Smitefire logo

Join the leading SMITE community.
Create and share God Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Physical Bruiser Guan better tank than Magical Tank Guan?

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on SmiteFire.

Forum » Theory Crafting » Physical Bruiser Guan better tank than Magical Tank Guan? 2 posts - page 1 of 1
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Talenhiem » January 15, 2014 11:26am | Report
I heard from someone that the old Guan Yu was a better bruiser than the new Guan Yu, and that the new Guan Yu is a better tank than the old Guan Yu. Since this is opposite of what I think it should be, I'm gonna figure it out.

Old Guan Yu:

Fortified Defense: Guan Yu gains +15 physical and magical protection when he is near friendly or enemy structures.

Tranquil Gift: Guan Yu's tranquil leadership is infectious and, when focused, heals himself and his allies for 50/80/110/140/170 (+30% of your magical power). Healing friendly gods reduces all cooldowns by 2s.
Cost: 60/70/80/90/100 mana.
Cooldown: 14 seconds.

Warrior's Will: Guan Yu charges forward, his Green Dragon Crescent Blade extended in front of him. After passing through the area, enemies are damaged for 80/135/190/245/300 (+50% of your magical power) magical damage and slowed by 20% for 2s. Hitting enemy gods lowers all cooldowns by 2s.

Taolu Assault: Guan Yu spins his blade in a controlled but furious display, slicing enemies for 15/20/25/30/35 (+15% of your magical power) magical damage every .4s for 4s. Each hit debuffs the enemies' protections by 10 while buffing Guan Yu the same amount, up to 3 stacks, for 3s. Guan Yu is immune to knockback for the duration.

Tactician's Advantage: Guan Yu attacks 3 times. Enemies take 75/100/125/150/175 (+20% of your magical power) magical damage and are slowed by 25% for 2s. Enemies hit a 2nd time take 150% damage and are silenced for 2s. Enemies hit a 3rd time take 200% damage and are stunned for 1.5s. Guan Yu is immune to crowd control for the duration.
Cost: 80/90/100/110/120 mana.
Cooldown: 90 seconds.

New Guan Yu:

Painless: Guan Yu gains force of will as he takes damage. Each instance of damage he receives charges up his Conviction ability, increasing its healing by up to 2x after 20 hits.

Tranquil Gift: Guan Yu�¢ï¿½ï¿½s courageous leadership is infectious and, when focused, heals himself and his allies by 50/80/110/140/170 and increases physical protections by 10/15/20/25/30 for 3s. Healing friendly gods reduces all cooldowns by 2s.

Warrior's Will: Guan Yu charges forward, his Green Dragon Crescent Blade extended in front of him. All enemies in his path take 80/135/190/245/300 (+50% of your physical power) damage and are slowed by 20% for 2s. Hitting enemy gods lowers all of Guan Yu�¢ï¿½ï¿½s cooldowns by 2s.

Taolu Assault: Guan Yu spins his blade in a controlled but furious display, slicing enemies for 15/25/35/45/55 (+20% of your physical power) damage every .3s for 3s. Each hit debuffs the enemies�¢ï¿½ï¿½ protections by 6/7/8/9/10 while buffing Guan Yu the same amount for 3s. Guan Yu is immune to knockback for the duration.
Cost: 60/65/70/75/80 mana.
Cooldown: 15 seconds.

Cavalry Charge: Guan Yu mounts his warhorse and charges for 4s. While mounted, he can steer and click to attack and is immune to crowd control. Enemies hit take 75/100/125/150/175 (+30% of your physical power) damage and are slowed by 25% for 2s. Each hit increases damage from consecutive hits against that target by 20%. Enemies hit on the dismount are stunned for 1.5s. Right-click to dismount early.
Cost: 80/90/100/110/120 mana.
Cooldown: 90 seconds.

So. Which Guan Yu has the better tank skillset?

Passive: New Guan Yu; Painless. Don't get me wrong, Fortified Defense is a brilliant passive earlygame, but it falls off late-game when most teamfights happen away from any towers - and since Guan Yu is a late-game god, he might as well have no passive in said teamfights. Painless makes up for the loss of scaling on Conviction, and while it's technically just a buff for Conviction, since the teamfights happen where the old Guan's passive is usually useless, the new Guan still has one.

Tranquil Gift: New Guan Yu. Painless offsets the loss of scaling, and since the new Guan has physical protection with the heal, it might as well be a direct upgrade.

Warrior's Will: Old Guan Yu. The difference here is completely negligible; the old Guan did slightly more damage due to magical power numbers being higher than physical ones. I'm not really counting this one, but if you want it, here ya go.

Taolu Assault: Old Guan Yu. When it comes to tanking, Old Guan is indeed the better choice. While the new Guan does more damage in a more compressed timeframe, better for damage, the old Guan could debuff/buff 30 physical and magical protections at rank one, and it lasted for one second longer. That allowed the old Guan to put one point into Taolu Assault and level Conviction first, making his early game much stronger than the new Guan. However, if you're looking for damage, new Guan wins.

Ultimate: Old Guan Yu; Tactician's Advantage. While the other one has a horse, and no doubt does more damage, this one has much more support: same slow, same stun, but a silence added onto it. Since hitting the same guy all three times in a teamfight isn't really hard, and twice easier, I can see it really turning a teamfight, more then the new Guan's. Granted, its stun is less reliable, but it has a silence on the second hit as well, which is almost as devastating to mages. My vote goes for Tactician's Advantage, but I can see why people would argue for Cavalry Charge.

VERDICT:

Old Guan Yu!

Although the new Guan Yu is better late-game and has more damage potential, the old Guan is much better earlygame - or the laning phase. Therefore, he would be better at pretty much everything a support needs and needs to do when laning compared to the new Guan, which could potentially put you in the lead when it comes to lategame, offsetting the new Guan's better lategame.

So now, plead to Hi-Rez: if you're going to make one god that's extremely similar to an existing one... give it this skillset, to its very letter. Of course you could change cosmetic stuff to fit the new god, but if you have ONE basic copy of an existing god...

Talenhiem

Prominent (33)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Subzero008 » January 15, 2014 3:55pm | Report
So...remakes are exact copies of the older god, ideally? Not sure what you meant there.

Subzero008

Renowned (112)
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

SMITEFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new god, or fine tune your favorite SMITE gods’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 SMITEFire | All Rights Reserved

} } } } }