be aggressive and impale people to walls, they are not dumb enough to just allow you to get angles on them all the time which makes consistent stuns harder.

Hou Yi can literally get consistent stuns better than Anhur because once you mark a enemy all you have to do is snipe them and it does not even have to be off a wall. If they are running in a strait line you can literally just STUN them, with Anhur this is impossible, with Apollo this is impossible, with Rama this is impossible, with Xblanque this is impossible ect. Anhur needs a wall to stun from and Hou Yi can stun at any given time.

Oh, and to make Hou Yi even more God Tier he can snipe that stun from 3x the distance from where you are standing, good luck even getting near me when I am playing Hou Yi when I just poke you over and over until I just rush you on low HP and pop sprint 3 and your done.

Hou Yi's poke is God Tier assuming you can land it most the time. Hou Yi is a beast at killing running targets, people that try to run will just get sniped off the wall from 15 feet away, oh are they using sprint 3? Yes you may have gotten away but that snipe off the wall is still far enough to catch you.

**** with Hou Yi in a enclosed area and get almost one shotted by his double bounce which is like 3 hits from his ability. Please, I have crushed people in 3v3 joust who camp the titan area with the double bounce over and over. You like to camp in a tiny wall area? Eat that double bounce and say goodby to at least 50% of your HP unless you built tons of defense. Sorry, if your not a tank you probably just lost 70%+ or got one shotted.

Hou Yi's ult is not garbage like people think, its zoning is quite good and I force people to choose their own death, I place the ult where I don't want them to run and they are forced to either run through the ult or run back into my team? Which is it? Because if you run into my ult I'm going to mark and stun you right inside of it.

The only thing I say is garbage is his 3 escape because Ymir can freaking freeze you out of it which is stupid as hell when your in the air.

How I play Hou Yi is that I bank shot poke over and over until they are around 70% HP.

If they are alone and on 70% HP I can 1v1 solo them majority of the time unless they out play me. After I poke them to 70% I mark them and rush them with sprint 3 making me hard as hell to attack. I usually place the ult just behind them so they are force to either walk through it or fight me face to face. From this point I start wrecking them and some times they will get desperate to escape and try running through my ult. I usually try to stun them before this or right as they are going through it, then after I stun them I fly into the air and knock them back into it for a split second and auto them to death.

If by any chance they are getting away on like 15% HP and I can't catch them, I pull out the sniper rifle and bank that **** off the wall and they go bye bye and I ****ing say "Get sniped *****".

Hou Yi's passive is amazing too, I can't be crit for 3's? Lol, get wrecked is all that means especially when I land all the banks shots and stuns your def getting messed up before you crit me again and thats assuming they even land a crit in the first place!!!

So someone please explain to me how Hou Yi is garbage and low tier when I see him as being super good if you land all your bounces and stuns.

The only reason I see is : He takes more skill and has to bank shots therefor people do not want to deal with sometimes missing a bank therefor do not pick him when you can be a easy rama who shoots strait?

Explain to me how this God is bad assuming you land majority of his banks he should be good as hell being that he severely out ranges other hunters, he can stun without bouncing which gives him at least one free crit on you, his ult although damage over time is a big AOE and is big enough to mess up a team fight or zone to screw the other team over.

His bounce stun is what makes him God Tier to me, the fact that you can continually poke over and over and they cannot do a thing about it.

Lets just pretend shall we?

Lets just pretend you faced a Hou Yi with 100% Aim bot hacks on his bounce ability. Please explain how you could ever **** with a aim bot Hou Yi when you can't even get near him while he snipes from a distance over and over?

I know nobody is that good, my point is, when your on fire with that God he is God Tier not low tier, I think people have his *** backwards because they think the skill for bank shotting means they are better off picking easier Gods who get kills?

ICEN

Prominent (41)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Zilby » May 7, 2015 7:15pm | Report
When it comes down to it, tiers are basically only seriously used in pro-level play. Hou Yi is fun and totally viable to people not playing on pro level, once you reach that though there are simply better alternatives in picks and bans in most cases than what Hou Yi provides.

As far as gods go, Hou Yi is definitely underrated though. This is probably because when he was released he was underpowered and he hasn't been buffed for that long (also the most recent god to compare him with is Medusa which makes him just seem weak in comparison).

You bring up a lot of good points though, Hou Yi haters don't really have much grounds with which to complain about him.
Smite Account: Zilby__________Steam Account: Zilby
Blizzard: Zilby#11991_________Twitch: TheZilb

I am the most foul, cruel and bad tempered rodent you've ever set eyes upon!.. Oh, her? Yes, well... she's with me.

Feel free to PM me with any questions or comments. I can offer feedback on gameplay and BBcoding tips, as well as moderation help if needed.

Zilby
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (132)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by ICEN » May 7, 2015 7:45pm | Report
Zilby wrote:

When it comes down to it, tiers are basically only seriously used in pro-level play. Hou Yi is fun and totally viable to people not playing on pro level, once you reach that though there are simply better alternatives in picks and bans in most cases than what Hou Yi provides.

As far as gods go, Hou Yi is definitely underrated though. This is probably because when he was released he was underpowered and he hasn't been buffed for that long (also the most recent god to compare him with is Medusa which makes him just seem weak in comparison).

You bring up a lot of good points though, Hou Yi haters don't really have much grounds with which to complain about him.
Well I'm switched over to Xbox now so all the patches I am on are like a month behind.

Medusa just came out on Xbox One yesterday I think it was.

She is un-nerfed and I have beat her alot with Hou Yi (not counting the scrub Medusa's).

I do not really see how Medusa is even OP to be honest, I can see how she can be an annoying *** hunter but I really cannot see her being OP compared to Bellona's stupid OP *** when she came out before her nerf. OMFG, there was like no counter to Bellona, no matter what God I picked it would take 4 people to take her on and half the time she solo'd 3 of my team mates....

The only thing Medusa have that gets me killed is her Ult, that is the only time I have died over and over to Medusa, I do not see anything else that would make her OP even on the Xbox un-nerfed.

I think her ult is strong as **** when your forced to eat 2-3 crits while stunned but even then I can buy Beads and get out just like you would with an Anubis wrap or Ymir freeze?

Then again, I haven't played her myself yet, just been playing against her.

This is what I think when I see her face to face as Hou Yi.

- Its Medusa
- Just need to not get hit by that ult
- She has a dash so I know what her distance actually is

Thats about it.....

I don't really understand how she is super op unless I am missing something or the Medusa's I been facing are not as good with her yet since she just came out yesterday.

The ONLY thing I think is strong as **** is her ultimate because you pretty much die after getting hit by it and half the time I cannot think fast enough to turn around and get frozen by that time.

So I will get her that, her ult is strong as **** when she can crit and kill you after it, but I don't see anything else that makes me afraid to face her.

I have merked alot of Medusa players thus far and the only time they wreck me is when they ult me.

So what I am saying is

If she can ult me she will win, if she can't ult me then I don't see a problem, she seems regular to me.

Only thing is that ult, I don't see anything else OP?

To be honest I have to go back and look at her skills

All I know is that in game she did not seem that OP to me, her ult was the only thing that could ever get me killed, assuming I avoid the ult I have no more problems fighting medusa than I would a Xblanque or Rama.

ICEN

Prominent (41)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Arvorus » May 7, 2015 8:32pm | Report
It's mainly because she had so much poke in her Viper Shot and Acid Spray, and because her Lacerate and Petrify hit so hard. However, since Hou Yi outranges her, and since you know how to position against her, you shouldn't have a problem.
Credit goes to Faythe!

Arvorus
<Superb Sniper>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (10)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Zilby » May 7, 2015 9:00pm | Report
What Arvorus said. Against most ADCs she was able to get kills early with her ult. This would commonly lead to a snowball effect and well.. a fed ADC just wrecks your team. I will concede Bellona the immortal was by far the most broken. Even with her nerfs she's still a bit too strong compared to other warriors.
Smite Account: Zilby__________Steam Account: Zilby
Blizzard: Zilby#11991_________Twitch: TheZilb

I am the most foul, cruel and bad tempered rodent you've ever set eyes upon!.. Oh, her? Yes, well... she's with me.

Feel free to PM me with any questions or comments. I can offer feedback on gameplay and BBcoding tips, as well as moderation help if needed.

Zilby
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (132)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by ICEN » May 7, 2015 9:31pm | Report
Zilby wrote:

What Arvorus said. Against most ADCs she was able to get kills early with her ult. This would commonly lead to a snowball effect and well.. a fed ADC just wrecks your team. I will concede Bellona the immortal was by far the most broken. Even with her nerfs she's still a bit too strong compared to other warriors.
Lol, Bellona is like Herc 3.0 but a female version and worst before his 120% heal.

Well I haven't been playing conquest much because the people I am playing with keep spamming 3v3 and siege.

So most Medusa's I been facing are in those modes.

I actually just got done ****ping on a Medusa with Guan Yu's horsey :D

Mah team mate dat bellona

ICEN

Prominent (41)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Devampi » May 9, 2015 6:56am | Report
well for me Medusa needs to be combo'd with an Athena for guarenteed ult hit mage can then finish it (especcially if it's a Scylla).

Well I don't know how hou 1 missle speed is (and teh range nowadays have played him sometimes and never randommed him a lot (2x)(haven't pklayed past last weeks)) because really the range wasn't that great (you couldn't bounce it 2 in lane unless you cut out half of the normal range) and with that missele speed it had (that was pretty horrible)

Devampi
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (105)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Greenevers » May 9, 2015 2:47pm | Report
The problem with Hou Yi is that he does a lot of things "averagely". Compare Hou Yi's 3 to any other leap or dash. It's ********s...

He has decent cc, which is all conditional though. He heavily depends on his mark and since you can't mark more than one enemy, you only have cc against one god at a time. Mark is only good for boxing and poking in lane, eh in team fights. His ult does zone fairly well like Ah Puch's ult but eh... Even with an Ares ultimate or something else to set it up, enemies will take 4 of the suns, max. His ultimate should slow everyone like Ah Puch's ultimate or Pillar of Agony.

One more thing about Hou Yi is his attack speed. It's lower than some guardian attack speeds early game. It's so horrible, you've got to notice it.

If his 3 was just redone, I could see Hou Yi being a viable counter pick to Artemis.

Greenevers
<Retired Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (105)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Diomedes232 » May 10, 2015 9:53am | Report
to bring hou yi in line with other hunters they need to reduce the cool down on his mark to like 5 secs but only allow it to be applied to one target at a time so that he can switch targets better in a teamfight and better adapt to prioritize more pressing targets. That and buff the takeoff time on his 3

Diomedes232

Remarkable (6)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by TheGenocideLord » May 10, 2015 10:37am | Report
On the bright side, some pros seem to think that Hou Yi is better than Neith and Apollo :)
What my yearbook quote should be: "Fluorine Uranium Carbon Potassium Ytrrium Oxygen Uranium Bismuth Technetium Einsteinium"

TheGenocideLord

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (13)
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

SMITEFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new god, or fine tune your favorite SMITE gods’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 SMITEFire | All Rights Reserved

} } } } }