Smitefire logo

Join the leading SMITE community.
Create and share God Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

The Dress

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on SmiteFire.

Thread Locked

This thread has been locked by the moderators, you cannot reply to it.

Forum » Off Topic » The Dress 34 posts - page 1 of 4
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Firraria » February 26, 2015 7:45pm | Report
What color is this dress? It looks white and gold to me.

Firraria
<Skullcracker>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (58)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Arvorus » February 26, 2015 8:38pm | Report
White and gold. My friend sees black and blue, though.

:C
Credit goes to Faythe!

Arvorus
<Superb Sniper>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (10)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by TormentedTurnip » February 26, 2015 8:38pm | Report
It's hard to tell with the quality and lighting, but I'll go with white and gold, yeah.

TormentedTurnip
<Retired Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Esteemed (96)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Reverend Belial » February 26, 2015 8:48pm | Report
White and gold for sure, in that lighting at least.
Chaac and Ah baby! Chaac and Ah...

Reverend Belial

Remarkable (8)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Greenevers » February 26, 2015 8:59pm | Report
Blue and goooldd??

Greenevers
<Retired Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (105)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Firraria » February 26, 2015 9:40pm | Report
What the actual ****. It looks black and blue to me now.

Firraria
<Skullcracker>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (58)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by TormentedTurnip » February 26, 2015 9:58pm | Report
Still seeing white and gold. Though it doesn't look pure white to me - more like this.

Also, check this optical illusion out (stare at the dot)

TormentedTurnip
<Retired Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Esteemed (96)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Raventhor » February 26, 2015 10:23pm | Report
JESUS WHY IS THIS STILL A THING

LET ME JUST COPY PASTE FROM ELSEWHERE

Your eyes have retinas, the things that let you interpret color. There’s rods (round things) and cones (that stick out) — which is what gives your eye a textured appearance in the colored part. The “cones” see color. The “rods” see shade, like black, white and grey.

Cones only work when enough light passes through, so while some may see the fabric as white, someone else may see it as blue.

There are three cones – small, medium and large. They are blue sensitive, green sensitive and red sensitive.

As for the black bit, it’s called additive mixing. Blue, green and red are the main colors for additive mixing. This is where it gets really tricky. Subtractive mixing, such as with paint, means the more colors you add, the murkier it gets until it’s black. ADDITIVE mixing, when you add the three colors eyes see best – red, green and blue (not to be confused with primary colors red, blue and yellow) it makes pure white.

See a blue and black dress?: Your retina’s cones are more high functioning, and this results in your eyes doing subtractive mixing.

See a white and gold dress?: Our eyes don’t work well in dim light so our retinas rods see white, and this makes them less light sensitive, causing additive mixing (that of green and red) to make gold.”
-Demolibium

Raventhor
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Eminent (158)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Firraria » February 26, 2015 10:54pm | Report
That's a good theory, Raventhor, but it seems that the explanation is something entirely different.....

Firraria
<Skullcracker>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (58)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Raventhor » February 27, 2015 1:23am | Report
ANOTHER THING

Be careful where you're viewing the dress picture. Some places, especially ones that reported on it early, copied not a picture, but a script that shows a picture. The script alters the lighting on a rotation-based timer, which alters how it looks - white and gold, blue and black, and the in-between faded blue and gold.

So if you're consistently being tricked and you're sure it isn't the lighting, there HAVE been a LOT of places copying that script. I'm not sure if that's the origin either, who knows, the original may just be a hoax using that script. That would explain why people posting the picture generally receive all the same response - it looks like ____, but people viewing popular sources get mixed views - they're seeing a different part of the script.
-Demolibium

Raventhor
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Eminent (158)
View My Blog

SMITEFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new god, or fine tune your favorite SMITE gods’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 SMITEFire | All Rights Reserved

} } } } }