Smitefire logo

Join the leading SMITE community.
Create and share God Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

TSM Apollo Skin Revealed

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on SmiteFire.

Forum » News » TSM Apollo Skin Revealed 14 posts - page 1 of 2
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Alan LaFleur » May 21, 2014 3:09pm | Report

HiRez revealed the new TSM Apollo skin today. The skin is in honor of TSM's victory at the Launch Tournament World Championship where Apollo was a common pick. However, it should be noted that the hunter that played for TSM at the World Championship is no longer with the team.

As you can see above, the skin is branded with TSM all over. The ability are even branded with TSM within the area of effect portion of the spell:

Also, when TSM Apollo's chariot lands it burns the TSM logo into the ground:

The loading screen card for the skin looks like this:

Some of the skin proceeds will go towards the prize pool for a late summer tournament put on by TSM. The skin is only available until the end of that TSM tournament.

The skin was met with a lot of criticism and outrage from the Twitch chat and Smite subreddit. Many believe that the skin has delayed the long awaited Apollo 007 skin. Many don't believe it lives up to the awesome skin that was released for Geb. Some people just don't want to pay 600 gems.

My personal opinion is that I love Smite and I love esports. I'll probably buy the skin even though I don't play Apollo. I love the fact that they put in so much detailed work for a skin dedicated to their champions, to me it shows their dedication towards esports. I love that they are willing to help out a tournament prize pool that isn't necessarily branded or ran by HiRez. Also, I want them to continue doing stuff like this and if the community doesn't buy it, the correct business decision would be to stop producing stuff like Poolseidon and TSM Apollo.

The solution is simple. If you aren't into TSM, if you don't follow esports, then this skin isn't for you - and that is okay. There will be other skins that you can spend your precious gems on. If you are one of the people outraged over this skin, here is some sage wisdom: Stop, you look dumb. Complaining about a skin that you don't like makes the rest of us believe that you are a whiny, entitled child. Nobody should aspire to be a whiny, entitled child.

So what do you think about the skin? Will you buy it?

Alan LaFleur

Remarkable (6)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by UnknownPandr » May 21, 2014 3:45pm | Report
600 gems for this? Nope, as much as I love TSM I really won't get this skin. If it changes alot. Then I just might get it, but it doesnt't seem worth it from what I've seen.

UnknownPandr

Prominent (35)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Greenevers » May 21, 2014 3:52pm | Report
If I were part of TSM, I would feel so honored an actual skin was implemented for us :D. Sadly, I'm not so I won't be wasting 600 gems on a skin that looks decently cool.

Apollo seriously needs a new haristyle

Greenevers
<Retired Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (105)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by SoapSuds » May 21, 2014 3:59pm | Report
I'm not outraged, just disappointed. It's not a bad skin, but it definitely doesn't come close to living up to the hype that surrounded it. I won't be buying it. The cost is too much for a decent look, a few changes to his skills, and as far as I know, no custom vp to go along with it.

I agree that it's great that they are so dedicated to pushing esports by provided skins that help toward a prize pool, but this skin is a pretty weak one, in my opinion, compared to the Poolseidon one for that. The Poolseidon was a different story because of the work they put into it with a great looking skin, nice changes to all of his skills, and a custom voice pack to go with it. I didn't even like playing Poseidon, but I bought it because of how great it looked. This Apollo one looks alright, but it's definitely not as good as the Poolseidon one, especially for that price. Sadly, I doubt they're going to make close to as much money for the prize pool as Poolseidon did. I hope they do, but I'm skeptical.

Definitely looking forward to the other Apollo skin that people are saying is supposed to be coming out in a few weeks.
Comic Series Currently Reading:
  • Wonder Woman Vol 2
  • Green Lantern Vol 2
  • Infinity Gauntlet

SoapSuds

Prominent (43)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Romanians » May 22, 2014 1:15am | Report
Why would people outrage about a skin, it's new content afterall. If you don't like the skin, don't buy it, simple as that.

I like the skin and not because I would be a fan of that TSM team, hell, I didn't even knew what that meant until I googled it since I don't waste my time watching streams. Again, the skin looks fine. I won't buy it because I don't play Apollo at all.

Romanians

Established (17)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Sasquatch180 » May 22, 2014 5:18am | Report
Romanians wrote:

Why would people outrage about a skin, it's new content afterall. If you don't like the skin, don't buy it, simple as that.

I like the skin and not because I would be a fan of that TSM team, hell, I didn't even knew what that meant until I googled it since I don't waste my time watching streams. Again, the skin looks fine. I won't buy it because I don't play Apollo at all.

The outrage isn't so much about the Apollo skin, more so about the timing, Hi-Rez's hype, and miscommunication.

What happened was that the Hi-Rez employees on stream were hyping it up, saying this was such a unique and awesome skin, leading people to believe it was the Apollo skin they spent months working on.

Then the skin was revealed, and people were disappointed/outraged, as they thought it was the premium skin teased so much by Hi-Rez.

Of course it was cleared up later, but the damage was done.

Also for a skin with so little going for it (no new VP, only a new-ish model and two special effects) the price is a bit much for some people, even if the profits would be contributing to the prize pool. The skin is a bit lackluster, especially compared to the Poolseidon skin which was also tied to an event but had so much more work put into it.

Sasquatch180

Memorable (12)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by TheAmazingComicBookGuy » May 22, 2014 7:31am | Report
Sasquatch180 wrote:

The outrage isn't so much about the Apollo skin, more so about the timing, Hi-Rez's hype, and miscommunication.

What happened was that the Hi-Rez employees on stream were hyping it up, saying this was such a unique and awesome skin, leading people to believe it was the Apollo skin they spent months working on.

Then the skin was revealed, and people were disappointed/outraged, as they thought it was the premium skin teased so much by Hi-Rez.

Of course it was cleared up later, but the damage was done.

Also for a skin with so little going for it (no new VP, only a new-ish model and two special effects) the price is a bit much for some people, even if the profits would be contributing to the prize pool. The skin is a bit lackluster, especially compared to the Poolseidon skin which was also tied to an event but had so much more work put into it.

Pretty much this, but let's not also forget it was added after G.E.B. 1, AMC, Bastet (removed) and privatyr skin, those skins were all really cool and people expected more than this for the apollo skin (doesn't matter how long they worked on it, people just seem to want better skins after such skins came out)

My view on the subject is that the community should stop getting hyped and trollish about things they want (fenrir is still a running joke in the twitch channel) and if something fails after so many great skins they should not react like this, but supportive. I love when people voice their oppinions, but if you were watching the stream you know that the chat exploded. This skin is kind of what I actually expected and if you take away the hype/expectations it is a really nice skin. Having said that I don't exactly understand the problem with it being tsm. I don't frequently watch smite e-sports, but you don't have to be chearing for tsm to buy a skin imo.

TheAmazingComicBookGuy

Prominent (47)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Sasquatch180 » May 22, 2014 7:57am | Report

Pretty much this, but let's not also forget it was added after G.E.B. 1, AMC, Bastet (removed) and privatyr skin, those skins were all really cool and people expected more than this for the apollo skin (doesn't matter how long they worked on it, people just seem to want better skins after such skins came out)

My view on the subject is that the community should stop getting hyped and trollish about things they want (fenrir is still a running joke in the twitch channel) and if something fails after so many great skins they should not react like this, but supportive. I love when people voice their oppinions, but if you were watching the stream you know that the chat exploded. This skin is kind of what I actually expected and if you take away the hype/expectations it is a really nice skin. Having said that I don't exactly understand the problem with it being tsm. I don't frequently watch smite e-sports, but you don't have to be chearing for tsm to buy a skin imo.

My view on the matter is that you don't have to like or buy the skin, and you should be able to freely voice your disappointments about it. However that is not an excuse to start spewing bile everywhere, you have to at least have some resemblance of politeness in your comments.

And though I don't play much Apollo, I do think its a fairly nice skin as well, but the price is stopping me from purchasing it. I'd be more inclined to buy it if it were lowered to 400, or was given more special effects to make it worth the price.

Sasquatch180

Memorable (12)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Reverend Belial » May 22, 2014 4:41pm | Report
I know I'm probably going to gamer hell for saying this (and one of you is probably going to send me there first class) but frankly the part I'm unhappy about isn't the quality of the skin, but the fact that they're dedicating development time to promote "esports" (which in my opinion is the biggest killer of a game) rather than actually working on real content. The shift into the competitive scene was what prompted me to stop playing LoL, so it makes me sad that it's moving into the forefront for Smite too.
Chaac and Ah baby! Chaac and Ah...

Reverend Belial

Remarkable (8)
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Greenevers » May 22, 2014 4:53pm | Report

I know I'm probably going to gamer hell for saying this (and one of you is probably going to send me there first class) but frankly the part I'm unhappy about isn't the quality of the skin, but the fact that they're dedicating development time to promote "esports" (which in my opinion is the biggest killer of a game) rather than actually working on real content. The shift into the competitive scene was what prompted me to stop playing LoL, so it makes me sad that it's moving into the forefront for Smite too.

Hi-Fez obviously isn't putting as much time and effort into "esports." This is the first time they have done anything like this and I highly doubt they will have more and more. It was world championships and one skin bruh, relax and focus on how smite is actually changing

Greenevers
<Retired Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Renowned (105)
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

SMITEFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new god, or fine tune your favorite SMITE gods’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 SMITEFire | All Rights Reserved

} } } } }