Smitefire logo

Join the leading SMITE community.
Create and share God Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Is Isis a good God?

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on SmiteFire.

Forum » New Player Help » Is Isis a good God? 11 posts - page 1 of 2
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by HerdOfTurtles » December 22, 2013 7:06pm | Report
A few months ago I started playing SMITE and Isis was in the free rotation. I began to like her very much but after she was out of free rotation I stopped playing her. I recently bought her and have done no where near as good as I did before(it may have to do with the fact that I was playing with new players before). A few of my friends say that there is plenty of mages that can do it better than her. I tried playing her in solo and mid but always get destroyed. Is Isis a good to play in solo and mid, or should I choose a different god?

HerdOfTurtles

Permalink | Quote | +Rep by All4Games » December 22, 2013 11:26pm | Report
Isis is a decent god. There are just a lot of mages who can counter her well. Level your 1 and try to wiggel while you clear the
Wave. Poke them with your 2 and drop your ult if it looks like the enemy mage is going to try to kill you.

There are a lot of other mages that are a lot of fun.

Buy the god pack to get excess to all of them.
never forget dawngate and never forgive EA. Freia will hunt them for eternity.

All4Games

Distinguished (54)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Subzero008 » December 23, 2013 12:16am | Report
Very good. She has a very, very high skill ceiling, and her ultimate is probably the single strongest game changer in the game, if used correctly.

Also, All4, incidentally, how did you destroy the meta?

Subzero008

Renowned (112)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by All4Games » December 23, 2013 12:36am | Report
Meh it means that i just like to put up my middle finger to the meta and i like to play random gods in random places and make them work.
I think the next meta braker is gonna be ymir mid for me.

That sort of stuff sub.

All4Games

Distinguished (54)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by All4Games » December 23, 2013 12:37am | Report
Breaker*

All4Games

Distinguished (54)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Subzero008 » December 23, 2013 12:56am | Report
Well, he does have surprisingly good waveclear, not to mention one of the best CCs in the game.

Subzero008

Renowned (112)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by All4Games » December 23, 2013 1:07am | Report
Yeah i mean his 2 has mage level scaling, his ult is the highest damage ult in the game and his basic's hurt like hell.

He works well solo but im feeling ballzy enough to try him mid. I just have to wait a week to do it.

All4Games

Distinguished (54)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Raventhor » December 23, 2013 2:12am | Report
Isis has a niche she has to fit. She isn't a high burst mage, despite her rather high damaging spells. When it comes down to it, she is a sustained damage mage with her passive and Wing Gust and a utility mage with her Silence/Protection Steal, Stun, and Heal/Damage Reduction, so she must be played as such.

Don't get me wrong, she is a lane bully with the wide area and speed of her Spirit Ball, but she isn't a Poseidon or Agni who's going to instantly rot someone from 100% to dead. She functions similarly to Ra, where she hangs back and remains a passive nuisance throughout the fight who's easy to lose track of.

Now while Isis doesn't have the dash of Agni, it should be noted with her sick waveclear tied into an escape, a silence, a stun, and a final resort heal/damage reduction, she is a VERY safe laner who won't ever lose lane in the hands of a good player. This means she's got a relatively set minimum power scaling into late game. Combine this with a silence that RUINS some opponents, she has a very very solid spot in the game. The downside to this is your team will rely on zoning more than burst damage, since damage on Isis's ult is a lot more unreliable than other mages, and is almost guaranteed to be less damage. This ties into her utility, her ability to zone, but this lack of burst damage means someone on her team, AoE burst is needed. Assassins as a role usually will not have this (Kali's Ult is the only one that really fits this), bruisers will have at most one quick, medium damage ult, or a one trick pony like Thor's spin to win, and ADC's are almost exclusively single-target.

This means Isis has VERY few comps she works *efficiently* with, and it means with Isis, it kind of forces your team into picking one of a very few gods who can make up what she lacks. She locks them down while someone with AoE wrecks them. The inclusion of Chaac, however, provides a VERY solid, consistent AoE burst god that may make Isis fit in well, since he's currently very very strong, and can combo with her nicely (that dual ult though).

If you decide to forego the bruiser solo lane and replace it with a second mage (A much more common tactic nowadays with Chang'e, and my personal favorite, Chronos), it's very viable, as you'll have your sustained magic damage with your burst mage, a tank, an ADC, and an assassin, for 2 magic damage, 2 physical damage, and a tank. Very balanced, and she works well here.

sorry for such a seemingly rambling post, but in summary, she's viable, but she's tied to her ability to force fights where her ult matters, and requires a very coordinated, complimentary team comp, meaning she's weak in solo queue, stronger in group queues.
-Demolibium

Raventhor
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Eminent (158)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Subzero008 » December 23, 2013 2:41am | Report
Um, Raventhor? How on earth is Kali's ultimate an AoE burst? It deals pathetic damage, and the rest of her skills are mostly single-target focused. You sure you aren't talking about her old ultimate?

Also, I don't really think AoE burst is necessary. Just as Bacchus and Sobek have different pros and cons yet can work equally well, I think Isis is just another trade-off.

Your point is that the team needs AoE burst like release the kraken or Rain Fire, yes? I argue that in an otherwise exactly similar team comp, Isis would fit in just as well as Agni. In exchange for less enormous area damage and burst, you would have more CC and higher sustained damage, as well as the massive zoning tool that is her ultimate. I don't view one as better than the other.

I'm not sure what you'd say in return, but I'll say that whatever disadvantages you bring up are negated by the advantages. Of course, since I can't predict the future, this little section could be moot.

Subzero008

Renowned (112)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | +Rep by Raventhor » December 23, 2013 3:21am | Report
Sub, you kind of proved my point on the Kali ult being the only one that'd even vaguely fit it. And AoE burst is kind of required with the meta that exists right now. It's why Ra had a very brief popularity period that fell out pretty quickly. Higher sustained damage doesn't matter when you're dead in 5 seconds - Isis helps you live for 7 seconds instead of 5 while the AoE burst on your team gets their ult out quickly. AoE is simply what's needed with how snowbally smite is right now, and how ridiculously people scale into late game. A full tide-meter kraken can literally one shot people - that's ridiculous. No one spell should ever 100-0 someone in any game, save the Ymir/Nunu ult at full charge.

Now granted, things like Aegis and such are available, but that's a different topic, the point is, burst damage is absolutely necessary in Smite simply due to how team synergy works - if you don't have burst, unless you have a team with the most ridiculous disengage or sustain possible, you'll most likely lose to simply not having enough damage. Isis doesn't have CC and a heal severe enough to completely forego team damage, she just synergizes with it.

The only exceptions are gimmick teams, like Hades ult with Isis's underneath it, but those are countered in an active and ruins 40% of your team's ultimates.

I'm not saying going without an AoE ult/burst damage won't work, it's just not as viable. Teams too focused on single target damage with CC may stall for a while, but the simple amount of damage that's output is just...mediocre in comparison. It's why all the mage gods you see picked in tournaments are considered AoE burst gods - Agni, Chang'e (ult nuke), Poseidon, He Bo, compared to Ra, Chronos, etc.

Sadly, however, Smite seems to be a game more centered around getting the FOTM gods instead of balancing around team comps, as just a couple fed, overpowered gods will dominate a teamfight with extreme efficiency, compared to LoL where it's easy to pick off a fed target with synergy. LoL is comps - poke comp, protect the carry comp, dive comp, AoE comp, etc, whereas smite is more about being able to lock that Agni, or Neith, or Chaac, etc. I don't know exactly how to go about balancing that, but it's just something I notice.
-Demolibium

Raventhor
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Eminent (158)
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

SMITEFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new god, or fine tune your favorite SMITE gods’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 SMITEFire | All Rights Reserved

} } } } }