Smitefire logo

Join the leading SMITE community.
Create and share God Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Advice for a new player

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on SmiteFire.

Forum » General Discussion » Advice for a new player 24 posts - page 1 of 3
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by dragonking564 » March 21, 2013 7:07pm | Report
Hey. I just recently started playing Smite, as I'm only lvl 10 after playing for about a month. I don't have a bad average for wins to losses (18 wins to 13 losses, but recently, I played a Conquest map as Anubis, and I didn't have a very good game. However, I was repeatedly insulted and had to deal with the players on my team raging at me about being a noob, and not doing well. While I don't always play well, as I am human and I do have bad games, this hurt alot. I just wanted to get some advice from veteran players to help make sure that I don't have to deal with this again. While I realize it is just a game, they abviously didn't and I want to be able to play better so that I don't have to worry about people who take the game way too seriously. It hurt. Thanks for any advice.

dragonking564

Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Ragingstorm » March 21, 2013 7:33pm | Report
There's three ways, it's good to have Anubis because he is semi simple to get good at.

1) Play Practice, or play casual Joust. First try the Ra bot in practice, the bot has improved, and can even possibly kill you if you happen to slack. His ultimate spamming makes you learn how to move, then try joust because it's like midding with no interruptions, and way more gold against real players.

2)Play conquest and mute everyone when you start to seem like you're feeding the enemy. (Watch out, no more MIAs will be heard)

3) play with a party. Heck, Smitefire community can help. We can party with you, or invite friends in so they don't yell at you.

The more practice you learn about Anubis and squishy characters in general, the better you get! I didn't know what assassins were, so I used to thought a Wukong can go toe to toe with anyone. Including tanks and whatnot. In fact, back then when I did feed the enemy, and my allies would yell, I used to gulp alot in shame.
All Hail Queen Storm, Queen Storm, Queen Ragingstorm!
You may call me Miss Storm.

"I have returned to the battlefield of these men, and this time, there will be no more salvation,"~Ragingstorm

BB Coding Queen of Smitefire: In the Olden Days, at least.

Ragingstorm

Prominent (49)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Rkraz3d » March 21, 2013 8:10pm | Report
To be honest, I am one of those people who kinda rage at new players, but usually for these reasons.

1) They dont listen to me. So if I tell them to stay back, they will not respond to me and just do the opposite and die. That is frustrating.

2) Not calling Missing in Action calls. Its simple, when somebody from your lane has left and possibly gone to another lane, its always best use the voice commands, (I hope you know what that means) and press VF and 1, 2 or 3 depending on which lane you are in.

3) Calling other people bad for what they do, if a kid is raging at you, lets say, don't talk back, thats only going to make the situation worse, If you are new, you have to learn from the better players. So ask in the beginning of the game or in lobby, whats happening and what your teams game plan is. Don't instant lock a god once you enter the match qeue.

Those are things that get me mad. So based of those 3 things, I can give you some advice.

1) COMMUNICATION. I cannot stress that more. DO NOT STAY QUIET. You have to ask, "When do you want to attack?" "I have a creeping Curse, lets jump at them", 'Stay back, I cant attack, Im almost out of mana." Dont just stand there and be silent. Talk, using voice commands and such.

2) WATCH OTHER PLAYERS. If you feel like you are new and want to get better at a specific God. Look up players that are good at the certain god and watch their replays. Or just watch streams of other good players.

3) Last and definitely not least, PLAY SMART. Don't get over eager and jump into a fight you know is not going to go your way. Know your God's role. If you are Ymir, PROTECT YOUR CARRY'S. Don't let your artemis, or anhur die because you wanted to live as a tank. If you are a support God, SUPPORT OTHER TEAMMATES, if you are a carry, GET THOSE KILLS AND CARRY THE TEAM.

I hope these helped a bit. I knew when I was new to the game, and after playing for a while, these things can get you some wins.

Rkraz3d

Remarkable (6)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Sunfall » March 21, 2013 8:17pm | Report
In regards to the insults, I wouldn't worry about it. In the lower levels, you're very likely to get teamed up with other lower-leveled players as well in order to keep the teams relatively balanced. And from what I've seen, it's usually the lower-level players who tend to have personal issues, as once you get closer to Level 30, the amount of vitriol decreases significantly. The only times I've ever had to deal with significant amounts of rage was when I was playing ranked games, and that has a lot more to do with the currently broken state of ranked matchmaking.

To sum it up, the early levels are where most of the vermin in the SMITE community reside.

-The smurfs who have already leveled up to 30 on another account and make a new one to play in the newbie environment to completely stomp them with their superior tactics.

-The ragers who can't tolerate the slightest of mistakes on their team's behalf, and will not hesistate to spew insults at them for their "bad" plays (Or if they're the ones dying, they blame everyone else for not keeping them alive and leave the game).

-The n00b trolls who play badly not because they're new, but because they like to see their team rage at their suicidal plays or how they picked up all four boots in their build when the passives clearly state they don't stack.

-The former LoL players moving to SMITE, who carry with them their concepts, lingo, and mannerisms from that game. They aren't all bad (I used to play LoL before I started SMITE back in June), but the LoL community is notorious for it's vitriol, and more often than not, they tend to think everything they did back in LoL is acceptable here too.

Once you climb through those lower levels, the vermin tend to get filtered out and you start seeing friendlier players with a better grasp of the game and sportsmanship. Of course, the matchmaking can still throw a few bads here and there simply because premade partys are still allowed in the solo queues, but that's a topic for another day.
Waiting on a good new MOBA, please.

Sunfall
<Veteran>

Prominent (29)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by dragonking564 » March 22, 2013 9:18am | Report
Thanks for the advice so far guys, and Rkraz3d, I will definitely keep that in mind. I generally do communicate well, but when they all started raging at me, I just didn't want to talk with them. As for the play smart thing, well, unfortunately, I seem to try to bring the same play style back from my MMORPG days into this, which isnt helping my case.

dragonking564

Permalink | Quote | +Rep by LevasK » March 22, 2013 4:02pm | Report
Mute or tell them : Stuff it ghoul! It makes even a bad game look a bit better

LevasK
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (52)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Nogglez » March 22, 2013 4:44pm | Report
Actually Sunfall, I saw a dramatic increase in rage as I levelled and players got more competitive. Lower levels everyone EXPECTS you to be new, so the rage is uncommon, atleast for me. I get raged at every other game at 30...
Rep me up if I helped!

Nogglez

Established (19)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Sunfall » March 22, 2013 5:33pm | Report
Nogglez wrote:

Actually Sunfall, I saw a dramatic increase in rage as I levelled and players got more competitive. Lower levels everyone EXPECTS you to be new, so the rage is uncommon, atleast for me. I get raged at every other game at 30...

That's weird... because I've had very few games where people are genuinely pissed off. Though maybe my definition of rage could be different from yours. Or maybe I have just been getting very lucky these past few weeks. If anything, it might just be the fact that a good amount of my losses recently are simply due to a leaver, so there is really nobody to blame but the guy who left us to fight a 4v5.

Usually, when I think of rage, it usually involves players spewing out unpleasant insults, often involving the words "****ing ****** noob" and other profanities, and usually ending with the phrase "plz uninstall" after all of it. I haven't been seeing much of that, certainly nowhere near the amount I endured in LoL.
Waiting on a good new MOBA, please.

Sunfall
<Veteran>

Prominent (29)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Nogglez » March 22, 2013 6:39pm | Report
I consider raging to be insulting, sarcastic, or bad mannered behavior to your teammates. Maybe people just get so into the game they just cant stand facing defeat due to their team not being up to par with them. Either way, sometimes people need to be reminded, no matter how competitive, it IS just a game.
Rep me up if I helped!

Nogglez

Established (19)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Ragingstorm » March 22, 2013 6:51pm | Report
I agree. Some players get really competitive, if they're like that, why don't they just go to ranked and play? Let alone bully someone that is new. I especially dislike the ragers. It's like you think they'll just caps lock you to death with their insults. Their raging can brew up one heck of a storm at times.
All Hail Queen Storm, Queen Storm, Queen Ragingstorm!
You may call me Miss Storm.

"I have returned to the battlefield of these men, and this time, there will be no more salvation,"~Ragingstorm

BB Coding Queen of Smitefire: In the Olden Days, at least.

Ragingstorm

Prominent (49)
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

SMITEFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new god, or fine tune your favorite SMITE gods’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 SMITEFire | All Rights Reserved

} } } } }