Smitefire logo

Join the leading SMITE community.
Create and share God Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Enough with the mages....

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on SmiteFire.

Forum » General Discussion » Enough with the mages.... 22 posts - page 1 of 3
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by TheLazyRaven » September 8, 2013 4:11pm | Report
Hi rez... we need more tanks and ranged carries. Any one else agree? WE have so many mages and very low variety on all the other classes. Is there a reason for this?
Rep+ because you love me :D

Also, check out my Chang'e guide here:

http://www.smitefire.com/smite/guide/change-cant-touch-this-2966

TheLazyRaven

Notable (1)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Kripox » September 8, 2013 4:17pm | Report
Agreed. I love me a good mage, but I've been wanting a tank or a carry for a while. Currently there's only three good carries and three or four good support tanks. (depends on whether or not you accept that Ymir is good.)

If you're looking for a good mage though, there's a lot more variety, and in my opinion more balance. Agni, Poseidon and Isis, who used to pretty much make up the holy trinity of mid gods, aren't that far beyond all the others. I think the mages are in a fairly good spot at the moment, so once Thanatos is released this week (I assume he's a mage) I hope they'll change their focus a bit. Anyone know if Mercury will be a carry? Or wth we get Mercury instead of Hermes?

Kripox

Memorable (10)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Grimfyre » September 8, 2013 4:29pm | Report
I agree, i also would like to add that something needs to be done about Freya, Zeus and Loki imo.... Loki is the most OP assassin can one shot anyone but a tank. Zeus is the most Op caster and Freya recently people seem to have made a set up with her utilizing her ranged attacks and she can 1-2 shot people with it now... just faced a Freya in arena and she went 18 and 2 cuz no one could get near her.

Grimfyre

Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Kripox » September 8, 2013 4:36pm | Report
Not really. Loki is good, but not overpowered, and Ne Zha is probably a better assassin than he is. Zeus is very strong in arena, assault and domination but in Conquest, the main mode, he's fairly mediocre. Freya has huge damage but it isn't too difficult to avoid it with some coordination. There are balance issues in this game, but these are not the culprits.

That said, I used to believe Loki and Freya were OP too. It's a pretty common view I guess.

Kripox

Memorable (10)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Dark Jaw » September 8, 2013 4:44pm | Report
I don't think Mages are overrated. But Ranged Mages, yes! I REALLY want a Melee Mage, like Freya. Although I may agree, we need more Ranged Carries and Tanks( SPECIALLY Ranged Carries... last one was Apollo, I guess).

Dark Jaw

Prominent (44)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Kripox » September 8, 2013 4:49pm | Report
Freya is hardly melee. I mean, when was the last time you saw a Freya hit an enemy with her sword? Three of her abilities are ranged and her one melee ability is in reality just a power buff for one of the ranged ones. She's more of a ranged mage with melee basics than a melee mage tbh.

I'd like to see a true melee mage. One that has an ability or two that encourages you to go right in there and tear them to shreds at a close range, and a skillset that makes you feel more melee than ranged. There are already a few mages with abilities that have a pretty short range, so it shouldn't be too hard for them to tune a "true" melee mage.

Kripox

Memorable (10)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Grimfyre » September 8, 2013 4:58pm | Report
Kripox wrote:

Not really. Loki is good, but not overpowered, and Ne Zha is probably a better assassin than he is. Zeus is very strong in arena, assault and domination but in Conquest, the main mode, he's fairly mediocre. Freya has huge damage but it isn't too difficult to avoid it with some coordination. There are balance issues in this game, but these are not the culprits.

That said, I used to believe Loki and Freya were OP too. It's a pretty common view I guess.

Ne Zha's moves can be easily dodged...or i just suck at aiming when i play him. But Loki can jump on someone and they will be dead before anyone can blink. Unless they are building like a tank. I think that is a major balance issue.

And my main mode is 3v3 right now, i'm trying to transition to 5v5 but i need to learn what gods are used in what lanes.

Grimfyre

Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Grimfyre » September 8, 2013 5:00pm | Report
Kripox wrote:

Freya is hardly melee. I mean, when was the last time you saw a Freya hit an enemy with her sword? Three of her abilities are ranged and her one melee ability is in reality just a power buff for one of the ranged ones. She's more of a ranged mage with melee basics than a melee mage tbh.

I'd like to see a true melee mage. One that has an ability or two that encourages you to go right in there and tear them to shreds at a close range, and a skillset that makes you feel more melee than ranged. There are already a few mages with abilities that have a pretty short range, so it shouldn't be too hard for them to tune a "true" melee mage.

That would be interesting but honestly i feel like Zhong Kui might as well be melee lol... His 1 is ranged but does little to no dmg on the dot...then you use 2 which is a cone which does decent damage, but then his stun you basically have to be up in there face to use which is when you will typically be ripped open if they know what they are doing. I guess his stun is the main low ranged ability but its his biggest opener lol.

Grimfyre

Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Kripox » September 8, 2013 5:08pm | Report
Grimfyre wrote:

Ne Zha's moves can be easily dodged...or i just suck at aiming when i play him. But Loki can jump on someone and they will be dead before anyone can blink. Unless they are building like a tank. I think that is a major balance issue.

And my main mode is 3v3 right now, i'm trying to transition to 5v5 but i need to learn what gods are used in what lanes.

Ne Zha is consistently banned in tournies and professional play in general due to being so powerful. Granted, he is less flexible than Loki and is pretty much only found in the jungle whereas Loki is a good laner as well, but Ne Zha is extremely dangerous if you can land your skillshots.

He has his ring that bounces between targets, slowing and debuffing defenses while dealing good damage and speeding up Ne Zha, a melee steroid that while not too easy to use effectively can potentially melt damn near anything, a ranged stun with damage and a pull not to mention a very powerful ult that removes the target from a fight for several seconds and that can crit, meaning it recieves a massive power boost from Deathbringer. To top it all off he has a passive that ensures that if he dies nearby allies receive such a massive heal they can outlast almost any attack. Ne Zha has a ton going for him.

Loki, while good, just happens to need better/more optimal situations presented to him to become a real threat. Ne Zha can just chuck a Universe ring at random people and, if possible, ult someone. That will knock off huge amounts of health while allowing Ne Zha to dart right back out of the fight once it's finished. He just has an easier time contributing to a fight.

Kripox

Memorable (10)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Raventhor » September 8, 2013 6:06pm | Report
You know what made me sad? Zhong Kui was, in his primitive state, designed to be a carry. They changed his scaling and kit to mage halfway through.

Totally agree though. Gimme some good tanks, especially a physical or two, a couple carries, an assassin, and another true support
-Demolibium

Raventhor
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Eminent (158)
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

SMITEFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new god, or fine tune your favorite SMITE gods’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 SMITEFire | All Rights Reserved

} } } } }